Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sessionwire: Live music production studio that connects you with artists anywhere

Type
    INTP

Sessionwire: Live music production studio that connects you with artists anywhere

I'm not really a music production guy, but this seems like it would revolutionize music recording, a bit. Not sure if such a thing already exists or not, actually, but it's a new idea to me. Saw it posted on my facebook feed, and people seemed pretty excited about it (full disclosure, it was posted by my uncle, who is a financial backer of the company...he's retired in his 40s and just supports cool projects as a hobby now, I guess). I just imagined a bunch of my favourite musicians that I grew up with who could still be making music together in spite of having moved to different cities for work, school, or other reasons.

Demo of a live session
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYuTHahjIQ

Official company promo video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtp5VGfqI0

https://www.sessionwire.com/

Cool that it's free to use, too...and compatible across different platforms (so you can be using Pro Tools, and the person you're recording with can be using different software, and you'll hit no snags recording together).

From what I understand, you can connect with random users, too....like, say you're recording a track, and you need a violin, but don't know any violinists, you may be able to find one through the social media portion of the software.

Anyhow, curious what music production people here think of it.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    xNxx
    Looks promising, especially the social aspect. The big hurdle will be latency. Recording over a stream might prove to be very problematic. There are other sync services like the one imbedded in splice, although people don't use them very much. The fact that this is cheap is a big selling point. I predict I'll have to try it sometime next year.

Researching...

Ableton isn't supported, that's a big chunk of the market. And there's no way around latency, you'd have to audition lower quality recording samples and then get the person to send you the high quality files- not too different from the tools used to do the same thing for the past 30 years, but still much cheaper.

Type
    INTP
    Being peer to peer the latency is pretty low, apparently...just depends on the internet or wifi speed, I guess. I'm told that any broadband connection will be sufficient. They claim to have a set of features in the pipeline that will remove latency altogether in a clever sort of way...but the proof will be in the pudding for that, I presume.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    xNxx
    What's the latency in ms in the best case scenario?

Type
    INTP
    I asked the question, and this is the answer I got:
    https://royal.pingdom.com/2007/06/01...limit-of-ping/

I'm told that the way people are using it right now it removes the latency issue altogether, however.
    I haven't actually tried it, but if I were designing it, the live portion would be at least as good as the very best video chat software, but each input would be recorded locally, and then sent to the other player after recording...so latency would be a non issue when you could just sync the tracks in the software.

Type
    xNxx
    It does require that everyone need be able to engineer themselves. It would definitely be slower than doing it in the same room together. I'm envisioning the most common situation in my profession- you've just written a song and then need to track vocals to it. If there's any latency it kills many people's ability to sing in time. In my experience, the ~20ms added by putting autotune on a track without the delay compensation fucks nearly everyone up, and I regularly have to take certain delay-inducing mastering plugins off.

Long story short I think it would increase the time needed to track a vocal by 2-3 times, because you'd have to send the takes to make sure you're getting good ones. There's also certain things that a vocal producer does in order to streamline the process, like being able to go very quickly and iron out any bumps in the vocalist's path so that they can rapidly do takes and get in the zone.

It's still very cool and promising, you just asked me what I thought.

Type
    INTP
    for sure. I think it's good feedback.

I guess the software would be more effective for production than for live jamming...so you'd record the song, send the track to the vocalist, and they'd record while listening to your track, with zero latency. You'd just be able to give them immediate feedback with the video chat, as if you were in the room...basically just like the guy playing sax along to Paramore in the one video I posted.

Type
    INTp
    The latency issue could be negated by everyone's real-time contribution being synced to the "receiver" rather than the "transmitter" of the data, while all the participants noodle away. Everyone would then be recording in the same spot, so to speak.

I might worry about pitch issues, but that's because I also know something about slowing down vinyl records and sci fi shows using that phenomenon to express time slowing down...it's not relevant now either with digital recording.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The latency issue could be negated by everyone's real-time contribution being synced to the "receiver" rather than the "transmitter" of the data, while all the participants noodle away. Everyone would then be recording in the same spot, so to speak.

I might worry about pitch issues, but that's because I also know something about slowing down vinyl records and sci fi shows using that phenomenon to express time slowing down...it's not relevant now either with digital recording.
    You couldn't really do that in two directions at once, though...because everyone in the party is both a transmitter and a receiver.

Type
    INTp
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    You couldn't really do that in two directions at once, though...because everyone in the party is both a transmitter and a receiver.
    Thinking of skype, I would record my part as it was bring broadcast to me as though it was a multitrack tape.

You only ever get to play your own part. That's the trick.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.