Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite running shoes

Type
    INTP

Your favorite running shoes

For you regular runners, what are your favorite running shoes? I usually run in New Balance or Nike but they keep subtly changing the lasts with each new incarnation of previously tried-and-true styles so I'm shopping around. I have a freakishly wide forefoot thanks to years of long-distance hiking, so I run in men's shoes, usually Nike Zoom Structure and Zoom Vomero, and New Balance 2040, 1080 and 910. I have a few pairs of mid-range Asics just for walking around and I like them. Are their high-end running shoes worth the price? How about Brooks (which many runners swear by but I've never worn)? What do you like to run in and why?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    I have giant and really wide feet too, and I've been looking for some new runners. Which ones have you found have the widest toe (er, forefoot)? I'm also trying to keep it under $50.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Which ones have you found have the widest toe (er, forefoot)? I'm also trying to keep it under $50.
    Asics GEL-Venture and GEL-Contend usually cost around $50, and they come in a 4E width. Those are the ones I wear for just walking around. I think the padding compressed too quickly for them to be long-lasting as running shoes, but give them a try.

Type
    INTP
    I've stopped running due to bad knees but I used to love my Asics. They fit my feet really well for some reason. All the other shoes I tried sucked for one reason or another.

Senior Member Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    I have asics gel kahana 6 in 14 4e and the fit is awesome. The cushioning is pretty crappy though but I just added better insoles.

My favorite shoes are new balance 990s but they're 150 bucks and look like old man shoes.

Type
    INTP
    I swear by Inov8s. They're very well made, lightweight, fit my feet perfectly, and I really like the waffle pattern sole for all conditions. I use them for hiking and trail running, so I couldn't say anything about the road models. They also make a pair of low profile running gaiters that are pretty neat and keep pebbles out of your shoes.

Type
    INTP
    Asics Gel-Kayano 20

This is just a walking anecdote. First day of vacation a week and a half ago did a lot of walking the first day (for me). The Sketchers weren't cutting it, blisters, feet hurt and all that. A net search showed these got favorable reviews, got a pair and I didn't go lame - did plenty of light hiking and so forth and the feet were never a problem. Fits a wider foot. Expensive but I wear shoes till they fall apart.

Type
    INTP
    I don't run..but when I do it's just athletic shoes.

I do most of my running on the water and in that case it's what ever my oldest functioning pair of shoes is.

Type
    xxxx
    I'll do trail running every now and then. I refuse to jog on pavement. I do the minimalist thing:

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Asics Gel-Kayano 20
    I got these, they're great, thanks. I also got a pair of Brooks and I like them, too - best heel strike cushion I've ever felt. I can see why people swear by them.

There are three things I'm willing to spend money on in order to get the quality and comfort I want: shoes, bed and car. You spend a lot of your life in those three particular consumer goods. Might as well make it worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomps View Post
    I do most of my running on the water
    ... on the water?