Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motivation

Type
    INxP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Bitterness and spite. A determination to not let the world and all of you fuckers ever see me accept defeat.
    WOW, one must wonder if thou doest take this Internet thing a bit TOO seriously :-D

Quote Originally Posted by hubieg View Post
    I would argue that those nameless people put together contributed more overall to society than that one big name person.
    To illustrate Heph's argument... Assuming you live a full lifespan, you, a single human being, will contribute about 25,000 pounds of shit, 10,000 gallons of piss, and you will consume half a million cubic feet of pure oxygen, and probably at least 60 billion calories worth of food. If you are a vegan, that's 600 billion calories of the sunlight that struck the planet. Add another zero to the calories consumed as meat, and yet another if you consume the meat of a predator. Add to that the calories of fuel we use to schlep ourselves around, light up the world, keep ourselves warm and cool, make forum posts, and endlessly entertain ourselves.

Assuming that the birth of a human will typically result in a net gain for society is ludicrous.

Maybe what motivates me is my desire to be worth at least as much as the trouble of the actual shit I caused. Future time travelers aren't going to go back in time to kill Hitler, they are going to go back in time and kill the baby boomers...though I suppose you could argue that they are his fault too.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    To illustrate Heph's argument... Assuming you live a full lifespan, you, a single human being, will contribute about 25,000 pounds of shit, 10,000 gallons of piss, and you will consume half a million cubic feet of pure oxygen, and probably at least 60 billion calories worth of food. If you are a vegan, that's 600 billion calories of the sunlight that struck the planet. Add another zero to the calories consumed as meat, and yet another if you consume the meat of a predator. Add to that the calories of fuel we use to schlep ourselves around, light up the world, keep ourselves warm and cool, make forum posts, and endlessly entertain ourselves.

Assuming that the birth of a human will typically result in a net gain for society is ludicrous.

Maybe what motivates me is my desire to be worth at least as much as the trouble of the actual shit I caused. Future time travelers aren't going to go back in time to kill Hitler, they are going to go back in time and kill the baby boomers...though I suppose you could argue that they are his fault too.
    But it will be a net gain when it's my baby.

You all are welcome.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Quote Originally Posted by Makers View Post
    But it will be a net gain when it's my baby.

You all are welcome.
    I'm feeling pretty confident that both of @stigmatica's kids are worth the resources. Of course everyone feels that way about kids they are related to.

Although I didn't have any babies of my own, I've got an ongoing role in the lives of his babies, especially now that they are adults. In social species where siblings contribute, childless aunts and uncles contribute significantly to the success of an individual, and I can really see how that works now that some of my nieces and nephews are adults. They need parents more than anything as kids, but having an additional layer of committed adult in the previous generation is especially handy when they have moved out into the world.

And as far as my genetic contribution to future generations goes...they carry the same proportion of my genetic heritage as my grandchildren would if I had grandchildren, and between stigs and otherbrothermatica (not a member here), I have 4 of them, and all 4 of them have an a childless aunt in their corner as an additional wisdom resource. In other words, I have, genetically speaking, 4 grandkids already. One is already a college graduate and in a great grad school, one is in college, another is possibly going to be valedictorian in her graduating class, and the fourth will probably be on athletic scholarship. Two of them at least are going to be baby crazy when they marry. I'm doing great genetically.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    I can only hope to at least contribute a sane person into the world, somebody who can see through all the bullshit.

(I've actually already checked her star chart, and I'm pleased with the stars )

Lord knows millions of idiots are breeding and contributing millions more idiots.
    Last edited by Sinny; 02-10-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by hubieg View Post
    Actually Im sure I could count how many times ive seen those 2 movies in my 54 years on one hand. To me its just the seemingly random nature of life and its progression, Considering that any other non living system in this world actually degrades over time, one must wonder why that doesnt occur with life in the big picture. Im also NOT saying that we automatically do good by the nature of our birth. Its just different. A problem I have with (my memory of) Its a Wonderful Life, is its not a given that everyone was worse off because he didnt exist. In his case it could just as well that his "contribution to society" was multiple generations into the "future" and he simply had gone through life as just another shmuck.
    I suspect you didn't see the entire thing then, because they laid out a pretty clear argument. First they showed what his life had been in a highlight reel. Then they showed what happened when he'd never been born, and the consequences of his existing for the moments that made the highlight reel. Therefore, it was a given that everyone was worse off if he'd never existed, in that it was very clearly demonstrated. That's what the whole movie was about.

The real question is, what would have happened if Mr. Potter had never been born.

I don't believe in contribution by genetics. I think that's some seriously arrogant hubris, and is the driving force behind overpopulation and a major contributor to most human misery. There are billions of people who think it's critical that they breed, and all of them are wrong.
    Some days you're the bug; some days you're the feature.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INxP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    I can only hope to at least contribute a sane person into the world, somebody who can see through all the bullshit.

(I've actually already checked her start chart, and I'm pleased with the stars )

Lord knows millions of idiots are breeding and contributing millions more idiots.
    Amen!