Thread: The Last Kingdom Season 3 with SPOILERS

Type
    INTP

The Last Kingdom Season 3 with SPOILERS

I've made it through a few episodes so far.

Some initial thoughts:

Spoiler: ...

-Aetholwold starting shit for the sake of starting shit is frustrating but also totally in character.

-Also kind of useless because, a, you know he'll ultimately fail, and b, Uthred probably would have gotten himself into trouble again at some point anyway.

-That dwarf monk was shaping up to be a nasty character. I was pleasantly surprised that his time was short.

-Aethelfred, warrior princess. I'm 100% down for this.

-The break with Alfred was actually pretty satisfying.

-Actually all the characters have been pretty true to themselves so far. It reminds me of something Hugh Laurie said once about sitcoms being true to life in that, in real life, people don't generally change.

-Having said that, the one glaring plot hole this season is that goth chick witch. In every previous season Uthred placed zero stock in the supernatural, ignoring it or debunking it or using it to his advantage. The importance he places on this witch is an obnoxious macguffin.

-My annoyance at this character is only slightly mitigated by the fact that every other character also hates her guts.

-The antidote to the witch is Brida. Brida!!! <3

Type
    INFJ
    britain being 'culturally enriched' by the bloodthirsty rapey vikings

go multiculturalism! what can possibly go wrong?

Type
    INTP
    Took a break but am picking back up with episode 6.

Briiiidaaaaaa. The feels.

I love this show so so, so so, so so much.

Type
    INTP
    So it's just me then. That's all right.

Spoiler: SPOILERTAG
    Me watching episode 7:

The only thing this season needs is more Hild. I wish Uthred would kill Skade but I guess that's just not going to happen...... Maybe Haesten will kill her.

Episode 8:
    Ugh..... How could he possibly go from Gisela to the 90s goth chick wannabe viking witch?
    ...Hey, it's Hild! Hild!! <3

Hild to Uthred: "You went from Gisela to... This?"

Uthred: *kills Skade*

Me: Sheer relief.

Also the monk kids is really growing on me. I notice that he actually a capable soldier now. As well as being super nice. I guess he's the new Beocca/Hild analog. And Finan is the new Leofwic. I'm down for it.

Seriously though, thank god Skade is out of the picture. She didn't fit at all. I love how the main conflict of this season has been Uhtred's uncharacteristically poor taste in women.

...Because he misses Gisela. Awww.

Aaaaand now we're back to the old Uhtred-vs-christians-who-refuse-to-understand-him plotline. This happens every single time he goes to Winchester.

I'm still digging it.

I still also really love queen... Whatshername. Aelswith. She and Alfred bickering is just... I dunno. It's somehow charming. I love how genuinely she despises Uthred. And Aethelwold. I love how in her perfect world she would rain fire upon all her enemies. She's so self-righteously vicious but there's something just so.. pure... about it. She a zealot, not a hypocrite.

Uthred and Edward and Aethelfred could actually be a next gen power alliance. Plotwise it's not going to happen, but hey.... It could. Alfred is for it.

It actually fits that Alfred pushes Uthred away until he actually needs him, until he feels that his hold on the kingdom (here in the form of succession) is fundamentally threatened. Whereas he would benefit so much more from just not being a controlling dick and respecting Uhtred as a person....Something that Edward actuality seems capable of. It's tantalizingly close.

At least we should always have Mercia. And Warrior Princess Aethelfred. I will be so, so happy if they hook up and she has another baby.

Aethelwold as a big bad is kind of ridiculous, but I think that's sort of the point. He gets underestimated because he's such a pathetic little shit.

Final thought: I really thought I would have to suffer through Skade for the rest of the season. The sense of relief is still sinking in.
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 12-07-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Type
    INTP
    I'm here...but progressing much more slowly through the episodes due to life being very full atm. So tempted to read your posts, but trying to avoid spoilers. About 4 episodes in, and I really don't like Skade and everything related to her, but otherwise it's shaping up to be another good season. I guess everything does seem to hinge on Skade's presence...so it isn't like the season could do without her...it just so happens that she's the worst part.
    Also, she doesn't look right...worst casting on the show so far....she looks too.....modern?
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    I'm here...but progressing much more slowly through the episodes due to life being very full atm. So tempted to read your posts, but trying to avoid spoilers. About 4 episodes in, and I really don't like Skade and everything related to her, but otherwise it's shaping up to be another good season. I guess everything does seem to hinge on Skade's presence...so it isn't like the season could do without her...it just so happens that she's the worst part.
    Also, she doesn't look right...worst casting on the show so far....she looks too.....modern?
    Yeah she looks like if any blond goth chick in high school dressed up as a viking for halloween. Her dreadlocks in particular are too... even. And the way she's written, the acting... she's a totally one-dimensional character. There's no meat there to even distract from her jarring superficial qualities.

I won't say anything more about her fate.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I love this show so so, so so, so so much.
    Tell me about it. Major event at our house. God they'd better do a fourth season, and soon.