Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QAnon

Type
    INTP
    I've known about it for a while and it never held any interest. Right wing people I associate with see it as something retarded boomers are into. Although I would sooner get my news from QAnon than Vice.

Type
    INTP
    I had a far leftist (literally an anarchist communist) friend (up until she fell in love with me and things went to shit) through 2017 and we agreed on the real suspiciousness of pizzagate. She had thought this way before meeting me. I love these people who refuse to see anything suspicious about it. I mean I have never taped a toddler's hands down to a table or had them wear a shirt labeled "pizza slut". There's a lot of things these people did (and posted for everyone to see) that I've never done. But hey, different strokes right?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I had a far leftist (literally an anarchist communist) friend
    Yeah, no, not literally. Actual communists don't date right-wingers. But carry on with your True Story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Yeah, no, not literally. Actual communists don't date right-wingers. But carry on with your True Story.
    But what do True Scotsmen do?
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Story time.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Very literally. I had been in direct sales for about a year before she came on with the company. She was my age and clearly intelligent. I wasn't physically attracted to her but I thought no harm in being friends. Maybe under other circumstances this never would have happened, but see she was a new hire at this crazy, intense job and I was the top seller of the branch and friendly. The other guys found her annoying and pretty much gave her the cold shoulder (women made up about 5% of the sales force; she was the only one in my city's branch).

I was assigned (i.e. she had requested me) to do a ride along with her so she could watch me try to make a sale while she was training. It was about 1.5 hours away, so 3 hour round trip. Speaking of small talk, who woulda thought, I'm actually pretty good at it. So was she. So by the time we got to the house, she learned that I was a neoreactionary and I learned she was a communist anarchist who believed in shoplifting from walmart and bashing storefront windows and such. What would the point have been of getting upset over it? We were co-workers. My boss was a fundamentalist young Earth creationist who I would have sneered at outside of the corporate world, but having to work together can force people to be civil.

So we had a civil discussion about politics for a couple hours that night and both said we were glad that was possible. We talked about other stuff too. I knew by the time I dropped her off she was into me though. Long before that, really. Do you really think things have to make sense? They don't.

After that we kept on text messaging on a regular basis, her looking for reassurance and stuff and trading stories about sales and nonsales and such. Starting out as a salesperson is crazy. You drive 4 hours one way and make a 10,000 dollar sale, find out the next morning they called in and cancelled. Or sometimes you actually do make that huge sale and it sticks, and you feel on top of the world. It's unpredictable and stressful and I served as an anchor, telling her to stick with it and by October she'd be rich (turned out to be true enough).

And as she got used to the job we kept on talking, eventually having long phone conversations and such. She'd always be the one to initiate and I just went with it. I considered her a friend, nothing more. She had issues in life. This job was a big turn around for her. She was on and off homeless, kind of floating around from sisters to aunts to roommates etc, moving on when they inevitably had some meltdown. Also a slew of bad boyfriend experiences. A friend who committed suicide by cop and killed one in the process (!). One who told her his parents had died when they hadn't. One who was on meth the whole time and she didn't know it, then he beat her. At one point she called me and said she was going to commit suicide because she got in a big fight with her therapist, and I talked her down. Despite all of this, she was still holding strong at this company we were part of, and I was, again, very much an anchor and a consistent encouraging voice.

We would talk about politics sometimes and she would get mad sometimes, which I wasn't a fan of. For whatever reason, few things offend me more than when I'm trying to have a discussion with someone and they get uptight about something and lash out, breaking the civility. I began to feel like it was weird that I was in this friendship with a girl where we would talk every day and I had to watch what I said about politics so as not to offend her. So one morning she had posted something against capitalism on twitter and I texted her about it, very straightforward, but she blew up. Things had been kinda tense for the last week or so. I think she must have been getting impatient for me to come around or something, and figured it was time for something dramatic. She hadn't ever confessed her feelings at that point but had hinted at them.

When she blew up on me, I was like yeah I'm not going to deal with this and told her we needed a break from each other. That really did it. Hundreds of texts and calls started coming in, all of which I ignored because she was having a very real meltdown. Finally in a voicemail she confessed her love for me, that she had written poetry about me that I'd never read, etc. This was after calling me a Nazi and worse countless times and accusing me of faking the entire friendship for some reason.

After a couple of days when the calls and texts had stopped, I finally responded and after some attempted sparring on her part, I refused to take any of the blame whatsoever and she apologized. I said okay, let's just cool off for a week or two and then try to go back to how we were. In that couple of weeks, though, I came to conclude that it just didn't feel like it should go on. Not only was I now skeptical about the whole "guys and girls being friends" thing (more on this soon lol), but she had confessed that she was in love with me. When we talked again I told her this and she claimed that she could just make it go away, but I was highly skeptical. I was on the fence, but then she had another meltdown and that sealed the fate of the relationship. Haven't spoken to her since.

So yes, old friend Madrigal who has finally decide to talk to me for some reason, an anarchocommunist did fall in love with a real reactionary. Perhaps she thought I'd change. In our conversations we addressed this political rift and she said that despite my beliefs she knew that "it came from a good place" (or something). In other words, she knew me personally from the job, knew I wasn't a bad person and was nice, and from her perspective was just confused.

But, it so happens that the previous girl I had had a quasi-relationship with was much the same way. That one wasn't as clear cut, because when I started talking to her regularly I was more of a centrist. But she was no doubt a Chomsky loving, Democracy Now loving, bleeding heart left libertarian and feminist. I was somewhere to the right of Sam Harris, but hardly far right like I am today. No, my ideal when I met her was pure freedom and lack of well defined expectations. I told her I felt that "two adults can do what they want, when they want". I was a lot closer to liking her than the first girl, and I thought it might eventually happen but it never did. Also it turns out that things called feelings can get in the way of pure undefined physical mingling. Then I started going way, way to the right, but that wasn't what really pissed her off. What pissed her off was that I hooked up with her without having feelings for her.

I have to say, that kinda "redpilled" me (sorry) on the left-libertarian social viewpoint. Here she was all upset, but what did she have to be upset about? I had been more than 100% upfront from literally day 1 when I told her "I don't believe in love". I freaking said that, word for word. Multiple times after that, too. And yet she still gets heartbroken? She has expectations? And on my side of things, I was learning that passionless romance isn't very good. If I was to love, though, it would have to be in a more trusting context. With these experiences in mind, traditional marriage became clear to me. And shortly thereafter, with that mindset now firmly coalescing, I met the anarchocommie girl.

Type
    InTP
    So when you see a video of a redditor getting validation from Trump and barely forming sentences you think of me? I mean I know I do some shitposting...

I agree that dismissing qanon as some new convoluted strategy to energize the republican political base is the most reasonable thing to do. Much like ignoring /pol is the most reasonable thing to do because of all the racists trolls and autists. (can the same be said about intpc? btw cool story zago) But really being 'pranked by leftists' doesn't bother me at all and I believe that we already live in a dystopia where only corporations have political power so I do entertain conspiracy theories. It rejects the Russian collusion narrative, and so is wrapped up in pro Trump propaganda. This by itself is offensive enough for most people to reject the entire idea of qanon, because they don't want to consider a political reality where Trump isn't impeached I guess (or where corruption has been widespread and common for decades). It describes a blackmail cult similar to NXIVM that occupies powerful positions in our society (aka secret pedo ring that rules the world) and over the course of 1800+ qanon posts has attracted the entire gamut of conspiracy theories that you'll find frequently mentioned in media coverage of it. There is no lack of things to ridicule or even outright hate about qanon. I have never thought of myself as a Trump supporter but I am interested in where this qanon thing goes.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Fyi actual leftists reject the Russian hypothesis too. Not so much that Russia tried to interfere and that the Trump campaign worked with them, but that it mattered. The idea that some Russian idiots swayed the election with memes and bullshit news articles is laughable, and if that's all it takes to cause you to lose the election then maybe you weren't a good candidate/party to begin with.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by LowIQLogan View Post
    ..and I believe that we already live in a dystopia where only corporations have political power so I do entertain conspiracy theories...
    I agree with the notion corporations have too much political influence but it's inane that people think wacky conspiracy theories are the way to address this. Conspiracy theories are counter productive in that rational people dismiss conspiracy fans as wackos (rightfully so IMO) and they become a big red herring to interfere with any meaningful action.

What people should do is try to get restrictions on campaign funding and political lobbying and byzantine bills with all sorts of special interest riders under control. That's far too sensible though, and too dry to work up moral outrage about, so it's much easier to ramble on about evil cabals in league with Satan.

It's even more inane that people think Trump is the guy who would do anything to reduce corporate power. I mean, I don't think any mainstream US politician would but Trump least of all.

Type
    INTP
    btw cool story zago
    Gracias

Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    Fyi actual leftists reject the Russian hypothesis too. Not so much that Russia tried to interfere and that the Trump campaign worked with them, but that it mattered. The idea that some Russian idiots swayed the election with memes and bullshit news articles is laughable, and if that's all it takes to cause you to lose the election then maybe you weren't a good candidate/party to begin with.
    This is true.

Basically all people who have done significant work on their own rather than watching and reading mainstream sources.

Type
    INtP
    So when you see a video of a redditor getting validation from Trump and barely forming sentences you think of me? I mean I know I do some shitposting...

I agree that dismissing qanon as some new convoluted strategy to energize the republican political base is the most reasonable thing to do. Much like ignoring /pol is the most reasonable thing to do because of all the racists trolls and autists. (can the same be said about intpc? btw cool story zago) But really being 'pranked by leftists' doesn't bother me at all and I believe that we already live in a dystopia where only corporations have political power so I do entertain conspiracy theories. It rejects the Russian collusion narrative, and so is wrapped up in pro Trump propaganda. This by itself is offensive enough for most people to reject the entire idea of qanon, because they don't want to consider a political reality where Trump isn't impeached I guess (or where corruption has been widespread and common for decades). It describes a blackmail cult similar to NXIVM that occupies powerful positions in our society (aka secret pedo ring that rules the world) and over the course of 1800+ qanon posts has attracted the entire gamut of conspiracy theories that you'll find frequently mentioned in media coverage of it. There is no lack of things to ridicule or even outright hate about qanon. I have never thought of myself as a Trump supporter but I am interested in where this qanon thing goes.
    Ha, I only posted a video as I wanted to have additional content beyond my few sentences. I didn't think anyone really read articles that were linked so searched for a video to add instead.

You post very little, but the non-politics posts of yours led me to believe you are a sharp person. Hence the (supposed) belief in QAnon, juxtaposed from what I've heard about it secondhand, is baffling to me.

I agree with you to some degree that corporations have the bulk of political power, however I depart a lot on the fantastical conspiracy theories. I think if anyone is well versed on psychology and is paying attention to politics can see that the major economic entities in the US get the laws catered towards their favor, and the stuff concerning everyday Americans is largely a secondary priority. Shit like why building the wall is so important on a federal level but there is no big policy push to make it federally required for all businesses of a certain size to use E-verify, for example.

I'm as cynical as the next person but none of this QAnon stuff passes the sniff test for me. Admittedly I haven't done a deep dive because on its face it seems preposterous. I'm curious what you have found of value there.