Thread: So, I painted a gun ...

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate

So, I painted a gun ...

or a blaster, rather. And I was told I needed to give my gun a name and then hang it from fishing line and take pictures of it against a black background and make a slowly spinning 360 degree rotation animation like in a video game in the select your weapon part and to use Blender to do it.

Except that I'm not a gamer, so I can only imagine what one of these animated videos would look like.

Anyone got a link to a vid I could check out?

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INFP
    I want to know what you named your blaster.

Type
    INTP
    I thought this was going to be a joke about 3D printing a gun with those free plans the NRA thinks are the bees knees.

I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean with hanging what I assume is a 2D image of a gun from a fishing line. Alas, I would be of no help even if I did.

Type
    INFP
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    I want to know what you named your blaster.
    Raspberry Riot

I wanted a girly name since for some reason if you look for NERF and GIRLS you get crossbows. Apparently girls and guns don't go together, but whatever.

Want to see a picture?

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean with hanging what I assume is a 2D image of a gun from a fishing line. Alas, I would be of no help even if I did.
    It's a 3D IRL dart gun I painted. The fishing line is clear, so would help to achieve the effect of floating / spinning in air, which could later be easily photoshopped out. I also don't exactly know what that guy meant, but he was so enthusiastic when he described it that it sounded to me like it must be something typical in a video game; I believed this animation effect must be some kind of standard. When I looked for sample videos, I only found vids with POV angle, (first person shooter? is that what they call it?), stuff like this:

But I'm curious what retro games did with their weapons before first person shooter (is this the right term) came into style. Maybe he's talking / referring to something typical in a retro game? I don't know.

"

The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    It sounds like an arcade game thing. I don't play either but I could picture what he meant, sounds like a fun idea. What would you do with the gif, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I thought this was going to be a joke about 3D printing a gun with those free plans the NRA thinks are the bees knees.
    When I was putting the clear coats on yesterday, I already started dreaming / brainstorming about random things I could design and 3D print to put on the scope mount atop the blaster. I downloaded OpenSCAD, and followed the first couple of tutorials. Even started dreaming about the second gun I want to paint and already have a name for it: Disco Damager; and yeah, there will be a mini-disco ball bling dangler hanging off the end of the pistol holder / hand grip. The stupid thing is that I only wanted to paint the gun, but I've disassembled it and reassembled it so many times and am getting familiar with all the guts and their part names, that I've started researching and planning upgrades: replacing springs in the plunger to make it shoot faster and further and moding the styrofoam darts, filling the tips with hot glue, to make them shoot more accurately.

I'm surprised how fast I went from having zero interest in Nerf guns... This started last week as a girls and guns and martinis party. We were only supposed to paint the guns girly. This was the other girl's idea and I just wanted to be part of it, so I joined. ... Now I feel as if I could become a fanatic. So weird.

"

The Art of War

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    It sounds like an arcade game thing. I don't play either but I could picture what he meant, sounds like a fun idea. What would you do with the gif, though?
    Keep it as a souvenir and gift the gun to the other girl. She got a new job and will start next week. Since they have Nerf Blaster wars at work, she wanted to get and mod a gun in preparation. I have no use for gun, so if I take some cool photos and play with animation, then I would have a GIF for my portfolio and I could give her my gun so that she has two guns in differing colors to match differing outfits or to just save time in a battle by switching to the other gun because reloading is slow.

I don't actually want the gun. I just wanted to make it.

"

The Art of War

Type
    INFP
    It's 1 am here, so I will head off to bed.

@Toth, I uploaded a pic to Pinterest since I couldn't figure out why I couldn't add it to my photo album here on the Complex.

In case of curiosity:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/246149935870326622/

"

The Art of War