Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting diet - just water, black coffee and salt

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Fasting diet - just water, black coffee and salt

In 2016 I was banned on another messageboard from talking about weight loss and/or physical fitness. Then I started posting about it in another forum:
    https://www.giraffeboards.com/showthread.php?t=40985

In 2013 I considered fasting a bit:
    https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=704145

Recently I watched these videos (in order)
    Fasting vs. Eating Less: What's the Difference? (Science of Fasting) (5 million views)
    (highly recommended)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

Can You Drink Coffee During a Fast?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMMsc6qEoPc

Intermittent Fasting: Top 5 Mistakes- Thomas DeLauer (2.4 million views)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

Top 3 Mistakes People Make when Breaking a Fast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZpe-yrZLY

How to do Intermittent Fasting: Complete Guide (1.1 million views)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVf3d0rqqY

I've been fasting since 9pm last night and it is 5pm now. I've had black coffees (I normally never have coffee). Apparently plain tea is ok too.

Apparently hunger during a fast only lasts for about 2 days, peaking around lunch and dinner times. On the other hand if you eat less but still pretty regularly the hunger gets super extreme (see first video). After several days on a fast apparently the hunger can return. Also apparently women tend to get a lot more hungry than men - perhaps to help them look after babies.

BTW I have a flatmate that went from 133 kg to 71 kg (currently). His weight was just about only in his belly - the rest of him was fairly muscular. He doesn't exercise at all - he mainly just watches TV. He had been diagnosed with diabetes and was told to stop eating sugar. I also found out that he doesn't eat at all until dinner. He usually has a roast dinner. So he was fasting 16-20 hours per day. I think the reason he lost most of his belly is because he was fasting. He wouldn't be aware of fasting diets though.

This is what my flatmate used to look like: (pic of Jeremy Clarkson)

My flatmate even started to get a very skinny face and apparently had bones sticking out in his body (maybe his weight was in his 60's). People were worried about him and he's started to drink fruit juice, etc.

Thomas DeLauer on youtube said that it takes at least a 16 hour fast to get some benefits and the main benefits continue to 48 hours in the fast so I might only fast for 48 hours at a time, at least initially.

Lately I've been 75-77 kg and I think my boobs are bigger than they used to be in my pics.

edit:
    I've been talking to my flatmates and one was concerned it wasn't healthy. I said the guy in the video does very strenuous exercise and weights so he would be quite healthy. He also would have a fat percentage of maybe 5-8% so he is knowledgeable about burning fat. They also said I should talk to my GP and I said I already did a few years ago. They are all Christians and I talked about how fasting is in the Bible and three of them fasted for 40 days. Also an obese guy fasted for 100+ days. They said that people shouldn't go without food for more than a couple of hours.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 01-11-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    They said that people shouldn't go without food for more than a couple of hours.
    What are these people eating?! I don't think I could eat every couple of hours and not be stuffed and having to shit all the time.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    What are these people eating?! I don't think I could eat every couple of hours and not be stuffed and having to shit all the time.
    I guess they are eating high-calorie snacks like chips. The woman you said that you have to eat regularly is very obese.
    BTW when my flatmate was 130 kg he didn't do poos much. But sometimes he would do a huge unflushable poo and I had to pick it up and get rid of it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    I guess they are eating high-calorie snacks like chips. The woman you said that you have to eat regularly is very obese.
    BTW when my flatmate was 130 kg he didn't do poos much. But sometimes he would do a huge unflushable poo and I had to pick it up and get rid of it.

I now envision you kicking down the bathroom door to rescue your hysterically screaming roommate who just completely destroyed his sphincter passing a poop the size of ET.

Type
    INTP
    I fasted before chemo one round. I can't remember for how long, 2 or 3 days? I was pretty hungry after about two skipped meals but the hunger did pass and after that I was fine. I was what I call "intellectually hungry", where I knew I was hungry but the hunger was more of a thought than an uncontrollable urge to shove food into my pie hole like it normally is. I worked and worked out throughout. No issues. It didn't help the chemo side effects though, in fact I think it made them worse in the long run.

Anyway, if you decide to fast for more than about 48 hours, make sure you eat a vegan whole foods diet for ~48 hours prior, and reintroduce foods slowly after, starting with juices and soups, and working up to fruits and vegetables, other vegan whole foods, and then return back to your normal diet once you've pooped normally on the restricted diet. People on my chemo board who just dove right back in after fasting with a huge waffle house meal always wound up with explosive diarrhea. Which of course could have been from the chemo, but I hear this is a common result of incorrectly breaking a long fast.

Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I fasted before chemo one round. I can't remember for how long, 2 or 3 days? I was pretty hungry after about two skipped meals but the hunger did pass and after that I was fine. I was what I call "intellectually hungry", where I knew I was hungry but the hunger was more of a thought than an uncontrollable urge to shove food into my pie hole like it normally is. I worked and worked out throughout. No issues. It didn't help the chemo side effects though, in fact I think it made them worse in the long run.

Anyway, if you decide to fast for more than about 48 hours, make sure you eat a vegan whole foods diet for ~48 hours prior, and reintroduce foods slowly after, starting with juices and soups, and working up to fruits and vegetables, other vegan whole foods, and then return back to your normal diet once you've pooped normally on the restricted diet. People on my chemo board who just dove right back in after fasting with a huge waffle house meal always wound up with explosive diarrhea. Which of course could have been from the chemo, but I hear this is a common result of incorrectly breaking a long fast.
    When I got my wisdom teeth removed, I had to eat liquids only for a few days. I broke my solid food fast with a mcdonalds meal and I thought I was going to die...I vomited it all back up. I was only 14 at the time and did not know any better.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    Eeeee, Jeremy Clarkson's body is every bit as gross as his opinions
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    At 5pm yesterday I was getting a headache so I thought I'd have some salt and eat cold deli meats (salami, roast beef, ham). Then I had a lot of Macadamia nuts. Now the plan is to fast from 8pm to 4pm. I bought a lot of things. I got some bacon bones to make a bone broth. I will use that to break my fast at 4pm.

Update - it is 2:30pm and I did a watery diarrhea while typing. About 2 hours ago I had a drink containing 1 tsp of Himilayan pink salt, 1/4-1/2 tsp cream of tartar, a bit of lime juice (only in short fasts) and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar which isn't meant to break the fast based on this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-uKeFbzpCs
    Soon after I did more watery diarrhea then did some somewhat firm poos. Maybe it was due to having a lot of water/liquid and no food for about 17 hours when I'm not used to it. Or it could be toxins. Normally in my diarrhea I never have firm poos. 30 minutes after the broth the plan is to have eggs, maybe a tbsp of cocunut oil (not sure if that is good) and macadamia nuts. Then later I plan on having strawberries, cold roast beef and microwaved frozen vegetables like brocolli and cauliflower.

Yesterday I inquired about colonic irrigation (that is next door to my work). It is $120 for an hour. Perhaps its effect would have been the same as my watery poos except that apparently it can remove a lot of the good bacteria in the large intestine.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 01-12-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post

I now envision you kicking down the bathroom door to rescue your hysterically screaming roommate who just completely destroyed his sphincter passing a poop the size of ET.
    In slow motion. With the theme from 'the bodyguard' playing full ball.

"AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII....WILL ALWAYS....LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Type
    INTP
    Was watching
    How to do a Keto Diet: The Complete Guide (done by the same guy)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBw2rdwBfZE
    He says the fat to protein ratio should be about 3:1 in the first week then about 2:1

Then I was researching the Warrior Diet (which I heard about a while ago)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5rpN1HIS0
    This says that the original Warrior Diet didn't involve long fasting but the creator of this video made a new version that involves 20 hours of fasting and 4 hours of feeding - which I'm currently doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IbwRCNrChU
    Here he says to do exercise while fasting (I could do it in the morning doing knee raises, dips and chin ups using my equipment and some push ups) and to minimise carbs though it isn't really necessary to do that and you'd still burn fat for fuel.