Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you respect a grown man named Billy?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Billy, Jimmy, and Bobby are usually fine people. It's Pappy you gotta watch out for. He's an asshole.

What about "papi"? I call my cat that.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post

What about "papi"? I call my cat that.
    I think you already know the answer.

My basic rule of thumb is about men who introduce themselves as Pappy, or worse, tell you their real name then tell you to call them Pappy. I've yet to meet one that didn't trigger my slimeball alarm.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I figure theyre derivative and the same-name father may still be alive.
    E.g my own brother is often known as Johnnie when differentiating with my dad, though, to be fair, the old rule was that the same-name son in that situation became "Jack" until ascending to a full John.

Names ending with -y don't bother me nearly as much as the US habit of giving cross-gender names. Met too many men called Kerry FFS.

I do agree, if my name were James (and who says it isn't?) -that I would not want to be known as Jimmy, ever, but that doesn't mean every James should follow suit.

Men called Tracy, or women called Parker, or Peyton? Stahp!

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think you already know the answer.

My basic rule of thumb is about men who introduce themselves as Pappy, or worse, tell you their real name then tell you to call them Pappy. I've yet to meet one that didn't trigger my slimeball alarm.
    Oh man! I know one of those. I've refused to call him Pappy. I use his real name. I'll call him pap (like a smear) before pappy.
    He's not super slimy, he did shack up with a woman who seemed old enough to be his mother at one point, but I think the inverse would be slimy.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Men called Tracy, or women called Parker, or Peyton? Stahp!
    I agree that's unfortunate but there's not much they can do about it short of changing their name. I never knew the rule about Jack, that's pretty neat. I've never met a Pappy before. I imagine you lose several teeth and get a chewing tobacco habit as soon as you start calling yourself that.