Thread: eBay, taxes and ... death?

Type
    INTP

eBay, taxes and ... death?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/s...=4348#section1

eBay sellers are now required to collect and remit sales tax?

Suffice it to say I'm glad I got all my eBay selling done when I did. Because I'd refuse to deal with this kind of noise. I've seen a few other sellers begin to jump ship, meanwhile, as well.

I see this as the sort of thing that will greatly wound, if not kill eBay?

Thoughts?

Type
    INTP
    The government considers every exchange to be a taxable transaction. The IRS even has rules to determine the taxation for bartered goods and services, but they are rarely used, and they generally don't accept payment of taxes in anything but currency--though the trope is they will come and confiscate your shit as payment, but when they do, they don't play by the same playbook. They don't credit you with the value they would expect you to claim on a bartered trade, they only give you the value they got from the sale of the item--likely less the cost of the transaction.
    Some days you're the bug; some days you're the feature.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I just deleted my eBay account. I rarely used it, and after this change, I refuse to use it ever again, so...

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Am i missing something? When I click on the link i go to an ebay tax policy site that says, amongst other things:

When you sell on eBay, it's up to you to ensure you're compliant with all applicable tax laws and regulations associated with using our services.
    And reading further, it appears they provide some calculators that their sellers can use to calculate some basic tax rates and apply them to their businesses if they want? There seems to be some exceptions, like Australian addresses automatically get 10% gst added for you. But if anything this seems to me like it would be a value add service to its customers?

So is the issue ebay is applying rates automatically for its sellers to include various sales tax amounts, or is it, fundamentally...that your objection is sales tax applying to transactions on the site (and maybe tax) in general?