Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Line of "Time" are you on.

Type
    INTP
    11 and 12, nothing dramatic, just getting older.

Don't think I've ever done 7, life has always proceeded in a deliberate fashion that I wouldn't want to retrace. I can see how it happens though, the clock is always ticking.

Type
    INTP
    17. Thought I'd something more to say
    I'm sure I made more than one incorrect major life decision, but even thinking back now, I can't imagine what else I would or should have done. With the exception of certain relationships I shouldn't have lingered in. I don't regret other things.

When I feel that time is running out, it's not on a personal but a historical level. I think this is the only sense of urgency I've really had re: "getting things done". The world is going to explode, and I'm not ready. Maybe that's true, but it'll be a while yet.

I haven't felt personally chased by any kind of standard or pressured by a timeline I had to comply with. I never felt stuck; it seems there's always room for a radical change (and there really is - our options are endless). Part of this way of thinking is due to how mobile I am. No kids, investments or obligations to a place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    intp
    Dayumn, how's that last chord. F/B key of A major. What's that make it? I don't really know.

... I'm not sure I understand the original question. Did pink floyd sum up the totality of the experience of the passage of time in that song? Maybe. I'm in the stage of "I'm kind of old but no one quite knows that I'm old for whatever reason, but I'm doing alright."

Type
    INTP
    I'd like to think I'm on 6,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    6. You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    But I'm more likely on 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    9. So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    But who knows, I could be well down the list. I'll only know in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    Dayumn, how's that last chord. F/B key of A major. What's that make it? I don't really know.

... I'm not sure I understand the original question.
    I like the websites that just tell you where to put your fingers on the strings, lol...but I'm barely a casual musician.

I asked the question and I'm not sure I understand it. I think it has to do with the fact that I am fresh off the heels of spending time with parents who have just aged sooooo much in the last year, watching my mom struggle in her 70s to do some of the things she always wanted to do but never did, feeling the burn of having not one single person in my grandparents generation still alive, not any of their siblings or cousins or anything. That entire generation of my family is dead. My parents are now the eldest, and I'm one notch closer to the end of the conveyor belt.

Half of my nieces and nephews are adults now, and the rest are getting very close, but they still have way more potential than they do xp. I've traded a significant portion of my potential in for xp now, and I'm trying to decide where to burn the rest of it. Doing one thing means not doing all the other things, and I'm only 20 years away from being as old as my parents who, in spite of their dedication to fitness, are losing huge chunks of time and potential to stuff like surgery and injury and cancer treatments and whatnot, so these decisions on how to spend my time feel more momentous. Add to that my past year's struggles with back problems (doc tentatively says ankylosing spondylitis, and the fact that CBD is so effective supports that, though I haven't sprung for imaging yet...still hoping it won't be necessary, plus I don't like spending toward my deductible at the end of the year) and rotator cuff issues (may need surgery to regain full use of my right arm, and I didn't do anything specific to injure it...totally not fair!), and I'm feeling the burn of aging.

I never really thought much about this song when I heard it when I was younger. It was just another song. But hearing it today ... well it gets me thinking. When I say, "I'm getting old," it carries momentum that it didn't used to carry. A part of me is still thinks I'm a thirty year old with no limits. I'm at the cognitive dissonance age where I sometimes have to have a meta fight between my increasingly limited reality and my bad ass matrix self image. Intellectually I knew aging would be like this, but I never really believed it would happen to me. I'm going to turn into an old lady. An actual old lady. And there is nothing I can do about it. I'm a couple of years away from qualifying for some senior citizens discounts.

Me, an old lady?!? Like how is that even possible? If I survive long enough, people will want to help me across the street, and I'll be telling them about the good old days when I was a firefighter who could carry a 300 pound man down a ladder and they'll be instantly bored by my stories, not hanging on my every word like they did when I was a fertile hot chick.

The next time ten years has gotten behind me, that's going to seem way harsher than it did the last time, and harsher again the next time, and then the next time I'll be damn lucky if ten more years can get behind me. Decades used to seem like a long time, but now that I can only realistically hope for 2 or 3 more before I'm incapable of doing stuff, they seem a lot shorter.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    ^The above reminds me of my grandma. She used to say she would pass in front of a mirror and be startled by the old lady reflection. In her mind she was still young and spry with thick, dark hair.

She was in pretty good shape for her age, out-pacing and out-living all her family and friends, until she had a stroke when she was almost ninety. She spent her last few years mentally intact but wheelchair-bound, unable to hold her head straight. She was pissed or depressed much of the time, wishing she could get better.

One advantage you might have is that you might be accustomed to technology to a great enough extent that you can explore more interests and entertainments that don't require much physical interaction.

Type
    INTP
    Just had this conversation recently:

-Hey, do you still like younger men?
    -Uh...
    -Because you know M, my friend? She likes younger men but now she's depressed because she's 51 and can't date them anymore.
    -Why not?
    -Because she's 51.
    -So?
    -So she's going through menopause! And they don't want to date her anymore.
    -...Really?
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    ^The above reminds me of my grandma. She used to say she would pass in front of a mirror and be startled by the old lady reflection. In her mind she was still young and spry with thick, dark hair.

She was in pretty good shape for her age, out-pacing and out-living all her family and friends, until she had a stroke when she was almost ninety. She spent her last few years mentally intact but wheelchair-bound, unable to hold her head straight. She was pissed or depressed much of the time, wishing she could get better.

One advantage you might have is that you might be accustomed to technology to a great enough extent that you can explore more interests and entertainments that don't require much physical interaction.
    Yeah, I'm experiencing mirror dissonance. Also strength dissonance. I'm not as powerful as I used to be. I have often thought that those of us who are comfortable with computers will have a much nicer time of it in the dotage years especially if we have nice gaming machines strapped to our fusion reactor powered hoverounds. I might pay young people to walk around with a 360 camera strapped to their heads while I wear a headset and give them instructions.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    2, 11, and 14...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Just had this conversation recently:

-Hey, do you still like younger men?
    -Uh...
    -Because you know M, my friend? She likes younger men but now she's depressed because she's 51 and can't date them anymore.
    -Why not?
    -Because she's 51.
    -So?
    -So she's going through menopause! And they don't want to date her anymore.
    -...Really?
    -
    (Disclaimer: I'm married so this is all just a speculative point of view from an imaginary single me)
    Never really understood the whole "younger man" dating appeal, but I know it must be a thing because so many stereotypes have resulted from it. I don't want to deal with the emotions and dramas of youth. Young people can be exhausting. Having been young myself, I can say that I have been there, done that, got the t-shirt, wore and washed the shirt so many times that it disintegrated, got a similar t-shirt out of nostalgia, wore it out, passed on a third because now I'm nostalgic over shit that didn't even exist when I got the first t-shirt, and so on. (People who think women over 40 shouldn't wear t-shirts can go fuck themselves.)

While I long for the energy and physical ability of my youth, I do not even want to be reminded of any of the rest of what came with being young. Watching young people make decisions is sometimes (but not always) a cringing experience, and the cringe isn't a holier than thou kind of cringe, but rather one of remembering how that turned out either for me or for someone I know (or knew, because I've watched several people make decisions that they did not survive). I still cringe plenty over some of the decisions I made. Young people are running the gauntlet. I've no desire to involve myself in their gauntlets.

And it isn't like I don't have any mountain left to climb myself. I've still got plenty of lessons to learn. But barring an extremely exceptional climber (I'm sure these exceptions exist), someone who is decades behind me on the climb is probably just going to hold me back. Also, young people tend to prioritize their wants over those of people older than them.

As far as I am concerned, any young dude running the gauntlet would be beyond lucky to find a self sufficient 51 year old woman willing to put up with him long enough for him to get his dick wet. Just hell no. I don't even find young men sexually attractive because I can't separate their supposed virility from the reality of the likelihood of their neediness and selfishness in my head. When younger men express interest in me, I have a "yuck" reaction. I'd say my physical interest range at this point is probably around 35 and older, peaking at 40-45, and probably ending at late 50s, but that range will likely continue to advance in age as I do.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 01-02-2019 at 08:00 PM.