Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you go outside and play?

Type
    eNTP

How often do you go outside and play?

I'm of the belief that a major cause of depression and dissatisfaction in life, is that work infringes on our ability to go outside and play--coupled with all the various sedentary entertainments we accept in place of outdoor play that keep us indoors. I'm not saying that video games are bad, I'm saying that spending time outside, enjoying nature, is like nutrition for the mind, and we are prone to greater misery without it.

How do you balance work and outdoor play?

Do you ever feel happier just looking at trees?

How long has it been since you romped in an open field? Or sat next to a creek and watched things happen? Or just lay down in the grass and looked to study the clouds?

Do you prioritize these things? And how do you balance your energy levels to allow you to do that and "adult*"?

And how do you deal with having to dial back your activity because of age related deterioration?

How important do you think it is to go outside and play? Why?

How would you negotiate with an employer to make sure you have time for it?

If you, like me, believe it crucial to mental and emotional well-being, how much do you think you need for optimum sanity?

*NB: I consider finding time for such things a crucial part of adulting because as I grow older, more and more I am convinced this sort of thing is the key to being alive.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    xNxx
    I try to walk at least 20 miles a week, sometimes just to the gym or the store, but also with my dogs a couple times a day. We have one who likes to go long distances and one who just dodders around smelling the plants and whatever else. I'd lose my shit without that. There aren't many periods in my life where I haven't walked a lot. I like to explore new places when I walk. I know it's not exactly playing.

Type
    INTP
    I walk outside a fucking lot. At least once a day, often twice. That includes the winter, no matter the weather. I don't care if it's 1 degree. I will bundle up and go out for my walk.

I actually think this made my winter more miserable, though. I can't be sure, but I found it especially hard to get through this last one. I mean in terms of the weather. It just bothered the shit out of me. I was dying for the spring and warmer temperatures. Most winters I have stayed in more, I think. Recently my knees have been kind of bothering me though, and inactivity only makes them feel tight. So I gotta walk no matter what.

Type
    INTP
    I'm happier meeting an unknown quota of exposure to sunlight, fresh air, and green space. It speaks to some basic biological needs. Once I'd have to formulate some excuse to pass through those places but it's enough to just be there. For the unsocialized like myself (I work remotely) public spaces filled with chatter offer something too.

Physical activity is a need I tend to maintain indoors but arguably there's more to gain from moving it outside when possible. Most of it isn't "play" anymore, it's a chore. An absurd one. Lifting things up and putting them down again, running around in circles. I'm due for more play but tend to be non-committal about sports. I prefer to just pick up and play a game when I feel like it. Maybe this year I'll stop making excuses.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    I did a bunch of walking around outside just for the sake of it today, both by myself and with a friend. Even on days when I want to spend the majority inside playing video games, it still feels better if I take a short walk around the neighborhood at least once. Helps keep me connected to the world around me and my body.

Type
    eNTP
    @Faust, how do you distinguish between play exercise and Exercise exercise? It looks like to you, play is sporting--so implicitly social. Do you have ready access to wild space?

Actually, that question goes for anyone--what makes an exertion play, and what makes it Exercise?

I use a capital letter because to me, formal exercise is a vice of adulthood and a proper noun in that context. Something about it seems to inject tedium into the equation--and play stops where tedium begins.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

I like to ride in my car outside. Go to the gas station, sometimes ill even get out of my car vs the drive through. Still going outside
    abstractionist

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Johnson View Post
    I like to ride in my car outside. Go to the gas station, sometimes ill even get out of my car vs the drive through. Still going outside
    In my experience, not the same at all.

Type
    INTP
    It's something I hate the most about working full time. When I have a long stretch of not working I get outside almost every day. When I am working it's more like a couple of times a week. Not nearly enough.

Having a kid is a good excuse - it's good to get him outside. But on the other hand I miss the times I would just wander around on my own.

I need to be more active. I need to get outside more. Usually it's not too hard to combine those. For the past couple of months though I've had some minor illnesses and then undertaken a house cleaning project on top of getting just... very worn out, dealing with household stuff, people...

I need to take some long walks.

Type
    INTP
    When was the last time you ran as fast as you could?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.