Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unions

Type
    INTP
    @Robcore, did you ever have to go on strike?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    @Robcore, did you ever have to go on strike?
    Thankfully, no. I've had good friends who were on strike for almost 6 months, though. Hung out on the picket lines with them and campaigned hard to get them social support, too. My union actually donated to theirs, as well. In the end, they got almost everything they were holding out for. I wrote a couple thousand word essay justifying their demands and posted it on our municipality's facebook group...and after it had racked up about 250 'likes', the city came back to the table and settled. I don't know what all went on behind closed doors, but I do think that essay (actually, the support that the essay got, really) was a catalyst at getting things moving again, after months of deadlock. The grass in the public areas of town was about 2 feet tall when they went back to work.

I also experienced when my dad had gone on strike when I was a kid. Not easy to do when you have 5 kids and a wife...but we did it...and since I'm a carpenter now, too, I've inherited the bounty of those hard fought battles.

I've seen people on strike selling off all kinds of things just to keep afloat for justice. It's an integrity that I admire very much, because the people who do it end up making huge sacrifices in exchange for benefits that actually ripple through generations.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTp
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    ...support...bounty...justice...integrity...benefi ts that actually ripple through generations.
    Dang that's a lot of cowbell there.

++++++++++++++

If I'm ever on strike, I'm bringing a cowbell with me.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Type
    INFJ
    I was in a union

Unions relied on the collective bargaining power of the workers but with automation threatening to strip that away they are going to struggle increasingly to be the platform through which the workers can negotiate a better deal