Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Nationwide Prison Strike

Type
    INTP
    (I have only skimmed the discussion)

Here are a few of my beefs with the law enforcement and correction system:

• Incarceration is not a deterrent for the future. All non-violent crimes (economic crimes, fraud, etc) are usually dealt with fines, or, in the corrupt parts of the world I have lived, with bribery to the authorities, before even it is considered an official crime. As for violent crimes, those criminals that habitually exhibit criminal behaviour are not going to be deterred in prison. In fact, it is like they are send to a college for criminals. They improve their ways in prison and become better at it when they are out.
    • The punishment is always disproportionate with the crime. Loss of freedom, restraining, confinement, being enclosed in a space with other hardened criminals that might pose a thread to their personal safety and then, when and if they are out, significant difficulty to ever find a decent job.
    • The system is designed to catch only the small fish. I can never honestly agree that it is a good thing to incarcerate the small time drug dealer, who is also a user (victim) themselves, not while the big-time dealers are corporations, untouchable people, or part of the government or law enforcement themselves. In that sense, the whole law enforcement system only serves as a symbolism, as a deterrent to the population who has not (yet) engaged in any sort of criminal behaviour.
    • The living conditions inside prison are below any reasonable, 21th century standard and dehumanising, at least in the more corrupt parts of the world are.

The whole law enforcement system, if it does not serve as an opportunity for inmates to redeem themselves and be able to smoothly integrate into society later, it is nothing more than government revenge to those who are not filthy rich or too well-connected. It does not even serve to keep criminals isolated from society, cause rapes still happen and are way under-reported, murders and robberies still happen, gangs and Mafia groups still get protection money, drugs are still sold everywhere, violence still happens and in many places it is not even frowned upon, government fraudulent activities, launder money, bribery money are a world-wide fact. It is a very inefficient system, that does not protect society from crime, gives habitual criminals an opportunity to connect and refine their "skills", while making redemption and re-integration very hard for those prisoners that might have otherwise been inclined to.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Awesome. You've checked off all the boxes for Norway, but I can't take you seriously. Sorry. You're not only NOT going to convince me to welcome murdering rapists into my world, you're not going to convince me they should be allowed in yours depite your most idealistic hopes.

Instead, I'm comforted by the speculation that there is some cultural difference allowing.for Norway's citizens to administer the proper justice to such offenders when they are out of prison...say, rejecting them outright to freeze to death after they are released rather than welcoming them back with their horrendous crimes forgiven.
    Everyone is one act away from being a murderer. Prisoners often do not even realize the reason why they did what they did. Why are they mentally deranged enough to commit rape or murder or child molestation? Do you really think everyone who commits these sorts of crimes is a sociopath? I don't...I think they're messed up people who went down the wrong rabbit hole. The correlation between crime and mental illness is also a factor too obvious to overlook. They're just human beings.

I spent a number of years working for the Child Development Center in my town, and for a youth center for at-risk youth...in both jobs I worked with a number of kids who were on a trajectory for a life of delinquency. They were all just human. Some got steered better, others not so much...but if any of them committed a murder or rape, I wouldn't think that being deprived of tv or a decent job, or an opportunity to ride a bicycle would set them straight...and I'm quite certain that sitting in an empty cell for years thinking about things is a recipe for more mental dysfunction. People need healthy human connections to be healthy humans.

Do you know many/any criminals?
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Everyone is one act away from being a murderer.

I've heard more than a few people at work say "there but for the grace of God go I".

You could be happily texting on your phone while driving and next minute; 3 years in the slammer.

Type
    INTp
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    ...I spent a number of years working...for a youth center for at-risk youth...
    I hope it brought joy to those kids and gave them the inspiration to make different choices than ones that would lead them towards a criminal adulthood.

I helped to support war refugees for a time in my younger days. I hope my participation brought some kind of peace to them, even if it might have only been temporary.

Do I know any criminals? Come on, dude. Of course I don't.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-31-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    I imagine one or two guys broke down and wanted to buy some commissary, and that guy got beat up.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    intp
    I knew most prisoners have a history that starts very young (there are behavioural markers from the age of 3) but the news just said that 65% have not exceeded the education level of an 11 year old (I think about the same percentage have never had a job).

That would probably be my experience; the majority of prisoners have behavioural issues that have not enabled them to succeed. A large percentage of that majority would have those behavioural issues as a result of their home and/or social environment or a combination of genes and environment.

The rest were brought up properly/adequately but are: addicted (drunk or drugged), perverted, fraudulent/greedy or angry husbands.

Interesting that education is highly correlated with reoffending and the higher the level of education the lower the rate of reoffending (attaining a Masters is correlated with a 0% reoffending rate).