Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Coming out as an atheist

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    If the dogmatic claptrap were simply random, then it would be pretty fucked up and bad. It's not random though, and I think that's where a lot of atheists get religion wrong. A lot of these seemingly random beliefs and rituals have purposes that not everyone can articulate very well, if at all. Or, if they did, it would seem too direct and people would reject it. A lot of it in fact has to do with signalling which can't by its very nature be direct. It's like when you buy your fiance a ring. Idiots say "omg why do I have to buy this shiny expensive rock, it makes no sense". But it's actually a costly signal. You hurting yourself by buying it shows what lengths you'll go to for this person.

Religion contains a lot of this sort of thing. None of it can really be taken at face value. Somehow it all works, probably because it has evolved over a long period of time. Sticking to the traditions tends to work, which is why they survived to become traditions.

Atheism, as the Chesterton (I think, maybe Lewis) quote goes, "tears down fences" without understanding why they were put up. Atheists really just ignore everything like this and try to remake the world according to their basic principles. A big one, I've noticed, is that they hate how restrictive religion is with regards to sex. They see it as arbitrary and pointlessly oppressive without thinking at all really about why things might have developed that way. So they decide to throw it all in the trash and say people should do whatever they feel like, because why not? THERE'S NO GOD WHO'S GOING TO THROW US IN HELL FOR THIS LOL!!

Stuff like that. I think "normal" in the present theocracy is to believe in the theocracy and see no alternative. So yeah, they will all appear "normal". But they do react to my ideas in a manner indistinguishable from how fundamentalist Christians react to, say, Islam.
    Not really idiot, atheism as long with agnosticism and religion have many different beliefs. Not that anyone will actually read this post on this dead forum. But atheism to me means belief in what is present and can be accounted for. Those (scientific) beliefs extend to what can be accounted for, nothing assumed and everything open.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Heraclitus View Post
    Not really idiot, atheism as long with agnosticism and religion have many different beliefs. Not that anyone will actually read this post on this dead forum. But atheism to me means belief in what is present and can be accounted for. Those (scientific) beliefs extend to what can be accounted for, nothing assumed and everything open.
    The part in bold is tricky shit. I don't have a good feel for what portion of what I learn is just learning to throw out an assumption I didn't know I had that turned out to be wrong--but it's non-trivial. I think it might account for about a fourth of what I learn.

I'm confident hidden assumptions account for most of the conflicts I've had in my life--my own and other peoples, whether it be about a procedure or what constitutes civility.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)