Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is digital art art?

Type
    INTP
    I used to do a lot of digital art before I had to retire my desktop computer. My Intuos2 wasn't widescreen, and my laptop monitor sucks. If you're adept at real-world art, you can pick up digital art pretty quickly, provided you find a decent software and tutorial to get you started. Layers, adjustments, channels, and the infinite brush/tool options give you a lot of tricks for your arsenal that just aren't available irl. Of course the physicality of real-life art is so superior to digital, I think...in large part due to texture, but also, I think, because there's a fixed scale with real life pieces.
    One thing I found though, was that whenever I'd end a long stint of digital and go back to pencil & paper, there'd be this nagging impulse to "ctrl+z". At least for me, digital gave way too much room for refining.

Anyhow, it definitely is art...but as a medium, it isn't as appealing. As a process, however, it is very attractive due to versatility and lack of commitment to choices. Not so easy to decide, mid-piece, to double the width of one's canvas when you're working on actual canvas, for example...but being able to do that is an artistic choice that you can make in digital.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Animals View Post
    ...tedious forger
    One man's tedious forger is another's meticulous craftsman.

Of course, that harsh pen stroke can be made using a harsh pen stroke on a tablet too. You won't know if all you see is the end result.

The same is true of physical art. You can meticulously create the appearance of a harsh stroke as a summation of many many gentler ones. You won't know if all you see is the end result.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    intp
    Randomly, I've started looking at this recently, after picking up a drawing tablet thingo: https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

Yeah, it's art.

I think people mix up "I don't appreciate the effort required/it makes some things easier/I don't like it as much/it's different" with "it's not art".

Type
    Xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    One man's tedious forger is another's meticulous craftsman.

Of course, that harsh pen stroke can be made using a harsh pen stroke on a tablet too. You won't know if all you see is the end result.

The same is true of physical art. You can meticulously create the appearance of a harsh stroke as a summation of many many gentler ones. You won't know if all you see is the end result.
    I see the point and i'm not some anti-digital art activist, but i was never moved by digital art, it is always inauthentic to me.
    Same goes for the physical art such as you described. Sure i could be "fooled" but after a lifetime of appreciating art, it would be a rare occurence. An artist's expression speaks for itself.

Type
    INFP

A brush and canvas are as much tools of expression as a stylus and a monitor.

What makes a brush on canvas more "authentic" than the hand of a prehistoric human being on a cave wall?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    What makes a brush on canvas more "authentic" than the hand of a prehistoric human being on a cave wall?
    instagram /s

i think i already shared my thoughts on this earlier in the thread but, yeah, i don't see "authenticity" as being dependent on medium.

generalizing a medium itself as "inauthentic" is weird to me. like if you're only judging by that medium's conventions, it might point to a lack of imagination, cuz there's always a way to work outside the conventions and isn't that how a lot of innovation happens? like in every medium.

i don't know what authenticity means in this context exactly. are we talking about some kind of "purity" in intent, or artistic merit, or what?

on digital painting in particular, every single person i've known who's very adept at it first mastered traditional painting techniques. those skills carry over into the digital realm, and most digital art tools /software pretty much are designed to imitate traditional mediums in a way. examples: film photography/darkroom -> adobe photoshop. traditional painting -> digital painting

i personally haven't seen much of the other way around where somebody first masters digital painting and "can't draw/paint" (example).

edit: maybe digital art / fields that depend heavily on digital tools aren't seen as "legit" cuz they're newer and there's a perception of a lack of ~theory~ or schools or thought, and there's the idea that digital tools democratize art-making and require less resources to get into which works against them gaining this "high brow" status of Real Art... but that's not really true in my opinion, and i think that perception will one day change.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 03-26-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    i sneeze like a grandpa.