Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Base 6 is the base of the matrix

Type
    INTJ
    Your finger counting mother is the base of the matrix.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Hi I got out of the mental ward yesterday. The day before I met a new guy and was talking about base 36 (0-9A-Z), etc,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base36
    I had just had 6 treatments of "Electroconvulsive Therapy". I had forgotten about this thread. I think I was keeping to myself but then I couldn't help myself when I came across a guy. I said to him that I have no visual imagination and he agreed. I had written down his name on some paper but couldn't find it. Then I tried ringing the hospital but they wouldn't let me get in contact with him (maybe for the sake of our mental health)

I think ECT is kind of like deleting memories in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotlesss Mind". What is left over is a self that isn't very confident / self-motivated.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 03-16-2019 at 02:31 AM.

Congrats on making it out, sorry about the extra volts

Type
    INTP
    It sounded like a lot of your self confidence before you went in to the hospital had become grandiose mania, so having less self confidence should help you actually achieve your goals.

Type
    INTJ
    Octal is the base of the Matrix. Obviously it isn't six, it's eight. You've forgotten to explain the sub-layer carriers.

Type
    INTP
    @Hephaestus remember that time we got into it about whether or not a base 12 number system would be better than base 10 for everyday use if it were the default, universal system? Did you ever see the error of your ways?

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    @Hephaestus remember that time we got into it about whether or not a base 12 number system would be better than base 10 for everyday use if it were the default, universal system? Did you ever see the error of your ways?
    Honestly, as someone who regularly uses their fingers as an abacus, base 6 would make more sense. There's definitely some inefficiency in using one hand for groups of five. I just can't see myself using base 12 natively. But, the conversion from base 6 to base 12 on the hand abacus wouldn't be too bad if you use the half finger method to make every finger on your group worth two groups of your ones hand.

I do revisit it from time to time though, because I eventually came round to Tau.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    That warms my heart.

Type
    INTP
    BTW this is the connect 4 set in the mental ward:
    https://sky-walker.net/temp/connect4.jpg

19 red, 23 yellow. Numerically that means 1+9 = 10 = 1+0 = 1 red, 2+3 = 5 yellow. I've been buying lots of connect 4 sets to see if I can find any more sets with those numbers.

When a guy talked about the meaning of life, I showed him this set - that it is 6 x 7 (42 items). I'm not sure how it fits base 6 though.

I remember talking about the song "blue" and how just about everything at the time was blue (blue boxes everywhere)

Type
    INTP
    It seems the most common name for base 6 is senary:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senary

It was good to see the finger counting was like how I thought...

The fractions/decimals are good.