Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reading actual books

Type
    INTP
    Not very often. If I read, I prefer a screen. When I'd read physical books when younger, I'd space out or get sleepy. I'm also a slow reader, but can quickly power through a reformatted ebook.

Alpha-GPC and a nootropic (noopept, SEMAX + selank, etc) increased reading speed without affecting comprehension. Brainwave entrainment audio can also help. Mental photography. Reading many books at the same time about a similar topic and activating is another approach. Reading doesn't work out in my case unless I'm binging.

I prefer nonfiction.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I used to read a lot, lot more when I commuted by public transportation for 2 hours a day. That was up until early this year. Now, it only happens when I find a book that seems particularly interesting. The last one I read was In Dubious Battle by Steinbeck, and that was this summer. It’s mostly because there’s always things that just seem a bit more interesting, and I have a hard time finding books that I really want to read. When I commuted, I was able to force myself to read things I didn’t even enjoy much, like Gulliver’s Travels, simply because there was nothing better to do.

Oh yeah, I’m a binge reader too. When I find something I do like, it’s all I do in my free time. And then when I run out of tings to read, there’s almost this feeling of loss.

Type
    INTP
    Hi Maddy.

Real, physical books (not pdf or audio): for 1-2 hours at a time, 2-3x a week, almost exclusively at coffee shops, sometimes quiet bars on weeknights. I power off my phone, or leave it in the car if I drove. I think of it like going to therapy (which I also do).

It is my escape: from phone, from work, from homework, from partner, from dog, from chores, from memories.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    Oh yeah, I’m a binge reader too. When I find something I do like, it’s all I do in my free time. And then when I run out of tings to read, there’s almost this feeling of loss.
    Sometimes, if it's a really good book--or a really good series--I'll slow my reading pace to a chapter per day as I get near the last few chapters.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    times/places i read: before bed, when eating out at restaurants, when resting at some nature-y spot (botanical garden, park etc.), when hanging out / resting at SO's place, sometimes during meals at home, between tasks at home if i feel mentally rested enough, first thing in the morning (this is easier when i'm in a new environment, like when traveling, cuz i feel less distracted and bogged down with mundane shit)

i find it hard to read a lot unless i have a chunk of time off. i think it's easier to do while having a full work schedule if the work allows you to be in autopilot for a good chunk of the day, but the nature of the work i've been doing doesn't allow that so it's natural to feel too drained for reading at the end of the day.

even if i have a bunch of time off and feel rested (like these past few months), i can only read for maybe two hours at most each day cuz the concentration it requires will also drain me. most often i find myself reading between doing other tasks. in order to get through books at a regular pace, i go for consistent, steady reading rather than binging. i include "reading" in my daily tasks along with other easily neglected life-enrichment tasks like eating breakfast and yoga. i have a system of giving myself tiny rewards for desired behaviors and the external structure helps reinforce any sort of "good habit."

when i'm really busy, i tend to put reading on the backburner, but i wanna find a way to not have that happen. i guess it's a matter of prioritizing and being realistic about how much you can actually achieve in a day. i'm still learning how to best do that in general, and reading isn't the only thing i want to do more of.
    i sneeze like a grandpa.

Type
    XXXX
    I read quite a bit-- a little bit of everything and generally I have several (or more) books going at a time. My fiancÚ has an English teaching endorsement, same as me, so there are piles of books everywhere. Lately I realized I enjoy reading because book people generally seem more real, or at least coherent, than real people. In my fractured encounters with others of late, it's hard to draw any conclusions about them, so I'm more or less forced to draw generalizations from the media, which makes everyone just seem insane. Worse still, if log onto social media many people basically confirm this by parroting everything the media says. Also, movies don't help nor do most shows on TV.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book

Binge reader. I've been known to read 5 books in a day but I won't eat or change out of my pj's that day. (Don't worry, the cats get fed. They don't let me forget.) Sometimes I repurchase books I already have physical copies of in ebook format for the large print. Stupid aging eyes. Nice side effect of new waterproof ereader...I can shower without putting down my book. Main thing that keeps me from reading...fear that my binge will cause me to not accomplish critical tasks. I'm about 50/50 on fiction/nonfiction. Lately I've been rereading books I read in highschool because I'm curious about my perspective shifts. Just finished the riftwar saga that I first read over 30 years ago. Milamber's stadium scene was as cool as I remember, but I sort of rushed through a lot of the stuff. The girls were all pretty one dimensional. Luckily young me never had any trouble identifying with male protags as rolemodels in my fiction when the girls were all written boring as fuck.

I find I'm not really interested in rereading the whole cycle. I read the Belgariad in the same time period of my life and I think my memories of Pug and Garion are a little jumbled. Trying to decide if I should reread the first couple of those too.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle