Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Unions

Type
    XXXX
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book

Type
    INTP
    Today at work we were informed that the union vote won't include our plant, but it will include our supervisors because they are technically from the other plant. Most of our department trained at that plant though. If this vote goes through they are gonna have a hard time figuring this out. BUT THEN immediately after being informed of this I went out to my car for something and discovered picketers out front. They saw me and introduced themselves as from the other plant. I went inside and asked my supervisor if she had seen them and she played it cool but dropped everything to call somebody and like an hour after that another higher up boss came by to tell us that they are trying to do a card check. They have 90 days to get as many cards as they can and if they get enough we are in. I have had this card check thing explained to me about 150 times now, so it's very exciting that it's actually happening. I want a card!

I am pretty sure I want the union. I just want more money. Money is the only reason I am working, because I like living indoors and it costs money. I understand that some people are worried about strikes and lockouts, but I just don't see that happening. This company has two other plants in the same town as the one that's voting, and they both have unions. Also I was promised a 5% raise at 90 days and another at 6 mos, and it's been more than six months and I have yet to see any of it. All of us in this department were. If they want me to think twice about signing a card they should start by giving me that money.

Money.

Type
    INTP
    Any possible strikes have to be approved by the workers...you'd have a bargaining committee, and they'd draft up an agreement which would have to then be ratified by the workers...so the only real worry when it comes to strikes is if your coworkers believe strongly enough in their side of a disagreement to hold out. A lockout works more or less the same way. Depending on the union, they may have a fund to help support workers during strikes, too, if that were the case.

Good luck! Hope your coworkers all see the light and sign on!
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Another union meeting today at work! Management is really trying to make their case against the union. Their main point is "a union doesn't necessarily mean better pay and benefits" but their best examples of this are pretty flimsy and vague. They also tried to imply that they might have to shut down the company if the union comes in. To make that point they gave an example of another plant that got shut down not because of the union but because of cheaper sources for a certain material "in other countries" (my money is on China). And reading between the lines it sounds like the union plants are getting much better pay and benefits. I still haven't even heard from any union organizers but it was announced that they have our contact info and we will probably be hearing from them. I'm looking forward to it.

All the anti union people seem very comfortable openly expressing their opinions (and they are more senior people who are essentially supervisors) but the pro union people are talking in hushed tones.
    Last edited by pensive_pilgrim; 02-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Type
    INTP
    The company will definitely try to divide and conquer...offer up a great deal to the guys who don't have long left with the company, telling them that the deal is off the table if they become a union shop. The older guys have influence, and since they're closer to retirement, it's a much smaller payout for the company to give them a substantial raise. On top of that, without the protection of the union, whatever 'deal' that they make with the older employees can be easily dishonoured and/or clawed back after the threat of the union seems to have subsided.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    The company will definitely try to divide and conquer...offer up a great deal to the guys who don't have long left with the company, telling them that the deal is off the table if they become a union shop. The older guys have influence, and since they're closer to retirement, it's a much smaller payout for the company to give them a substantial raise. On top of that, without the protection of the union, whatever 'deal' that they make with the older employees can be easily dishonoured and/or clawed back after the threat of the union seems to have subsided.
    According to the company they're not allowed at this point to offer or threaten anything. Although it seemed like they came close in their presentation today. One of the slides had a table showing that their profitability was in the red and with a union it would be even more in the red - and no joke, at the bottom of the slide in small text after an asterisk it said that the projection didn't include over a hundred million dollars worth of tax write offs. But the next slide just said in big letters "What would you, as a business owner, do?"

These are definitely the best meetings I've been paid to go to, and all our raises miraculously showed up this week, so I'm already benefiting from the union. I'm about ready to get out there with one of those signs with a fist on it.

Type
    INTP
    According to Facebook I am now part of a union. I signed a card a couple weeks ago, this is gonna be interesting. I think the company fucked up by telling everyone they wouldn't give out raises while the card check drive was going on. They said it was a rule. But then a union rep came around with the paperwork showing that it wasn't a rule, they could definitely give us the raises if they wanted to. People were pissed, I was pissed. That's when I asked for a card.

Type
    INTJ
    I've never been a member of a union, but I have worked at a few of their headquarters. One time, within the space of a month. I worked onsite at the HQ of both a large retailer and the DC trade union that were fighting them for better worker conditions.
    I really couldn't pick one over the other. It's two oppositional forces, constantly holding each other in check and somewhat accountable. A balance of power. <shrug>
    Sabor original