Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fasting diet - just water, black coffee and salt

Type
    INTp
    I ike fast for several days at least once a month because I discovered it enhances my unschooled meditations immensely, and I like meditating quite a lot.

As for the health consequences, I have no clue.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Weight loss plans that hinge on grand gestures are typically unsustainable and/or unhealthy.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    I've water fasted for 5 days and dry fasted (nothing, not even a shower) for 3 days. Nothing bad happened. I suppose one has to know how to properly fast, especially as dry fasting is much more effective. There are many videos on YouTube discussing the subject. Breaking the fast is the most important/critical part of the endeavor.

Keto + intermittent fasting (+ HIIT) tends to be better if trying to lose weight.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Weight loss plans that hinge on grand gestures are typically unsustainable and/or unhealthy.
    In one of the Warrior Diet videos he said that the 20 hour fast per day can be done for years at a time. The main guy does 20 hour fasts about 3 days a week. Also they do strenuous exercise (see the muscles of the main guy in the videos) so they are quite healthy - I mean I don't think they got those muscles from illegal drugs.

Type
    INTP
    It's 5am and I did a few really skinny poos - I don't remember doing that before. Yesterday and today I haven't really felt hungry at all - maybe because of the water and black coffee. I sometimes felt a bit like going to sleep in the late afternoon. The diarrhea hasn't happened since late yesterday afternoon.
    I haven't peed much since yesterday. Normally I pee a lot. Though I did have a lot of watery diarrhea yesterday. Since 5am my throat has been extremely dry and uncomfortable even after drinking 1+ litres of water. I was thinking that food could help but I want to keep the fast results happening as soon as possible. Maybe it is from inflammation of the thyroid. So I had some ibuprofen and water with pink himalayan salt.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 01-12-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    In one of the Warrior Diet videos he said that the 20 hour fast per day can be done for years at a time. The main guy does 20 hour fasts about 3 days a week. Also they do strenuous exercise (see the muscles of the main guy in the videos) so they are quite healthy - I mean I don't think they got those muscles from illegal drugs.
    If that is a lifestyle that appeals to you, go for it.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that ill advised small decisions are what typically get us to a point of being out of shape, and better small decisions are a good way to reverse that.

Like if you take the grand gesture approach to getting fat that some people do to getting thin it would be like deciding to eat as many big macs every single day as we can possibly fit into ourselves and to just push through it no matter how much it hurt, no matter how unpleasant, until we reach our desired goal of being really fat.

Approaches to losing weight that say, "I am going to only eat one meal per day and I'm going to spend 5 hours every day doing hard cardio, and then lift weights, and push through it no matter how unpleasant, no matter how much it hurts. That's no way to live, and healthy weight loss approaches do have to factor in quality of life or they won't typically last. I know there are some people whose personalities lend to being able to handle some of these really extreme lifestyles, and if that's what you want in your life, to live and extreme warrior lifestyle, then go for it.

I generally give myself a week or so before dieting when I start exercising strenuously after letting myself get out of shape. It feels a bit like self sabotage to both drastically increase the demands you place on your body and drastically decrease the amount of fuel you give it on the same day. Generally I will start losing weight even before I begin the diet if I just stick to the exercise, and then I can just gradually reduce my calorie intake.

One more Edit: I did do more drastic programs of weight loss when I was young, but at my current age (47) drastic measures without proper acclimation usually result in injury or illness.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 01-12-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    I did a google search for "fasting dangers". The official answer at the top was:
    Side effects of fasting include dizziness, headaches, low blood sugar, muscle aches, weakness, and fatigue. Prolonged fasting can lead to anemia, a weakened immune system, liver and kidney problems, and irregular heartbeat. Fasting can also result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies, muscle breakdown, and diarrhea.
    Diet Myth or Truth: Fasting Is Effective for Weight Loss - WebMD
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...ve-weight-loss

Though it says:
    ...the basic premise usually starts with a strict regimen allowing only water, juice and/or some kind of laxative concoction. Some plans allow a few solid foods, but are still called fasts because they provide so few calories....
    So it isn't even about proper fasts.

In the thread's title, I said "just water, black coffee and salt". I read that coffee helps reduce hunger. Then I found this:
    https://www.precisionnutrition.com/r...-coffee-hunger
    Conclusion
    While caffeine has long been used as an appetite suppressant, in this study it was decaffeinated coffee that resulted in significantly lower hunger levels and higher plasma levels of PYY than placebo (plain water) and the other caffeinated beverages.
    So I'm using decaf now. My mum and sister thought caffeine was bad anyway.

About salt: I heard that if you are having a lot of fluids your salt levels can get too low. So I had a lot of salt - a teaspoon at a time in water. Then I was sweating. I thought that my body needed more salt but now I think it was trying to get rid of it. Then muscle spasms in my hands got so bad that I couldn't click on things with my mouse even when I was using two hands to guide it. I rang 13health and they asked me about heart attack symptoms. They recommended that they call an ambulance. At the hospital all of the blood tests were normal.

Type
    INTP
    I found out more info about why my flatmate went from 133 kg to 71 kg - he apparently spends 45 minutes washing his hands before eating food. This means he doesn't eat on many occasions. But at night he eats a lot of chocolates and chips to try and maintain a safe weight.

Type
    intp
    All these fad diet are dumb as hell and unhealthy Johnclay.

I can give you a new one if you're interested. I'll call it the Stig diet. Interested?
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    XXXX
    I inadvertently fasted for almost 24 hours a couple days ago, but this is not totally uncommon for me.

Also, I've found I can power through some incredible work demands with a large bag of trail mix alone. Though there normally comes a time afterwards that I'll ravage an enormous portion of food.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book