Thread: Feeling of Accomplishment

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Feeling of Accomplishment

can you describe what "accomplishment" feels like for you?

do you actually "feel accomplished" when you reach goals? or are you immediately onto the next thing?

is there a connection between this subjective sense of accomplishment and "objective" accomplishment, in your experience?

if someone wanted to "train" themselves to "feel accomplishment" (assuming this reflects reality, and they're not being delusional), where would they start?

is there a better way to word all this? haha
    i sneeze like a grandpa.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post

do you actually "feel accomplished" when you reach goals? or are you immediately onto the next thing?

is there a connection between this subjective sense of accomplishment and "objective" accomplishment, in your experience?
    I haven't got a lot to feel "accomplished" about... but when I check things off my to-do list, I feel productive... it's the same feeling I get when I tidy up. Tidy space, tidy mind. I can let things slip with procrastination, but then guilt inevitably seeps in and then I have to change something, or do something.

if someone wanted to "train" themselves to "feel accomplishment" (assuming this reflects reality, and they're not being delusional), where would they start?
    No idea.. start with a check list? and celebrate when you get through it?

Is there a better way to word all this? haha
    Probably..

I dunno, maybe just try to be more optimistic and set realistic goals..

I'd like to have accomplished much more in life by now, but you work with the hand your dealt.

I've pretty much had to look after myself since the age of about 14, other plans got put on hold - mostly because without any security at "home", you have to look after yourself, bounce from job to job, and with rent to pay, you keep working those jobs.

But besides university not yet working out, or even a career - I just try to look on the bright side of what I can say I've done.
    Most millennials are in the same boat as me, we've all been failed by the education system, the jobs market and society in general.

I don't think having a baby on it's own is anything to feel particularly "accomplished about", any eejit can breed.

But personally, I've always wanted a daughter, but always been shit scared of pregnancy, labour and commitment. In my personal life, I've now tackled those things and accomplished them. .. well, some aspects are a work in progress, but isn't everything.

Lord knows why we're on this planet, living this existence... But all we can hope to do is survive, improve ourselves, and try to improve the world. It's the little wins that count.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    xNxx
    I've achieved some goals, they're just not anything like the objective accolades and rewards I've received as part of doing my career. My goals are things I've made, and I can go back to them and enjoy them periodically and know that, even if nobody or very few people like them, I set a goal and achieved it out of an almost perfect void. The rewards and accolades, things like good reviews and charts positions and streaming numbers, other people congratulate me for them because they're visible, but I don't feel them at all the same way... in fact I had to train myself to be gracious and accept compliments and congratulations.

Type
    INTP
    When I set out to do something, and I actually get it done. Efficacy for the win.

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Johnson's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    It is about training yourself, a form of emotional masturation, feeling the chills, for me I shake my hands like Hulk Hogan getting pumped up, then I feel like I'm listening to the cool part of Fix You by Coldplay when tears stream down your face, but the reasons could range from flipping off a bum to a more concrete achievement.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    It feels like a tiny "yay!" and then a slight (short-lived) buzz afterwards.

Bit of both. Perhaps even for many, the feeling of accomplishment whets the appetite for more. As they say, "success begets success"...

...No. Not that I can think of atm...

Rewards. Start with cookies.
    Last edited by noip; 04-13-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Type
    INFx
    It's a kugelblitz swishing around in your chest, which lifts you off your feet and propels you upward and forward.

As others have mentioned before, this generally only happens with personal victories, other people's compliments are empty in comparison.

Type
    xxxx
    Really simple.

Lower expectations. You'll always feel good about yourself.