Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chess

Type
    INFP

Chess

Does anyone here like chess?
    (Why or why not?)

Also, if we ever get an arcade, it should have a chess section.
    Last edited by Dot; 01-30-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Type
    INTP
    I used to play chess on Pogo a lot.
    I also used to tutor chess at a local Boys and Girls club.
    Haven't played very often in recent years though.

Type
    ENTP
    I play on occasion. I'm not very good, but I've at least gotten better over the last few months. I joined chess.com and used the tactics trainer a lot - it really helps.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    XXXX
    Sure.. I love chess. I started playing about a year ago as a hobby. Now that I'm busy with school I mostly do puzzles, or online chess at chess.com, and put the settings at a couple days per move. It sounds like a long time, not that I typically use it, but allows you to really analyze your moves, question the best positions, etc. You just have to watch out for cheaters who use chess engines. (it's pretty obvious when that's the case) Etiquette is that you bring only your knowledge to the game. If anyone wants to add me, I'll play you. My screen name is ewright87m.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    I used to play chess on Pogo a lot.
    I also used to tutor chess at a local Boys and Girls club.
    Haven't played very often in recent years though.
    cool.
    It must be fun to tutor chess (and I hear it can pay well).

Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    I play on occasion. I'm not very good, but I've at least gotten better over the last few months. I joined chess.com and used the tactics trainer a lot - it really helps.
    I think that early/intermediate chess is mostly about memorization of patterns, so it takes a long time. Then at a certain level it starts to require a more intuitive/holistic/creative understanding of the patterns. (at least that's what I've heard.)

edit: what's the arcade forecast?

Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    Sure.. I love chess. I started playing about a year ago as a hobby. Now that I'm busy with school I mostly do puzzles,
    I often find chess puzzles more fun than 'real' chess. The competitive aspect gets stressful.

Susan Polgar's website (and book) has fun puzzles.

Here's one. I haven't figured it out yet. I'm pretty sure that pawn to f-5 is the first move
    (white to move, checkmate in 9 turns)

or online chess at chess.com, and put the settings at a couple days per move. It sounds like a long time, not that I typically use it, but allows you to really analyze your moves, question the best positions, etc. You just have to watch out for cheaters who use chess engines. (it's pretty obvious when that's the case) Etiquette is that you bring only your knowledge to the game.
    chess people seem to be etiquette-challenged a lot of the time. at least at the level I play(ed) at. I guess the pros like to have a smooth image (with a few exceptions...bobby fischer for example).

If anyone wants to add me, I'll play you. My screen name is ewright87m.
    sure! I'll have to join chess.com first. I've actually only used yahoo chess, and yahoo chess, like yahoo itself, is .
    Last edited by Dot; 01-31-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Very occasionally. I'm not especially good, but I enjoy it from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    The musical? Yes, it's one of my favorites. If you ever have a chance to see a production, go. Even a small one. They put it on from time to time in little theaters in L.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by chobani View Post
    Here's one. I haven't figured it out yet. I'm pretty sure that pawn to f-5 is the first move
    (white to move, checkmate in 9 turns)
    Oh, god. A checkmate 9 moves out? I think youre way ahead of me, haha. I'll give a look though. Should be fun.

Type
    xxxx
    i wanna get better at chess but i'd rather practice with real life people and idk if i should be practicing with people better than me willing to take the occasional "teaching" role or with others around my skill level. i just know i don't wanna spend any money.

with go i imagine it'd be even harder to find suitable partners.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I know how to play chess :P Which is to say, i'm aware of the rules. I read a book or two while younger. But something about it never quite grabbed my heart.

I feel more of an affinity for go, and i imagine if i ever end up playing a board game regularly, it'll probably be that. But i just can't really bring myself to do online board games....