Thread: Android Pie

Android Pie

Just got my pie update. It's a much bigger increment of change than your average update and overall I am pleased. But maybe that's because of dark mode. Oh man I loooove dark mode. Battery life is improved (prolly cuz dark mode, duh), and things seem faster as well. I can't tell if I'm going to like the gesture nav bar until I'm used to it, but I can always go back to the three buttons if I want. Since my pie was bundled with a new samsung UI, it's hard for me to tell what changes came with what.

Anyone else have pie yet?

How many of you are in the "my phone/tablet is perfectly functional except for the fact that they stopped updating it" place.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    I don't understand anything about this post.

(I realize that I am a technological dinosaur.)
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    intp
    My phone keeps pestering me to update, but it's never a good time!
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    My phone keeps pestering me to update, but it's never a good time!
    This should sweeten the pot... in night mode (you can leave it always in night mode), your pull down menus are dark and won't make you hate yourself if you check your notifications in the middle of the night. I went all in and gave myself true black wallpapers and put every app that has the option into night mode or dark mode. A pure white pixel uses 6x as much power as a black one on an amoled since a black pixel has no light whatsoever. The effect on battery life is noticeable.

I know you don't have a note, but you could impress your daughter with this one: go into the keyboard settings and toggle the selector for "writing pad comes on when pen is detected" and she won't have to hit that teeny "t" when she wants to use pen input.

You can also set it to optimize automagically every day on a schedule, and to restart on a schedule, ranging from daily to weekly. I get a fresh restart while I'm sleeping at night now.

Edit: My biggest disappointment is that Samsung did a 180 on adoptable storage. They teased us with promises, but no dice. Fuckers.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 02-09-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    How many of you are in the "my phone/tablet is perfectly functional except for the fact that they stopped updating it" place.
    Apparently, this is the only kind of phone I buy.

On the plus side, I didn't have to wait for Google to give me dark mode. I've had it for years.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Apparently, this is the only kind of phone I buy.

On the plus side, I didn't have to wait for Google to give me dark mode. I've had it for years.
    I've been meaning to flash Nougat or Oreo to my note pro 12.2 SM-P900, and there are some custom roms for it that everyone says are great, but I'm always put off by the dire warnings that if I do one little thing wrong I'll brick the thing, and I kinda need it for most of the writing I do when not at home. It's stuck in Lollipop unless I get a custom ROM. Lollipop is one update past the kit kat it was originally shipped with, which is unforgivable because it was Samsung's most expensive tablet of their entire lineup...they ditched the whole line, and stopped updating the ones they had because surface pro was stealing their productivity tablet niche. Still annoyed about that. I have taken exceptional care of it and it still looks brand new, but one by one, my goto apps are losing functionality because they aren't bothering to support lollipop anymore. It's not a hardware issue. Despite being 5 years old, the thing has an 8 core processor (4x1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & 4x1.3 GHz Cortex-A7) and a GPU and 3gb of RAM...it could handle Oreo no problem. The battery is still as good as ever, but I doubt that will be the case forever. Maybe I should just be saving up for a surface pro. It just burns me up that they don't support even their high end products for more than a year or two. I have an android tv (nvidia shield) that is almost as old, and Nvidia has no plans to stop updating it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I don't understand anything about this post.

(I realize that I am a technological dinosaur.)
    Lol, same..
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Best surprise pie feature... I'm going to call it Bluetooth agency.

If I'm listening on one bluetooth audio device and I walk past a second one that I have paired to in the past, my phone no longer hops from the one I'm already listening on to the other one. I can switch devices, but I have to decide to. It will still pair with the other active bluetooth device, but it won't swap me from my bluetooth headset that I use for talking on the phone to the bluetooth headphones I left on in the middle of a phone call, or from the headphones to the headset in the middle of a song. I can also get in my car with my headset on and pair to my car for nav and internet access, but remain on the headset for call audio. Handy when other people in the car don't want to be part of the conversation. If I turn my headset off, it will automatically switch to car audio.

It's the little things.

Type
    INTJ
    I've had it for a while, though it's Huawei's flavor of it, behind their "EMUI" interface. I think I still see a lot of it that's "stock pie" anyway.
    One of the first things I did was make the background black, I do not like white menus, with their pinchy-ass brightness.

I'm still getting used to swiping apps up to close them. I'm just glad it's nothing like an Audi interface, where rotating a weed grinder counter clock wise makes the selection scroller go down.

Type
    intp
    After having it for a bit I'd give it a good score. The dark mode is great and I'm now used to the new swiping for open apps selection and it's an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber