Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Type
    INTj

Windows 8

I just bought myself a new laptop, it came preloaded with windows 8. When I was browsing on amazon I decided that I would just wipe it and load ubuntu or windows 7... You know, given the horrible reputation of windows 8; but, after a few days of using it, I really do like it. It is designed for touchscreen devices, and I think that this native ability is awesome. I found out upon receiving my laptop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that its screen was one giant touchscreen. Now, my adoration for the software may be partially influenced by the speed and power of the laptop (highly, highly recommend btw.) But this would be impossible without the extra features of windows 8.

Before this I was the proud owner of a fully loaded Macbook Pro (16gb ram, 2gb Nvidia graphics card, 2.4GHz processor, 1 Tb of SSD storage) and that computer was and still is great, but I've been using this laptop almost exclusively for the past few days and I haven't missed OSX in the slightest.

Have you used windows 8? What do you think about it?

Sorry if my syntax/diction isn't up to par, it is growing harder and harder to type as this ambien kicks in.

Type
    INTP
    I use windows 8 on a few machines, but I install a start menu replacement and use it like an ordinary windows desktop. It's a good OS under the hood, but I'm not a fan of Metro.

Type
    INTP
    I don't own a Windows 8 computer, but I've worked with them enough. At first they were awful when there was no Start button, but now most people have either upgraded to 8.1 or have loaded software that changes the GUI to more of a Windows 7 style. But honestly the GUI was the only issue I ever had with it. It seemed to make a few improvements in other areas. Although overall, it seems unnecessary as an upgrade from Windows 7.

Type
    INTP
    Windows 8 sucks. Yes, that is my articulate, detailed review, for that is all the effort and time it deserves.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The start button is between the Ctrl and Alt buttons even if it's not on the screen.

The worst parts I see are:
    trying to get them into safe mode
    Any offline changes to the files system get reversed on reboot(a great security feature; a pain for a tech)
    Lost passwords
    Having to explain to clients the difference between apps and applications

It's the in between OS like Millenium and Vista.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Windows 8 sucks. Yes, that is my articulate, detailed review, for that is all the effort and time it deserves.
    Agreed, wholeheartedly.

It's a giant buttplug. User account linked to microsoft account= bend over.

Type
    INTP
    Ya, know ... as much as it's still a monopoly$oft product I'm still able to run GNU emacs for Windows, cygwin, GIMP, Inkscape, and Mozilla products on it.

It came pre-installed on my Acer Aspire R7.
    The first thing I did was unpin a whole lot of the proprietary apps which triggered OUTRAGE at what a conduit the OS is for the sorts of idiots who use the web for facebook and buying shit.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    It's the in between OS like Millenium and Vista.
    This.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    It's a giant buttplug. User account linked to microsoft account= bend over.
    There are ways to bypass this. On startup Create New Microsoft Account > Click the new "skip" option.

I can see how it is perceived as the in between operating system, but I still like it for some weird reason, and I hated Vista with a passion.