Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Reset

Type
    INTP
    my ritual goes:

-collapse onto the bed face down, spread eagle for 2 min
    -take a brisk walk

Gives you the benefit of relaxing then getting uplifted.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    I just tend not to stop.. do something else, keep up the momentum... Save my rest for when I can actually rest (without clock watching).
    Same.

It's not because I'm a workaholic or some tireless crusader, it's just that by the time I'm doing anything enough to have actual momentum, I want to see it through to the end and usually in a specific way. Whether that's a long term project at work or vacuuming my rug or art. The desire to see it through is way stronger than the desire to stop, so I just keep going.

When I absolutely do have to stop though, I find getting out and being around people (but not interacting with them) helps. For me, that's counter intuitive because I hate most humans and have almost no fucks to give about socializing so it seems being around them would only cause more stress. But it actually helps a lot. I suspect it's because I'm forced into using a different part of my brain, thereby resting the part that is currently overextended. Or maybe that's pure bullshit and there's some other reason.

Regardless, it has practical benefits but I still have to force myself to do it.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Punching bag or speed bag. Lets you turn off your brain and get the satisfaction of hitting something.

Type
    INTP
    Brisk short walk, getting some fresh air.
    A smoke break used to be great for a quick reset, but probably not worth the impact on health.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I go for walks and compile frivolous top ten lists about my narrow interests
    I do something strikingly similar. Rather than lists I tend to think on personal creative endeavors separate from my work.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    when i need time for myself i take it out of my sleep... i would rather be tired than not have it... if there is "dead air" during my day/week it varies... i read, play a game, get outdoors, or get fucked up (it's situational)... if i need a reset i move to a new location (as in get a new home)...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    Usually when I lose sight of my focus I try to remind my self of what’s important and then I try to make connections moving me forward, stay fresh. Processing I guess. Integrating prior knowledge into current affairs. Just basically think of every single damn thing you can till reach a certain state of glory and remind yourself of happiness while not thinking about detrimental thoughts.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INTP
    Like others, it depends on just how much or how little I have. Also where I am. At home and if I'm on deadline, but say I've been working a long time and losing steam, I'll turn on some freestyle music and dance a little while I fix something to eat. Then eat it while watching an episode of PTI I have recorded, burn through the commercials and other crap I don't care about and I'm back up and running in 30-45 mins.

If I'm really up against it but losing it, I'll push away from the computer, pray for a hot second, then try to be silent for a bit. Silence usually outlasts the prayer time until I feel a bit more at ease. I'll go to the kitchen and fix a large drink. No alcohol but either have some mix of a caffeine energy drink or 5-hour energy shot in it. Another pray to be invigorated and back at it. Oh, a bathroom trip before I sit back down. This is takes all of 5 mins.

If it's more of a general fatigue I'm battling, I'm not opposed to crawling atop my bed, pull part of the cover over me. Note, I'm still on top of the covers, just pull from one side, and try to crash for a bit. I may try to run a quick errand. Feel good about getting outside, getting something done and then let my mind feel less constrained. It sux if it's like the middle of the week and I expect to get in and out with no traffic but that's always when I pick the street under construction. Cleaning my bathroom or kitchen can help me feel less burdened. I don't generally find cleaning as something that settles me but decluttering is good and that sense of "hey, I'm ahead of the game" on something can be a nice mental perk.

I'll sometimes go to the AMPAS or WGA library to check out what's new, maybe read a script or two, say hi to some people I haven't seen in a long while. It's nothing committal. I can sometimes get a nice lift off the buzz of the silence, if you will. People quietly working but an air of hopefulness. I just hate it when someone pounds the keys of their laptop like a jackhammer.

I don't know why I don't go look at the ocean more. I think it has to do with how the weather is outside. If it's cloudy it doesn't do as much for me. If it's the weekend I'll avoid it because of the crowds. I'll go even at night if I can see the moon and find a spot where light is hitting the water so I can see the foam of the waves crash against the shore. Even 5 mins of that is good for me. I swear though I'll find a spot, start to chill and no matter how empty the area may be some car will come and park close to me and either occupants will be noisy or they'll just sit with the engine idling. It's like how in the frggin' world did they just randomly come and decide to disturb the silence around me?? Like demons dispatched to ruin my time.

Type
    INTP
    Opps, I forgot one other quick fix. Come to this site, I try to jumpstart my brain here. I will often spend way to much time here hoping to find something that'll pique my interest and get both sides of my brain going. Many times though I'll scroll and scroll but not find anything or find something too interesting that'll get me plotting a long response and take me further away from what i should be doing.

I love a game or two or four of tetris. I much prefer the small characters than the big blocks I find online now.