Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INTP and Boredom

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    By the way, why did you make the thread, @Lilith ? Are you trying to find out if someone is bored? I never get bored (whether I'm an INTP is another matter). Even when I'm not doing anything, I'm in my head, and only real life stops me from being that way for hours on end..
    Yeah, sort of. The INTP in my life doesn’t seem to get bored eventhough he does the same thing repeatedly. I know I’m the one who seeks structure and order but at the same time I pretty much welcome novelty. Sticking to the same old routine seems boring to me. The more I think about it, I’m probably projecting my boredom.

Almost five years of living together, I still have to understand the beauty that is stoicism.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Yeah, sort of. The INTP in my life doesn’t seem to get bored eventhough he does the same thing repeatedly. I know I’m the one who seeks structure and order but at the same time I pretty much welcome novelty. Sticking to the same old routine seems boring to me. The more I think about it, I’m probably projecting my boredom.

Almost five years of living together, I still have to understand the beauty that is stoicism.
    I can't speak for INTPs. But as an INFP, I deliberately program a lot of repetition into my life so that I can free my mind to ruminate on the things that interest me. Some of my best times for brainstorming are when I'm puttering about at repetitious, brain-dead tasks. I don't see it as "stoic." It's just utilitarian: I put big chunks of my life on autopilot, and then I can be productive in the outer world while living inside my head at the same time. When dividing up tasks on a team, I'll often volunteer for the most boring, repetitive tasks for precisely that reason (assuming there's no task that I would actually enjoy doing).

Probably something to do with tertiary Si, which tends to be about creating useful routines based on past experience and automating things (and which INTPs also have). By contrast, INxJs have baby Se in their top four functions, which is more about taking things to the next level. So INxJs are probably going to need more novelty in their lives.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Spoiler: Like so?
    yeah sometimeszzzzz

i think novelty-seeking is highly individual. i need tons of novelty or else i’ll die but i also require a lot of structure and routine to support whatever endeavors i’m taking on at the moment or else i run out of fuel. i guess it’s about finding that sweet spot. for me though my depression tends to be just boredom so (thankfully) it’s usually superficial and easily changed

about being in your head... i’m in my head a lot cuz i’m bored. it’s a response to boredom imo. when things aren’t boring i’m very engaged. i still couldn’t be in my head all the time, cuz it’s intense and there’s high risk of injury.

(i’m intp)
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 10-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF View Post
    I can't speak for INTPs. But as an INFP, I deliberately program a lot of repetition into my life so that I can free my mind to ruminate on the things that interest me. Some of my best times for brainstorming are when I'm puttering about at repetitious, brain-dead tasks. I don't see it as "stoic." It's just utilitarian: I put big chunks of my life on autopilot, and then I can be productive in the outer world while living inside my head at the same time. When dividing up tasks on a team, I'll often volunteer for the most boring, repetitive tasks for precisely that reason (assuming there's no task that I would actually enjoy doing).

Probably something to do with tertiary Si, which tends to be about creating useful routines based on past experience and automating things (and which INTPs also have). By contrast, INxJs have baby Se in their top four functions, which is more about taking things to the next level. So INxJs are probably going to need more novelty in their lives.
    This resonates with me. I use a lot of checklists so I don't have to think about routine things and can devote my mental energies to more interesting things. The interesting part is all happening internally.

And yeah I'm happy to zone out doing something simple and repetitive... But there is a time limit to how long that can be enjoyable.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    If you're the sort of person who is readily described as "absent minded", routine is your friend. It may look like sameness from the outside, but it's also a lifeline to not running out of food, clean clothes, shelter, clean water, electricity, etc. Outside of that, yeah, I like novelty, but most of the time I can satiate it with a novel form of a familiar past-time: a new game, a new book, a new project--all of which from the outside can look an awful lot like doing the same thing every day, but to me, it's still different.

If I were younger and less beat to shit, I would still be craving more novelty in the form of physical experiences, but even there it's easy to settle into seeking novelty of sameness: a new trail to hike or bike, a new mountain to clamber on, a different path up the same boulder, a new bowling ball, a new form to try, a different type of yoga or martial art--with occasional forays into more expensive and rarer opportunities like parachuting, hang-gliding, roller coasters, etc.

The only reason I read things other than signage on a daily basis is because I'm reading things I've never read before.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I'm mostly bored when having to do something I don't want to do, interact with people I don't want to interact with, or waiting on something I don't want to wait for.

I'm a really impatient person, so I find it hard to listen to or interact with slow people/services.

When left to my own devices I can usually find something to entertain me. I'm always reading or listening to podcasts if I need my hands free. I dont mind working with my hands if there's something in the background occupying my mind.

For me, the most painful/boring experience is being cut off from my media sources and having to endure the company of somebody who bores the fuck out of me.

I don't care about your pub meal yesterday, I don't care about the activities you done with your kids, I don't care about the fuckboy you just split up with, I dont care about Nicki Minaj, I don't care how old your grandchildren are, and soon and so forth - just fuck off, u fucking dumb cunts.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    This resonates with me. I use a lot of checklists so I don't have to think about routine things and can devote my mental energies to more interesting things. The interesting part is all happening internally.

And yeah I'm happy to zone out doing something simple and repetitive... But there is a time limit to how long that can be enjoyable.
    Yeah, exactly. I have checklists to get me through routine stuff, remind me of errands and tasks I want to do, etc. Meanwhile, my mind is free to roam while I do that routine stuff.

It's basically just multi-tasking.

Similar to what @Hephaestus described, if there's a new scenic route to bicycle or I learn of a new stream to kayak, then I'll try it out. But over the long term, when it comes to daily exercise I tend to prefer my three same old boring routines at the gym. Because at the gym I can drift away mentally and do a hard workout without even noticing. I can read an interesting book while I do the stairmaster or think about an interesting problem while doing weight machines. At the end of the workout I'm exhausted physically but feel energized mentally with something interesting I've been reading or working on in my head. And I hardly even remember the work-out itself.

Naturally, this mode of "drifting away mentally" and doing things by repetition works best for the small things in life. I don't really want to "drift away" when it comes to the big things in life. If I spend my entire life disengaged from the world around me, then I get into problems of passivity vs. agenticity. If I'm too passive and disengaged in life as a whole, then I begin to feel disempowered, trapped, hemmed in, even victimized by fate itself. If I have no agenda of my own in my interactions with others, it then becomes easy to get sucked into the agenda or drama of others or get led by the nose by users and abusers.

So it's important to have a little balance here. Be engaged, take charge, set some boundaries, have some agendas of my own when it comes to key areas in life so that I feel in charge of my own fate, etc.