Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: The Haunting of Hill House Discussion (Spoilers!)

  1. #11
    TJ TeresaJ's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    mosquito-infested hell
    Posts
    3,327
    I'm reading this with spoilers because I know this show is not going to make it to my priority list. Enjoying watching it vicariously through this discussion.

    Have yall watched The Others? Obviously as a single film with limited characters it's a lot simpler, but I'm wondering if it has a similar vibe.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

  2. #12
    New Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8
    I have been wanting to watch this show. Lots of people have spoken so highly about it. Is it really scary?

  3. #13
    chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    7,618
    dude i just finished and this was SO BAD omg. what the hell even happened????

    it was so hard to follow what they were saying. the ending was so bad. i was cringing the whole time

    I HATE THIS SO MUCH FOR SUCKING ME IN IN THE BEGINNING

    Quote Originally Posted by rowfront View Post
    I have been wanting to watch this show. Lots of people have spoken so highly about it. Is it really scary?
    i don't even know. i'd describe it as a family drama with horror elements

    i personally didn't find it super scary, but i might be weird. to me it's more sad than scary
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 10-30-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

  4. #14
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maņana
    Posts
    8,458
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    dude i just finished and this was SO BAD omg. what the hell even happened????

    it was so hard to follow what they were saying. the ending was so bad. i was cringing the whole time

    I HATE THIS SO MUCH FOR SUCKING ME IN IN THE BEGINNING
    The core conflict is lame. And the ending is the resolution of that core conflict. So, lame.

    i personally didn't find it super scary, but i might be weird. to me it's more sad than scary
    Quote Originally Posted by rowfront View Post
    I have been wanting to watch this show. Lots of people have spoken so highly about it. Is it really scary?
    I live with two cats and I was scared. I started watching before dusk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

  5. #15
    chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    7,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    The core conflict is lame. And the ending is the resolution of that core conflict. So, lame.
    lol i don't even know what the core conflict is

    hold on

    Spoiler: x
    at the end i thought it was the parents wanting to protect their children??? is that what you mean

    i just thought it was a huge derail from what was already going on. initially, i was gonna say this show is like an exploration of family's grief... and that would've been alright with me. it makes sense.

    but they tried to fit in the parents protecting children thing in the last 2 episodes, and then the metaphor of the haunted house / ghosts being any secrets you keep from your loved ones...

    i'm just confused by how they decided to end that. they had a good thing going, but it was like they didn't have time. or it was just too much to fit in.


    i'm actually really disappointed
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

  6. #16
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maņana
    Posts
    8,458
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    lol i don't even know what the core conflict is
    What you thought was something they squeezed in at the end is what I always saw as the core conflict. Exactly as you describe it. It's probably a near-universal sentiment among that demographic, but it's still a lame conflict. All the other stuff that was going on was more interesting and surely the reason anyone can like the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

  7. #17
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maņana
    Posts
    8,458
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I'm reading this with spoilers because I know this show is not going to make it to my priority list. Enjoying watching it vicariously through this discussion.

    Have yall watched The Others? Obviously as a single film with limited characters it's a lot simpler, but I'm wondering if it has a similar vibe.
    Hmm, I did watch The Others and I don't think it has a similar vibe, if I remember correctly. I typically forget almost everything about movies I've watched except for some compelling fragment or other.

    @jigglypuff we probably see things we're familiar with in that movie. In my family the mother figure is sorta like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

  8. #18
    chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    7,618
    ^ i guess they did have core conflict running throughout the series, but i didn't think it could come to be mainly that.

    i agree that it's not very compelling. i really thought it would be... more, by the end. it was so on the nose too. like did i really watch 10 hours just to have it come to this...

    i'm just annoyed again that they used the title the haunting of hill house.

    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    @jigglypuff we probably see things we're familiar with in that movie. In my family the mother figure is sorta like that.
    edit: nvm, just had massive brainfart

    i might have watched that a really long time ago but forgot everything.




    @rep: hm, that would have been really, really different. and more interesting. i agree.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •