Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could move anywhere...

Type
    INTP

If you could move anywhere...

If all that was concerned was the weather and climate, where would you move? I'd love the jungle in Venezuela, Columbia or Brazil, but I couldn't handle all the snakes and poison frogs. How is it down there Madrigal and Roger? So I would choose an island, probably Cuba or Hawaii or Indonesia. The Pacific Coast and the Southeastern Australian Coast would be cool too.

If someone offered you a job or retirement with similar pay vs cost of living, where would you live? I think Georgia the country would be pretty and interesting. Australia has always been a dream of mine though. Is it a good dream ACow?
    "I'm so cool" - Carl Sagan

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'd go to Cuba. I actually looked into it once. Doesn't look easy.

Argentina's okay, if you can handle the unpredictability. I used to be restless and oppose the idea of settling here, but not anymore. Mostly, I'm just not sure I want to be somewhere that isn't latin america. I don't know if I could get along with the people. Argentinean expats I met abroad struck me as sad, my parents spent those years waiting for the moment to return. I don't want to live someplace where I listen to tango and drink mate while wishing I wasn't there.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    I'm moving there (Argentina)

There's a shitload of amazing places around the world, but only a few I think I'd actually want to live in. However, I'd love to try living/traveling for, say, a few months in:

Cuba
    Lebanon or Jordan
    Southeast Asia (Thailand, Singapore, Laos, Malaysia)
    The Philippines
    Tibet
    Mongolia
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Finland
    Denmark
    Spain
    Alaska

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    OMG I don't see France on that list, or Italy, wtf??

Type
    INTP
    Belize is so far my favorite place. It was safe, people spoke english, the weather was good, and everyone was friendly. Good hiking, good diving, a lot of cool things to do outdoors, lots of fresh good produce to be had for little money. The roads could be better, but at least they're not crowded. I think the crime situation has deteriorated there to some extent and there are some no-go areas of the country, but it's still not as bad as honduras or guatemala.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    OMG I don't see France on that list, or Italy, wtf??
    They're too bourgeois.

Type
    xxxx
    although i get extreme wanderlust, i don't really have a strong desire to "start a new life" in new places. i'm too realistic, probably. if money wasn't an issue i'd be in nyc already, but it is. it sounds realistic for me to acquire taiwanese citizenship and live in a city like taipei. i don't like the idea of living in europe unless it's london. i don't like the hot+humid combo of many major asian cities. i wouldn't wanna live somewhere where i'd forever be an alien, unable to mesh with the culture, unless it was for a limited time (or if i was white). i'd like to travel and see more of the world first.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    They're too bourgeois.
    I can't not see Rome after all the Italian neorrealism I watched. And Paris, well, no explanation needed. Those are the two European cities I want to see no matter what.

Type
    INFP
    I know two people who went to Paris and they were both disappointed in it but I couldn't figure out why-- they only had vague explanations. I think maybe it's been so overadvertised that reality can't compete.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
    If all that was concerned was the weather and climate, where would you move? I'd love the jungle in Venezuela, Columbia or Brazil, but I couldn't handle all the snakes and poison frogs. How is it down there Madrigal and Roger? So I would choose an island, probably Cuba or Hawaii or Indonesia. The Pacific Coast and the Southeastern Australian Coast would be cool too.
    You mean Colombia. Columbia isn't in the jungle.

I'd go with Hawaii right at the top of my list. It's incredibly beautiful all of the time and its part of the United States. Puerto Rico is really nice too. In both cases, they're places where it's a little bit hard to find a job that's as good as the one I've got here in California. Climate-wise California is really nice too, so I'm not complaining about it or anything. I would like to live in a place that doesn't suffer so badly from drought though. It's extremely dry right now and sometimes the air quality isn't so great when it's like this.

Just so you know the poisonous frogs are awesome and wouldn't bother you even a little bit. Just don't try to pick one of them up with your bare hands and you could even keep one as a pet. The main thing you'd grow to dislike about the climate in the jungle is the ever-present moisture. Here in CA -- not enough; there -- too much.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.