Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you respect a grown man named Billy?

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp

Can you respect a grown man named Billy?

I've never understood grown men that continue to go by names such as "Billy" or "Jimmy". I don't think I've come across a "Timmy" yet but I'm sure they're out there too. There's exceptions, e.g. if it's your stage name or if it's among close friends, but I know guys that go by those names in the workplace. It's impossible for me to take them seriously. Am I being too uptight?

Yes. Let Billy teach you.

Type
    INTP
    I don't find this to be significant.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Billy, Jimmy, and Bobby are usually fine people. It's Pappy you gotta watch out for. He's an asshole.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    More than someone who expects to be called William. Reverse classism!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    No, not in my experience
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INTP
    It doesn't seem relevant. Usually the -y ending is dropped with age, but sometimes it sticks. Then it just becomes their name.

Quite a few celebs and pro athletes go by Bobby, Billy, Charlie, Tommy, etc.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    I've never understood grown men that continue to go by names such as "Billy" or "Jimmy". I don't think I've come across a "Timmy" yet but I'm sure they're out there too. There's exceptions, e.g. if it's your stage name or if it's among close friends, but I know guys that go by those names in the workplace. It's impossible for me to take them seriously. Am I being too uptight?
    It depends.

If he posts threads like this... No.

If he doesn't post threads like this... Sure. It's just a name. I couldn't possibly care less what he wants to call himself.

Type
    INTP
    I've only ever known one Billy, he was a guy a couple of years younger than me, he was an avid history buff and excellent writer, he wrote several lengthy essays about the JFK assassination.. which impressed many.

We hung out in the Peak District.. Alas, he killed himself a couple of years later.

This is the only association I'll ever make with "Billy".

Revs name is Richard, I call him Rick.
    I know his wife and his friends in Wales call him Rick-y.

I don't like "Ricky" at all.. but I've been fond of "Rick" since before I met him... "Ricky" just seems juvenile, and all the "Rickys" I've ever known have been waste men.
    Last edited by Sinny; 09-28-2018 at 01:05 AM.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

All juveniles.

Yours truly, Stiggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber