Thread: Minor changes in environment that make a huge impact

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

Minor changes in environment that make a huge impact

what are some minor, concrete changes you've made to your immediate environment that have caused a significant improvement in an ongoing problem you had?

what was the ongoing problem before?
    (examples: problems with focus, sleep, relaxation, productivity, creativity)

how has it been improved with the minor change(s)?

i'm wondering about this cuz (if you're like me) it's really easy to consider major changes in behavior or committing to "life projects" while downplaying or completely ignoring the environment this is all happening in. i'm also very sensitive to environmental/external stimuli, so it doesn't make a lot of sense. i've noticed that i have to frequently change the places i'm working in, for example. i have my favorite cafe, but once something about the place changes, i'm unable to get anything done there, so i have to rotate between cafes. but i JUST got this marvelous idea that i could probably try to create the ideal sort of working space at home, with the time and energy i currently have. the alternative is doing a lot of traveling and moving. (nothing wrong with that as i've been doing this with working and living spaces as i'm able, but it's expensive and sometimes hard.)
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    general discussion about this topic is also welcome here.

i'm seriously considering switching out my queen bed for an IKEA loft bed just for extra floor space. the risk with this is that that floor space is likely to quickly become cluttered. the benefit i'm imagining is at least going to bed becomes a commitment. (hahaha..ha..ha, but seriously, during the most organized time of my life, i was sleeping in a top bunk.) plus there's more of a sense of compartmentalization. at night, i could put my body back on the shelf, and not linger amongst the rest of the things. ?

i did recently switch my sheets to all white/off-white and eliminated 95% of clutter from the bed. i want my bed to become a sacred space for relaxation and clarity.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    I have a biolite alarm clock that I love love love. It has made a huge difference to my mornings. When you turn on the alarm in the evening it gradually dims itself over thirty minutes, and then in the morning (or whenever) it gradually starts to brighten thirty minutes before the alarm. Unless I am unusually short on sleep I almost always wake up to the light rather than the alarm itself. It's a very peaceful awakening. I never ever want to go back to a standard alarm clock.

I leave my phone outside my bedroom when I sleep.

I also wear a fitbit during the day. Sometimes I wear it at night if I need an extra alarm but I turn the notifications and screen off. During the day I keep my phone on silent and get notifications through my watch. Similarly I find that this is much less jarring than having any sort of ring tone alert me to new information.

I don't know if I'm particularly sensitive to light and noise or if I just pay more attenton to my inner cues than most people. But anything I can do to promote my own personal peaceful environment really helps me.

Type
    INTP
    And yeah my bedroom is super minimal. Luckily I have the space to do that. I think the loft bed is a great idea.

Type
    INTP
    This is something that's too complicated for me to figure out. I'm not scheduled enough to be able to establish a baseline in the first place.

Edit: On second thought, I will say that eating basic foods that don't mess with my digestive system definitely seems to have a positive impact.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    ongoing problem: not eating regularly, forgetting to eat, being too busy to eat

solution: meal prep. ok this does require a bit of a behavioral change but is super easy. on some days it’s just leftovers but the important thing is having at least one meal prepared for the next day.

how does it help? this helps a ton by eliminating the dreaded decision-making about food during times when that’s not what i wanna do (in the morning, when i’m busy, at any time when my mind is distracted or focused elsewhere). it also means i don’t have to cook when i’m busy (but sometimes i still do cuz cooking relieves stress). i just remember that need to eat and that there’s delicious, healthy food ready. i’ve evolved into this weird creature that even prepares my morning caffeine (cold tea) the day or night before cuz i don’t want to spend that time getting stuff ready. this also keeps my mini-fridge organized.

when i don’t do this, my entire life falls apart. i’m still trying to get better but for now this works really well for the eating/food issue.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i'm organizing my living space currently and coming across all these alarm clocks that i used to have up in every room, in every area where i spend a lot of time: bathroom, desk 1, desk 2, etc. this is in addition to the big clock in the center of my bedroom and my bedside alarm clock. i'm putting those clocks back where they used to be so i'll always be aware of the time. i remember this helping me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I have a biolite alarm clock that I love love love. It has made a huge difference to my mornings. When you turn on the alarm in the evening it gradually dims itself over thirty minutes, and then in the morning (or whenever) it gradually starts to brighten thirty minutes before the alarm. Unless I am unusually short on sleep I almost always wake up to the light rather than the alarm itself. It's a very peaceful awakening. I never ever want to go back to a standard alarm clock.
    ooo i've considered getting one of those clocks cuz normally my sleep and wake up times are all over the place.

i'm currently replacing my old stereo (cd & tape player and am/fm radio) and am wondering what sort of radio to replace it with. i was considering an old fashioned clock radio til i looked up some of those biolite clocks that come with radio. hmmmm.

most likely though i'm replacing it with a hand-me-down turntable/cdplayer/radio. i'm just trying to figure out how much of a benefit it would be to have radio playing automatically. radio makes me feel more in tune with the world and helps me wake up.

my life may not be peaceful enough for a biolite clock. (maybe waking up with light would make it more peaceful?)

Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    This is something that's too complicated for me to figure out. I'm not scheduled enough to be able to establish a baseline in the first place.
    have you noticed any specific ongoing issues that could be addressed at least partially with a change in environment?

that's what it really comes down to. i also have issues with things like scheduling, but i'm aware of those things that cause me a lot of difficulty.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I have an alarm clock like this too. I've actually been waking up to light for years before getting the clock, but before I just had my bedside lamp set on a timer to come on at a certain time. The gradual brightening of the light alarm clock is much more pleasant than just having the lamp come on full blast when it's time to get up. I don't use the nighttime dimming feature, but I do bring it in the bathroom with me when I take a bath to relax before bed. I can set the brightness on it and just use it as a light. It's a nicer ambiance than the light in the bathroom. I can even set it to different colors if I want, but I don't. I just leave it on the default sunrise/sunset color.

I got this water filter recently that screws onto the faucet. Unfiltered water comes out of the faucet like normal, but pulling this little knob makes it filtered. I wish I had known about this sooner because I can just fill my glass from the faucet now and have filtered water. It's so convenient. I had a Brita before and was constantly waiting for the water to filter and the Brita didn't even filter out as much stuff. Plus the filter on the faucet filter only needs to be changed once a year instead of every few months. It's great.

Type
    INTJ
    Having a clean home helps me a lot with getting energy to do stuff throughout the day
    Also i experimented with L-Theanine but it was nothing for me. I have high hopes for the future of some substances though. Im looking forward to seeing Nootropics get more research so that one time they will be approved as safe substances. From what i gathered from sites like https://newmind.com they sound really, really promising regarding effectivity.
    Last edited by maxangel; 10-05-2018 at 05:49 PM.