Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What is philosophy?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    He was a radical. More below.
    Jesus did call for individuals to take a fundamentally different approach to relating to God, so was radical in the sense of advocating something very different.

Radicals tend to deliberately to take actions that will bring about conflict to provoke a reaction from the authorities in order to destroy the current order and replace it with a new one.

His teachings call on us to take a very different path to God so inevitably upset the religious authorities of the day, but I wouldn't really call Jesus a radical in the sense of a person who seeks out conflict to provoke the authorities to react as a way of advancing a political cause. Jesus generally tried to avoid coming into conflict with the religious authorities for as long as possible to allow Him get His complete message out.

I can agree that Jesus was a radical in a way but not in the sense of advocating for social/economic/political change. We have all heard these sort of radicals before. Advocating for social/economic/political change is blasť. The fact that Jesus is not calling for social/economic/political change makes him truly radical. Jesus instead calls on people to turn to God and purify their hearts.

You're imposing fabricated limits on the meaning of charity. It's the benevolent act of giving and sharing. It happens to be an uncontested Christian imperative, the purpose for which has nothing to do with alleviating spiritual ails: it's entirely material, to alleviate poverty. Presumably that doesn't interfere with your priorities? Some forms are just more effective than others at counteracting poverty. Charity can be performed as a society, provoked by social ethic. To be pro-charity but opposed to an organized manifestation is a political statement. That goes beyond "it's just not a priority".
    Christianity is spiritual but many people misunderstand it as material. Read John 4:1-14.
    Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
    Easy enough to infer political implication from his sayings, but moreover, from what he's done and what subsequently happened to him. He protested for reform, broke the law of Sabbath which is inherently political, for charity's sake no less, saying "The Sabbath was made for people, not people for the Sabbath" - Mark 2:27. He was an enemy of the State for being a threat to the power structure. By contrast the leap from agreeing to pay Caesar a tax to "apolitical" is a massive one when his actions show otherwise.
    He drove the money changers out of the temple and healed someone on the Sabbath. The money changers were there to allow people to purchase the special coin needed to enter the temple. Requiring people to pay to enter the temple angered Jesus, which is why He drove them out.

It's the theology of what's coming out of your ass. It sure isn't here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_sin

To recap: you're knowingly or ignorantly ideological.
    People have very different understandings of Christianity. My understanding will differ from that of others. Reading the Bible and my own experiences and observations convinces me that human heart gives rise to all sorts of sinful desires and Jesus is calling on us to turn to God and receive the Holy Spirit to purify our hearts. I am absolutely convinced that this is right but only time will tell.

Christianity is spiritual, not material or legal (following rules). God said do not commit adultery but people failed. God wanted to show us that we are unable to meet His standards through our own efforts. Jesus said do not desire to commit adultery, which shows that Christianity is not about following rules. Humans have all sorts of sinful desires that we act on at times but refrain from acting on at others. Not having sinful desires is an impossibly high standard for us to meet on our own. We need a spiritual transformation if we are to start to meet this higher standard.

I do struggle with carnal desires at times but haven't act on them yet. I have a great sense of inner peace when I am free of these desires. There more spiritual I am, the less carnal I am. This is sin to me. Each person will struggle with different sins but I am sure we can all relate.
    Last edited by Guess Who; 02-02-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Love displaces fear

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who
    I can agree that Jesus was a radical in a way but not in the sense of advocating for social/economic/political change. We have all heard these sort of radicals before. Advocating for social/economic/political change is blasť. The fact that Jesus is not calling for social/economic/political change makes him truly radical. Jesus instead calls on people to turn to God and purify their hearts.
    Zealot by Aslan offers a different view
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Relevant, the Alter Bible
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"