Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Racial Fetishes

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Racial Fetishes

I never understood racial fetishes. Is it purely sexual attraction or are these people looking for what they think is a common personality among that group?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I never understood racial fetishes. Is it purely sexual attraction or are these people looking for what they think is a common personality among that group?
    i'll never know. you gotta ask them. i'd think it's about dominating a continent, something that boils down to repressed imperialist/orientalist fantasies or something. well tbh i've heard this shit from white women, too, about "having" one from every country. it's really weird.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i'll never know. you gotta ask them. i'd think it's about dominating a continent, something that boils down to repressed imperialist/orientalist fantasies or something. well tbh i've heard this shit from white women, too, about "having" one from every country. it's really weird.
    Yeah, that was something like my default explanation. There's an interesting analysis Simone de Beauvoir does regarding the patriarchal association of women and land. Not only because of the aspect of fertility in both, but also the aspect of being regarded as a passive - though somewhat mysterious and capricious - subject which is acted upon, dominated, and owned. This type of discussion usually seems outdated at first glance, but the association of women and land, or women and nature, women and food, flowers, fruit, women and the elements, the tides, the wild, is still as ubiquitous a marketing strategy as it ever was.

You want to go out there and buy something to seduce a man? Smell like a garden, taste like a fruit, feel like a rose petal, look like the dawn, the dusk, the night, or hell look like a season, while you're at it - even make-up aims to imitates these things. And of course, this little story can have only one ending, because any fruit or flower is discarded when it's no longer fresh. That's what women spend much of their time and money trying not to look like, it's when you become invisible because you're no longer a woman.

"You don't know a country until you know its women" is not as innocent a remark as it seems to some people. At least subconsciously, it's patriarchal.

Type
    INTP
    You want to go out there and buy something to seduce a man? Smell like a garden, taste like a fruit, feel like a rose petal, look like the dawn, the dusk, the night, or hell look like a season, while you're at it - even make-up aims to imitates these things. And of course, this little story can have only one ending, because any fruit or flower is when it's no longer fresh. That's what women spend much of their time and money trying not to look like, it's when you become invisible because you're no longer a woman.
    I think you just made me depressed.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    I think you just made me depressed.
    It's okay. I like you even if you don't wear moisturizer.

Type
    INTP
    It's okay. I like you even if you don't wear moisturizer.
    Moisturizer would weaken my man-calluses.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think in some cases it's idealized perceptions of the group's culture and a belief that one would be happier with a partner from that culture than a partner from one's own.

I only throw that out there because I've now gotten a number of explicit monologues along these lines from white American guys here talking about Latin American women. They want someone who fulfills all the stereotypes they harbor about how Latin American people (or maybe just women specifically) behave in relationships, and they may even be consciously or sub-so hoping that this results in themselves being initiated into that culture as they conceive of it based on those stereotypes.

The relevant stereotypes regarding Latin women seem to be "domestic goddess, but sassy, creative, and passionate." I don't really know what the equivalent is for Asians. (The only stereotypes about Asian women I'm really familiar with are that they are subservient toward men but overbearingly authoritarian toward children--maybe some guys fetishize that, I don't know.) Pretty much all the guys I know who have ever stated any racialized preference for Asian women are huge anime dorks who seem to really be hoping they can marry into a Japanese family and thereby live the dream of actually being adopted as an insider by what is, I hear, a fairly xenophobic and nationalistic culture.

My last set of roommates in Portland were a white American woman married to a guy whose parents are from Argentina. He's a huge Game of Thrones/D+D nerd from southern California who jogs and bicycles obsessively but hates all forms of team sports--she constantly brags about being the first girl ever allowed to play on their high school's football team. That, however, is when she isn't constantly reminding everyone in the room that she's never been attracted to white guys and has only ever dated Latino men. I never asked for an explanation, but this kind of thing (being attracted to a specific ethnic group rather than an individual) is pretty alien to my experience. Her husband really doesn't strike me or apparently anyone as "stereotypical Hispanic guy", though, so it wouldn't appear to be driven by that in her case. (Now that I think of it, though, he does really like dancing.) She does also like to talk about how her dad was a real asshole--she pretty much just likes talking all the time--so maybe it's some kind of transposed "I hate white men" thing and Latinos happened to be the most readily available alternative where she grew up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    The relevant stereotypes regarding Latin women seem to be "domestic goddess, but sassy, creative, and passionate."
    Or domestic slave, but argumentative, artful, and crazy.

Women with racial fetishes annoy the fuck out of me. There is a racial fetish here for black men, actually. If you're a black guy in Argentina you could be getting laid every night if you wanted to, there's hardly any competition. I have a Norwegian friend who came here to basically have sex with (hispanic) Caribbean expats living here, usually found at salsa places. She liked to say patronizing things about how latinos appreciate "the little things in life", were capable of truly feeling happy and "having faith" (in God), and she wished she could be more spiritual like them. She's back in Norway dating a Colombian illegal immigrant.}

Edit: Nice thread split. xD

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Eh. I don't know about racial fetishes. My wife says she likes white guys. All of her ex-boyfriends were white, I'm white, all of her crushes have been on white guys, etc. It's a little strange to me, but I don't mind. I'm clearly not *just* the object of a fetish to her so it's okay.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    xxxx
    "You don't know a country until you know its women" is not as innocent a remark as it seems to some people. At least subconsciously, it's patriarchal.

soundtrackin'

i don't know why i do this to myself.