Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Racial Fetishes

Type
    INTP
    I don't see the mystery. The fixation is either due to cultural stereotypes or with physical attributes themselves, which doesn't make much sense to me but there you are.

Some seem to have the idea that sleeping with an individual of another race would be a different sensory experience. I can't attest to there being any weight to that, but if variety is the spice of life, I'd imagine some fixation on race without necessarily having some sort of deep-seeded "imperialist" impulse taking over.
    Last edited by Faust; 01-30-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    "You don't know a country until you know its women" is not as innocent a remark as it seems to some people. At least subconsciously, it's patriarchal.
    Something like this came up in my history class a while back. We were talking about the European conquest of the Americas and how the different groups of colonizers--Spanish, French, and English--had somewhat different kinds of interactions with native cultures. (Essentially the Spanish came looking for gold and then started taking land as an afterthought, the English came expressly in search of land, and the French came in much smaller groups primarily looking for furs and whatnot--this meant the French actually found themselves dependent on diplomacy with powerful indigenous groups quite often and thus fought fewer wars with them than either the English or Spanish did.)

Some of the kids took a cue from the textbook (LOL history textbooks) and actually cited the prevalence of French/Indian mixed marriages as evidence of greater cultural rapport and goodwill--to which I wanted to respond that the Spanish, arguably the most racist of all three groups in how they administered their colonies, also intermarried with the natives to a greater extent than either of the other two. It's a great example of biology trumping ideology--the English opted to populate their colonies with fringe religious fanatics whose entire families moved with them, whereas the Spanish generally sent all-male packs of mercenaries on missions to just plunder the shit out of whatever they encountered wandering around in the jungle. Lo and behold, send a bunch of extremely racist armed men chaperoned by fanatically imperialist priests into an unfamiliar place far from home, and they'll still end up putting their dicks in people they consider vastly inferior to themselves for lack of anything they'd presumably find preferable. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    soundtrackin'

i don't know why i do this to myself.
    Don't get me started...

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
    Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
    Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
    And summer's lease hath all too short a date

-Shakespeare

I love you as the plant that never blooms
    but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
    thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
    risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

- Neruda

Your eyes hold all the sunset and the dawn, you are
    As rich in fragrances as a tempestuous night,
    Your kisses are a philtre and your mouth a jar
    Filling the child with valor and the man with fright.

- Baudelaire

Here's one that takes the cake:

Past the blackberries,
    the reeds and the hawthorne
    underneath her cluster of hair
    I made a hollow in the earth
    I took off my tie,
    she too off her dress.
    I, my belt with the revolver,
    She, her four bodices.
    Nor nard nor mother-o’-pearl
    have skin so fine,
    nor does glass with silver
    shine with such brilliance.
    Her thighs slipped away from me
    like startled fish,
    half full of fire,
    half full of cold.
    That night I ran
    on the best of roads
    mounted on a nacre mare
    without bridle stirrups.

- Garcia Lorca
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    intp
    Sometimes I wonder if I do this, but I'm not picky enough with my partners to isolate any consistent variables. I plan to run more tests eventually.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    People of different races seem mysterious to people without even life/cultural experience, and because they seem mysterious, you can assign them whatever trait you want that you feel is lacking in the women/men of your own race. Of course, it's probably bullshit that can't be kept up once they lose the mystery and end up being humans, not elven kings/queens.

I write this with the vast experience of someone who has only dated white women. sentence proving I'm not a racist
    Last edited by msg_v2; 01-30-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Some seem to have the idea that sleeping with an individual of another race would be a different sensory experience. I can't attest to there being any weight to that, but if variety is the spice of life, I'd imagine some fixation on race without necessarily having some sort of deep-seeded "imperialist" impulse taking over.
    I think it's patriarchal first and imperialist second.

I'm rather distrustful of those who cultivate an obsession with the "otherness" of foreign cultures. Basically anybody with a foreign culture fetish, whether it's Asian, Latin American, African or whatever. Actually I think this may be contrary to progressive thought. The truly progressive element is in seeing that we are essentially the same, seeing what is universal. Not idealizing a set of traits - be they cultural or physical - and opposing them as superior to where one comes from.

I don't mean to say we shouldn't want to learn from other cultures and be fascinated or charmed by them, but when it becomes some kind of escape, you also have to wonder what that person is trying to run away from. Obviously there has to be a lack on a deep psychological or existential level. Like RM's ex roommate whose fetishization of latinos may have had something to do with daddy issues, if I interpreted that correctly. Or my friend from Norway who felt empty and essentially unable to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Lo and behold, send a bunch of extremely racist armed men chaperoned by fanatically imperialist priests into an unfamiliar place far from home, and they'll still end up putting their dicks in people they consider vastly inferior to themselves for lack of anything they'd presumably find preferable. Go figure.
    I've known a few European men who detest Latin American women but are married to one - and those women support their xenophobia 100%.

Type
    INTP
    I don't mean to say we shouldn't want to learn from other cultures and be fascinated or charmed by them, but when it becomes some kind of escape, you also have to wonder what that person is trying to run away from. Obviously there has to be a lack on a deep psychological or existential level. Like RM's ex roommate whose fetishization of latinos may have had something to do with daddy issues, if I interpreted that correctly. Or my friend from Norway who felt empty and essentially unable to feel.
    Yeah, I had the same thought. Trying to have a relationship with someone of another culture can be fraught with misunderstandings and conflicts you wouldn't have with someone of your own culture, so I figure you've got to really want it, for good reasons or bad. But then I don't loathe my native culture, so I don't have that particular motivation.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Other than whatever proportion of racial fetishes are attributable to fantasies or psychological quirks, couldn't a large proportion of this behaviour simply be aesthetics? Analogous to having a preference for blondes or big asses or whatever [within your own race].

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Other than whatever proportion of racial fetishes are attributable to fantasies or psychological quirks, couldn't a large proportion of this behaviour simply be aesthetics? Analogous to having a preference for blondes or big asses or whatever [within your own race].
    That was sort of what I was asking in the OP. I'm a little lost there too since I don't actually have physical fetishes either, in or outside my "race".

Oh wait okay I just thought of one, nm.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    I never understood racial fetishes. Is it purely sexual attraction or are these people looking for what they think is a common personality among that group?
    I don't think the term fetish would apply in either of the situations you mention. Mere sexual attraction wouldn't fit the bill because sexual attraction to someone's appearance/features is "normal" sexual behavior. Likewise, being attracted to certain types of personalities is also normal, but attributing those personalities to a big swath of people according to their race is just plain ol' racism.

Racial fetish, as I understand it, is a pathologizing concept coined by postcolonialist thinkers. It specifically targets the "white" male (English, Spanish, and French, mostly), who colonized other countries and had sex with the native populations. Nevermind that this has been a fairly consistent human tendency throughout human history - the seduction or outright rape of women by male invaders during conquest or warfare, or simply cases where law breaks down or is ambiguous in an area. See Russia invading Germany during WW2, the Japanese invading China, Darfur, or well, just about anywhere.

So, I just see it as a political device meant to undermine perceived white supremacy in postcolonial countries. Sexual attraction to the sexually attractive members of other races is normal. I also believe that nearly all men are indiscriminate when it comes to sexual attraction and race, but women aren't.