Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PreSchool Report Card

Type
    INTP
    Good news for those concerned: in the mountain of bullshit paperwork that the teacher has to do, this particular item often gets neglected.

I had some thoughts about how in the medical system, reimbursement at the organization level is directly tied to [certain, flawed measures of] overall performance. One result is that hospitals pay damn good money to hire nurses and doctors. They can't afford to go without good nurses because nursing directly impacts patient care and thus hospital reimbursement.*

I wonder if a similar reimbursement system would actually benefit teachers. Give them more power within the system.

*It would still greatly behoove medical establishments to hire more nurses and to involve all employees in system governance, IMO.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I was very sensitive. In kindergarten, I got in trouble for painting a monster instead of flowers, etc. I was crushed! lol
    I used to cry in Kindergarten if the teacher told me I made any sort of mistake such as spelling my name wrong. I thought I was in trouble and was going to be punished for it.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I used to cry in Kindergarten if the teacher told me I made any sort of mistake such as spelling my name wrong. I thought I was in trouble and was going to be punished for it.
    Yep. I started begging my parents not to take me to school.

**Although I was easily hurt and very anxious, I wasn't completely beaten down because I didn't just accept their opinions blindly. I remember being angry over the monster debacle. I thought I should have the right to draw a monster. She said to draw something that reminds you of spring. I did.**

The rejection of me for who I was (at a young age) absolutely helped shape the adult I became.

Also, I'm sure the faces are given for stupid shit like "failure to raise hand." Oh yeah. Better nip that in the bud.

It sounds like kids are being groomed for adulthood very young, like they are cogs in a machine. Schools just want to flaunt high test scores. Who cares.
    Last edited by Lurker; 09-08-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Yep. I started begging my parents not to take me to school.
    I just dealt with it. By second grade I was purposely not doing my work and letting the teacher punish me by keeping me inside from recess everyday. It didn't really seem like a huge punishment to me. I'm sure I got some notes on my report card about that. Unsatisfactory classwork or something.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Hmm, may be a good chance to teach your kid how to deal with criticism actually. As long as you deal well with it yourself anyway. At that age, they won't know how to interpret the score cards so it'll be up to you.

Type
    INtP
    I just dealt with it. By second grade I was purposely not doing my work and letting the teacher punish me by keeping me inside from recess everyday. It didn't really seem like a huge punishment to me. I'm sure I got some notes on my report card about that. Unsatisfactory classwork or something.
    I liked being sent to the library instead of recess. That was a win. The constant badgering over messy writing, or writing my name on the board if I forgot my homework, that got to me. Losing points for my team. I became increasingly more nervous, so more scattered too. It was all petty stuff. My grades were only dragged down by lost homework, so something unrelated to knowledge. I loved "academic" school.

It just sounds like SJ bullshit. Is the child in a behavioral modification program? No.

Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    Hmm, may be a good chance to teach your kid how to deal with criticism actually. As long as you deal well with it yourself anyway. At that age, they won't know how to interpret the score cards so it'll be up to you.
    I don't think a normal four-year-old should be criticized for behaving like a normal four-year-old. Really, criticism is part of life. A confident, happy child is better equipped to deal with life in every way. "Criticism training" is ridiculous. Even dog training is more progressive than some of the stuff I've read.

Criticism should always be constructive, gently steering the kid the right direction.

"Make the right thing easy to do, and the bad stuff hard." -- Some dog trainer.

This works beautifully with kids and animals.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    When I was four, my brother told me Smurfs were real, and hiding in the woods. I spent an hour looking for them.

I thought I would die if I swallowed gum.

Dog intellect = two-year-old intellect

The emoticon isn't the issue, although it's easy to pretend it is for laughs.

A tough, resilient kid would shrug it all off. A sensitive kid definitely wouldn't.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

(Good one. )

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ

(Good one. )
    I'm going all in on some of you guys having serious issues before you even stepped foot in school.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I'm going all in on some of you guys having serious issues before you even stepped foot in school.
    Ummm, no.