Thread: Bullet Journal

Type
    INTP

Bullet Journal

Does anybody do this? My cousin was telling me all about it. It's become her new hobby.

What is it? You ask.

My initial reaction is equal parts, "oh yeah that looks like a nice way to get organized and be mildly creative at the same time" and "yeeauuuuch how self-obsessed can you be???" Like, can I not just live my damn life without worrying about every detail? vs. Why yes this could be a nice tool for self assessment and growth.

I dunno. Any of y'all have any experience with this?
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, I've been doing this the last couple of months.

I have a little white board in my bedroom where I can keep bullet point reminders - otherwise they completely slip my mind.

Usually about 5-7 action points every couple of weeks.

I've found it pretty helpful... I dunno if it's the baby or the whiteboard but I've been exceptionally productive and organised of late.
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.

Type
    INTP
    The more I look into it the more I think I'm just going to have to dive in.

I do have a lot of stuff I need to get on top of, and setting up a bullet journal in itself might work as a form of procrastination. ...win-win?
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 09-04-2018 at 03:57 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Win-win.
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i tried something like this recently but didn't last a day.

i can't follow other people's organization systems and i just have... way too many thoughts to try to organize them that way. i'd spend a LOT of time organizing thoughts, then abbreviating and writing, and the time cost is really questionable. and i just can't have to-dos and thoughts and sketches all in one book. i need more outlets.

i do journal, but not like that.
    i sneeze like a grandpa.

Type
    INTP
    Well, as a rule I don't stoop to making a to do list, it's just not in my nature.

But on the odd occasion when work FORCED me to get organized lest I overlook critical tasks/deadlines, I found that a hand written list did seem to have some special effect that made it easier to remember what had to be done (compared to any sort of computerized scheduler or what not).

Take that as you will, I mostly just fly by the seat of my pants and hope for the best. I'll never measure up to the SJ busy bee standard.

Type
    INTP
    I started one.

So far it just functions like a deliberately organized... notebook.

Which is actually exactly what I needed.

I find that it works exquisitely well for things outside the scope of my smart phone screen. For example I have a calendar spread that shows the entire annual cycle in terms of seasons, holidays, planting times, most important dates. I have a monthly tracker that shows me habits, bodily sensations, and mood laid out at a glance.

I have spreads for things that used to just be randomly scattered throughout different notebooks - budget, trip planning, to do lists, etc - but now it's labeled and cataloged so I can actually keep track of everything.

I am a fan.

The whole system is quite flexible, but I think I am committing what may be a cardinal sin in my notation. The little bullet markers just aren't doing it for me. When I finish a task I cross it out. I want that task eliminated from the list, not just indicated as complete by some subtle notation.

Type
    INTP
    I cross mine out to.
    Instant gratification.

My smart phone is completely useless to me, for organisational purposes. I get over whelmed by the many apps and having to scrol for them, and I don't particularly find them user friendly e.g, I hate the layout and scrolling of the calendar - subsequently, I end up not using them at all.

I prefer to walk around with a notepad and pen.. much less intimidating.
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.