Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960

Thread: RIP Thread

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Anthony Bourdain dead by suicide at age 61.

If I'm flipping through channels somewhere, I'd always stop if I saw him on TV. His voice, attitude, and sense of humor made him so attractive.
    What the fuck?
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTp
    Bourdain was lucky to have lived that long.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    What the fuck?
    seriously.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Anthony Bourdain dead by suicide at age 61.
    Goes to show depression or whatever ailed him must be a mental health issue. This guy could not possibly have any reason to be depressed. Wealthy, got to travel the world, famous (but not annoyingly so), and I assume women were hot for him.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Goes to show depression or whatever ailed him must be a mental health issue. This guy could not possibly have any reason to be depressed. Wealthy, got to travel the world, famous (but not annoyingly so), and I assume women were hot for him.
    He has a history of methodone use and was (supposedly) on medication. I suspect there's an element that triggered/exacerbated a severe depressive episode because it reads as an almost spontaneous act for immediate deliverance from pain, rather than something planned over a long period. At that age he was no stranger to what depression, in the capacity of mental illness, feels like. Owing to his wealth he had easy access to all sorts of avenues that could help alleviate his depression, something he may have scrutinized at one point. I'm going to bet it's another Kurt Cobain-type under-the-influence situation.

Type
    inFp
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Bourdain was lucky to have lived that long.

I didn't really 'know' him(shame on me) BUT it seems he knew about Budapest and were willing to go there and make a quite good show there, so for just that i am giving him a thumbs up!
    Thank you Anthony and let your soul R.I. P.!
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5c24w3
    Communism s*cks.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    He has a history of methodone use and was (supposedly) on medication. I suspect there's an element that triggered/exacerbated a severe depressive episode because it reads as an almost spontaneous act for immediate deliverance from pain, rather than something planned over a long period. At that age he was no stranger to what depression, in the capacity of mental illness, feels like. Owing to his wealth he had easy access to all sorts of avenues that could help alleviate his depression, something he may have scrutinized at one point. I'm going to bet it's another Kurt Cobain-type under-the-influence situation.
    Supposedly Cobain killed himself because he thought he didn't deserve the level of fame he achieved, and couldn't handle the stress and anxiety that caused him.

Though Cobain is also an example of a person who developed a drug addiction because of a depressive disorder (this is actually a fairly common symptom), not the other way around.

I mean, if you are afflicted by suicidal urges, you probably are somewhat more likely to act on them while intoxicated (most "recreational" drugs reduce your capacity for impulse control), but it wouldn't be why he felt the desire to die in the first place.

Back when I had a smack habit, it would usually just make me want to sit around watching TV, though for some reason it also made doing mundane chores like grocery shopping absurdly enjoyable too. (Ironic in that it heavily suppresses appetite, so it wasn't that I was excited about eating--it just made me enjoy the act of shopping, which I normally find annoyingly tedious.)

It's famously popular with depressed people precisely because it essentially shuts down your ability to have any emotional responses to pretty much anything--more so negative emotions than positive ones, in my experience--and thus it's actually addictive because it makes you stop feeling sad or frightened for a couple of hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico
    Though Cobain is also an example of a person who developed a drug addiction because of a depressive disorder (this is actually a fairly common symptom), not the other way around.
    They're appear to be complimentary. Drugs exacerbate the problem, at least for the period of time spent sober. I think it's possible for otherwise non-depressive types to experience stronger downswings by fucking with their dopamine levels. As for the chicken-and-egg problem as it pertains to universal narcotics use, I wonder what percentage of those seeking them out (at onset, pre-addiction) are depressed. That would be interesting.

I mean, if you are afflicted by suicidal urges, you probably are somewhat more likely to act on them while intoxicated (most "recreational" drugs reduce your capacity for impulse control), but it wouldn't be why he felt the desire to die in the first place.
    Partly agreed, as explained above.

Type
    intp