Thread: Funny commercial

Type
    INTP

Funny commercial

I'm not sure if this is something I actually saw a long time ago, or just dreamed but here it is.

An elderly couple is having breakfast in a sunny room.

The man is reading the paper and says they have a lot of obituaries.

The woman asks if there is anyone they know.

They man says "no."

She responds: "damn."

In general, it is poor forum ettiquette to create entire threads for this sort of thing, but that does not mean you shouldn't say these things on the forum at all. Allow me to bring your attention to the Rants, Raves, and Hot air section of our forum which has several pre-existing threads where this sort of thing is generally acceptable.

http://forums.intpcomplex.com/forumd...es-amp-Hot-Air
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Thanks. Are you sure? Because "humor" is listed under the playground, not under the rants and raves section.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP_WAS_NOT_TAKEN View Post
    Thanks. Are you sure? Because "humor" is listed under the playground, not under the rants and raves section.
    It's an organizational issue--and it depends a little on which facet you are looking at. The problem @Sistamatic is talking about--and I use the term a little loosely because we aren't trying to discourage thread-making--is that there really isn't anywhere for this OP to go. It's not an open question, it's not even an essay or examination of something that might provoke further discussion, therefore, it makes for a poor OP.

But, we aren't averse to posts that go nowhere and just offer a moment to get something off your chest or share something that entertained you. We have threads whose entire purpose is exactly these sorts of posts, and the most popular happen to be in the Rants, Raves, and Hot Air. There's nothing about ranting and raving or gushing hot air that precludes humor. Honestly, most of our rants and raves are meant to be humorous--or just end up being so.

I'd expect there are a couple threads to cover a similar area in the Playground--I'm pretty sure I've made at least one--and I've got more than a few threads that never went much beyond the OP--if that--so I don't want to leave the impression that anyone is bitching you didn't use the bucket you didn't even know about. That's not what this is about.

The problem is a thread that isn't a bucket for anything. A good OP should invite replies. It should create a category of discussion. It should try to engage the readers to respond. There's no sense of what sort of engagement this was supposed to be. It looks like a throwaway post for a laugh--which is pretty much only a problem when it's an OP, as it is here.

For example, you could have made the thread about half-remembered jokes, and given that as an example, and ended asking for contributions. That wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, because there's a clear way for the thread to progress beyond a single post.

Threadmaking is a skill; we all fail at it most of the time; we need people willing to fail at it; we also need people willing to learn from faltering steps.

Just a guess--but are you an active Reddit user? I've noticed the Reddit community has a habit of posting some random thing and relying on the masses to come up with a discussion on it--or just congratulating the OP for being witty. We don't have a large enough userbase for that to reliably work, so it helps to have a question to draw the audience in to participate. For example, I was drawn into this discussion by the question in the above quote. Without that, I'd have had nothing of interest to engage you with.
    Some days you're the bug; some days you're the feature.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    *Reaches for pitchfork*
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Ok I get it. But who says a thread has to have discussion? It seems kind of egoistic. No one is allowed to say something without getting comments? You can't just have a laugh and move on? I don't really mind either way but I think there is some OCD here.

Death threats
    (see above reply by sinny)
    even humorous ones, are not appropriate.

Anyway, I get the idea and I'll go along with it.

Type
    INTP
    Ok I get it. But who says a thread has to have discussion? It seems kind of egoistic.
    This may surprise you, but I feel quite the opposite. It's threads not meant to create discourse that are egoistic from my perspective.
    Some days you're the bug; some days you're the feature.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Ok I get it. But who says a thread has to have discussion? It seems kind of egoistic. No one is allowed to say something without getting comments? You can't just have a laugh and move on? I don't really mind either way but I think there is some OCD here.

Death threats
    (see above reply by sinny)
    even humorous ones, are not appropriate.

Anyway, I get the idea and I'll go along with it.
    Death threats.
    Lol.
    I wish. (I could get my hands on some people)

You're either an idiot or a troll. I sympathise with neither.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

@INTP_WAS_NOT_TAKEN

Hephaestus did an excellent job of explaining the impetus here. I think part of the reason we occasionally run into this problem is that forums are so very different from the mainstream social media most are accustomed to. What we have here is a little different. When a forum user logs in, they look to see what discussions and topics are active. The last 11 threads posted in will show up on the front page. We've had situations where almost of the last 30 or so threads was a one off silly unengaging post by just a few well-meaning members. And while that is a perfect forumula for facebook and instagram and Twitter, but it has a tendency to kill active threads in a forum setup because it buries the actual discussions fairly rapidly.

Once you are a full member you'll have access to the blogs section, which is where each member can, if they want, create a thread for the purpose of collecting all their little thoughts, and while most of our members just sort of journal into their blogs, others are more creative, and some are just downright silly, and a few blogs have become the most popular threads on the site for a time...we have some extremely fascinating people on the site. Mine is pretty boring. I talk about my cats way too much...and I tell you that to make sure you understand we aren't expecting da vinci (but you know, if you have that in you that'd be great), just letting you know that forums tend to work better if we make an effort to create threads that are meant to engage rather than inform.

Now if you post a one off thought on one of the rants and raves threads and it turns into a discussion, a mod might pull that out and turn it into it's own thread. Those are usually extremely successful threads, and they come out of the blue because the sidetracks of people who identify as INTP can be crazy amazing. No predicting what tangent we'll go off on.

This forum does need people who are willing to create interactive threads and engage in discussion. That's our bread and butter.

It's all good, you are new and you are learning the rules.

Anyway, you are probably sitting there going "enough already, I get it."

Also, Irony--this is turning into a thread with useful discussion.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle