Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Last Kingdom Season 3 with SPOILERS

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, I must agree on the cloak...loved it, too...though I hadn't analyzed it as you did. In previous seasons, I had always found Aethelwold to be sort of like Skade...appearing out of place, like a modern day out-of-shape gamer doing cosplay or something...but he'd really become part of the fabric of the show...and I think that the cape kind of played a part in making him stand out in a good way this season.

As for Thyra...I think they could have developed her, more...sad for Beocca. What's more, is that her death didn't seem to serve any purpose...it doesn't change anyone's destiny. Even the guy responsible for her death is dead...so there's no justice to be had, there. She's just gone.
    I'm not sure that a continued role as axe-wielding-priest is a good fit for Beocca, either. I could see him having a bit of a crisis of faith, perhaps...but he seemed to recover his resolve relatively quick, too.

I could see season 4 bringing Uhtred and Brida together again...not romantically, but on a shared arc, anyhow.
    ...then again, something between Uhtred and Aethelflaed seems more likely, especially since Aethelfred seems to be the main villain remaining, aside from Cnut.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    I think they just have to kill off beloved characters every now and then to keep the threat of death as a real thing, even if you know that the major characters won't die without completing an arc.

That was why I was so sure we were going to lose Finan or Sigfried(? I forgot his name) or even Osferth in that last battle.

Speaking of Osferth, did you notice that scene when Edward sits down at a table with Uthred and Aethelfred at a time when Uthred was out of favor, and Osferth got up from the table as soon as he sat down? Because Osferth is the unacknowledged sibling and he didn't want it rubbed in his face. It's those little touches...

Type
    INTP
    Well, they killed off Giesela, Ragnar and Alfred...not like it was necessary to throw in Thyra...main characters are already dying! then Aethelwold got his shortly thereafter, too.

That was a nice touch with Osferth. I like him, too. He says so much with that face of his...

Sihtric, Finan and Osferth are a great band of brothers for Uhtred...probably will see one of them go next season.

As for the pace of this season...I did think it flew by really quick. I remember the season 2 story where Uhtred was on the slave ship...I swore that story lasted several episodes...but when I rewatched it, I was stunned to realize that it all happened in one episode...it was epic. I liked the pace of previous seasons more...or maybe just the scale of them. Season 3 seemed to not cover a lot of ground, geographically...and it seemed to follow a pretty direct path from the beginning to the end...no real side quests to speak of, except for a brief stop in Mercia.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung