Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is religion good for?

Type
    INFP
    I don't care what you believe so long as it isn't shitting on my lawn.

Type
    INTP
    A friend of mine told me a funny story the other day. She had been working for a small company producing films in East Africa. They were half way through a project when the founder, and core producer, got malaria. It was so bad that his fever was insane and he was intensely delirious. After he came back from his trip and was thankfully recovering, he claimed that he had "found Jesus" and that he was going to dissolve the company to pursue the path of God or something like that. So, a few weeks later, mid-project, the company is gone and my friend has no job. She's decided to start her own company with another of her colleagues (also female).

In conclusion, religion is good for. . .women trying to break into male dominated industries!

Type
    INTP
    Religion's been good for me. I get a lot out of it at various times.

a historical context to spirituality
    A language for spiritual experience
    Embodied ritual
    Community
    A context for grappling with the nature of existence and the beauty and horror of human history

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    I don't care what you believe so long as it isn't shitting on my lawn.
    What if it shits on your lawn, but they pick up the shit in a little bag and take it away?
    Some days you're the bug; some days you're the feature.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I think religion itself isn't good for people so much as the community is (this varies greatly on the specific religious community obviously). If you get involved in religion, you have an instant social network with no effort needed. I'm sure that has a lot of value, especially today's world where it's so easy to be completely isolated from anyone outside of work. I was even listening to an NPR program about how there's these atheists that go to "church" with each other just for that community involvement.

Personally I'd rather just volunteer or something.

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Johnson's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    An atheist of reason could have a purer heart than that of the most devout irrational christian.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    xNxx
    Prayer and faith are amazing things. Prayer is a weird hybrid of stoicism and intuition, you just kind of log things away against a vague sense of ethics and then literally wait- not a bad idea for most interpersonal problems. Faith is the best anti-depressant or anti-anxiety you could ever take. Hope is the sad, weepy cousin of faith. You hope you're going to have a good life, you have faith that god has a plan for you.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck
    Faith is the best anti-depressant or anti-anxiety you could ever take.
    Because it's a precursor to acceptance. "Lord give me the serenity to accept things I cannot change". That's where the stoicism / Buddhism lies. Some just find faith to be an easier stepping stone.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"