Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could study or go to school for anything

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

If you could study or go to school for anything

if money wasn't an issue and you could live forever (or just have all the time in the world), what subjects/interests would you study or go to school for?

is this a big fantasy of yours, or not?

edit: i know this topic is probably really depressing and sad. sorry.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 01-30-2014 at 02:22 AM.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'd study Marxism. That should be a career.

Art, philosophy, history, literature, languages, physics, math - I'd need all of eternity to learn the last two.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'd probably study ancient mythology, history and religion. At this point I guess I'd find a good PhD program for that.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Theoretical physics/cosmology.

Type
    INTP
    "Remember me as you pass by.
    As you are now, so once was I.
    As I am now, so will you be.
    Prepare for Death & Follow Me."

-- Common Epitaph of Victorian-Era Gravestones

Type
    INTP
    I'd probably switch to a physics undergrad, then try and get into the nanotech program at UW.

Type
    ENTP
    Optics for sure. And how vision forms the basis of our perception as well as subject / object distinctions. Next step would be to develop a monitor replacement so when dealing with screens our eyes needn't converge at close range. It would involve some kind of 3D interface that reduces eyestrain over time.
    every sunday morning

Type
    INTP
    mathematics (mental pre-req), evolutionary game theory, computer science/ai, cognitive science, genetic engineering, memeology, ecological economics, mythology, history, materials science

There is nothing practical about this list, but if one lives forever you have to stay busy. Also new fields of study would arise faster than they could be assimilated plus you'd have to go back after some time and re-do your degrees...

As a compromise I'd like to take a class or two in each area, screw the degree

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i find myself thinking about this a lot. i get really enthusiastic about new stuff, but often i'm lacking the resources to pursue them and can't afford to develop them much beyond a surface interest. i'm not really good at school and the general elitism of academia turns me off in a major way. however, this is one thing that actually makes me fantasize about living forever. not that i believe in past lives, but i think sometimes that in my past lives i probably chose to devote each life to one of these things.

design, art, crafts, music disciplines-- graphic design, painting, industrial design, furniture design, jewelry design, woodworking, metalworking, sculpture, photography, filmmaking, book arts, theater & set design, creative writing, screenwriting, music composition & songwriting, music production, film scoring, architecture

sciences & humanities-- biology w focus in marine biology, art history, archaeology, journalism, gender/women's studies, history, psychology, sociology, philosophy, agriculture/horticulture, animal science (my grandpa's thing; his focus was chickens), electrical engineering (my dad's thing, although this didn't evolve into a career)

sort of in between-- scientific illustration, visual journalism

languages-- mandarin & cantonese, hindi, other chinese languages and "major" asian languages, spanish

i'd try to use schooling as an opportunity to travel, too. maybe i forgot something.

i still have the opportunity to continue my schooling, but school is expensive and i have serious problems with the structure. when i'm in school, i'm not healthy. if money issues and dying of old age weren't things to worry about, i actually don't think i'd spend my time procrastinating. i imagine i'd enroll fast and really try my best to get through each program until i finish or feel satisfied. there'd be no "deadline" anyway. besides, staying busy, doing some kind of work and developing myself is what makes me happy. a lifelong vacation isn't a vacation at all.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 01-30-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: forgot one
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    INTP
    I'd start with languages. If I'm going to have a lot of time to learn, I need to be able to learn in different languages. I think I'd start with Spanish and German, and then move onto Mandarin, Korean, Arabic, Hindi, and Russian. Then after many years, because the aforementioned ones would probably take decades, I'd learn just for fun, such as Greek.

At the same time, I'd study history and politics. I'd most likely focus on ancient history and the emergence of first civilizations, and spend a lot of time learning Middle Eastern and Asian history (considering that they have the most history as far as civilizations go). I would then study philosophy and politics. Finally, I'd spend the rest of my time applying everything I'd learned to psychology.