Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical limitations of electric cables

Type
    INTP

Physical limitations of electric cables

Why isn't there a Mega Bus that transfers mass loads of information all at once to take care of every kind of hardware connection? Is it possible to keep all the details of any "reason" to separate certain things. High resolution details down to multiple audio tracks plus a video feed from a different application being transferred along with a high resolution display with high refresh rate? Master and slave options to create a network with the bandwidth to handle these things?

Type
    xNxx
    If nobody responds, I'm gonna make up a response based on my layman's understanding of nothing. Just a heads up.

Type
    INTP
    Take it away Mr. Mustard Hotpants.

/justcantseemtoletitgo

Type
    INTP
    My question is really jumbled, sorry. I guess the answer is why and money.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    One would think fiber optics are a virtually unfulfillable pipe. Photons or waves(whatever light decides to be at the time) don't collide. With phasing, varying carrier waves, and different light colors(this is really just another carrier frequency) the only limitation is how tight those gradations of those variations are.

Even copper can do phasing but signal degradation is obviously higher so tolerance is lower.

Still both beat the pigeon. Of course is the world is riding on the back of a gigantic turtle, then that is the fastest transfer method because however slow the turtle travels, ALL data in the world is being moved. Something to think about..
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    the only limitation is how tight those gradations of those variations are.
    I'm not sure I understand. Thicker = more bandwidth?

I guess I'm asking why everything isn't just one standard cable instead of 1/4 inch audio cables and rca, spdif, xlr, and coax. Why is there male and female connections? Multiple pipes per cable with choice of how many pipes per cable to create the infinite connection matrix. Let the software on each end handle the details? Why do I need conversion cables? lol

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Aye thicker= more bandwidth. It's a metaphor though that has little to do with size.

The lack of standardization happens for a bunch of reasons in all industries. Some things like cell phone chargers are getting better.

HDMI has audio and video in one cable.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    One would think fiber optics are a virtually unfulfillable pipe. Photons or waves(whatever light decides to be at the time) don't collide. With phasing, varying carrier waves, and different light colors(this is really just another carrier frequency) the only limitation is how tight those gradations of those variations are.
    You still need something to send all of those signals into a single pipe, and then you need sensors to accurately measure and separate the resulting signals. Then you need something to actually *process* the signals - actually read what the beeps and the boops represent.

I could fire an encyclopedia out of a cannon at you, and get great bandwidth, but I don't think you'd gain a lot of knowledge from the act.

At least, such is my understanding of such things.

Type
    INTP
    I guess all these cable types are born of a certain need and at a certain time and technology moves along begetting another generation of standards. We ditched the spaghetti cabling a year ago in our entertainment center and went hdmi everything (oh wait, speaker wire). Hopefully that will be good until the boxes melt.

I did read that one reason for the Mac Pro going three years between design changes was the Thunderbolt cabling, getting raw video to work with everything else it carried was non-trivial. So, I suspect the problem isn't just the wire or fiber or coax itself, it is also the electronics in the transmitter and receivers that have to handle all these different formats. I think the trend is toward integrated though.