Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat litter recommendations

Type
    INTP

Cat litter recommendations

My sister brought her cat* from Japan. All she knows is Japanese cat litter.

We've never had an indoor cat before. We know nothing.

Cat people, what are your litter system recommendations?

*corrected because phone typing -_-
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 05-06-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    That "clumping" cat litter (tiny little balls that turn to clay upon contact with urine) is a nightmare because it gets betwen their toes and they leave it all over the house. Not to mention cleaning the box is difficult because you have to scoop up hardened clay.

The "absorbing crystals" are awful because they also drag them around and if you step on them barefoot it's like stepping on glass. I can hardly believe it doesn't hurt them as well.

Just go for the cheap coarse gravel kind. It can be a bit dusty (leaving paw prints) if the quality is bad, but it's the lesser evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/tr...oda-7l-p-26364

we use that, with a little mat between the cat litter box and the door to tap residual tracking. has a tendency to create a fine dust layer around the kitty litter tray, but other than that is worked better for us than the other products, and its not registering on the air quality measure we've got got, so thumbs up...

Type
    INTP
    Thank you!

Any tips on what kind of box to use?
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Wood pellets. It's cheap and cheerful. We recently bought a month's work for £5.99

The clumping stuff is awful and I'm not fond of the gravel.

Other stuff branded "odour neutraliser" is excessively expensive.

But just stick to the wood pellets and you can get buy a separate jar or odour neutraliser, you just sprinkle it in.

Make sure the litter tray is lined with newspaper (the only thing I buy the newspapers for) and use a shallow pile of pellets.

Then you just change the litter every day.

I prefer to use less & change often, rather than use loads & change less often... And that's how you keep the odour at bay. Using less also means its more easily cleaned, it's not heavy to pick up, you just empty the tray into a small bin liner, with no fuss.

Try to always keep the litter tray on a hard, washable floor & away from carpet.

The less that builds up, the less often you have to "deep clean".

I've got to change my cat litter today. Actually a day late because I was too lazy yesterday, wish I never because it's a lot grosser today. Gonna need a disinfect & rinse.

I'll show you mine in a sec.

https://imgur.com/a/gSXphwr
    Last edited by Sinny; 05-06-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP
    https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-prec...gaAl6GEALw_wcB

More expensive, but lasts twice as long as anything else I've seen. I scoop it every night, add more as needed, and do a total change every couple of months when the smell becomes detectable.

I also use these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bX2z3qsyjQ ... I keep them next to the box so that scooping litter isn't much trouble. I buy off brand refills for a fraction of the cost. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784BRYYJ...?psc=1&ie=UTF8
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    I've got a cat litter scoop, can't say that I ever scoop poop though.

I just change the whole thing.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Apologies for my potato quality typos, on mobile again

We scoop twice a day, currently in sync with reliable nappy changes (once in the morning after sleep, and once before baby bed time), so I just combine the two, and garbage chute is just out the front door, so haven't worried about needing bins or anything.

Top up the litter arbitrarily, full change every few weeks or so. Obviously that's a bit dependent on the product.

I'm terms of cat litter box, we've got just a basic plastic tray, but with a raised edge. I think it depends a bit on the cat, but ours misses the box if its just a low edge one, but manages 99% of the time with this. There's fancy boxes and even robot scoop ones we've seen, but haven't really used them or thought about upgrading.

Type
    INFx
    You can train your cat to use a human toilet. It takes a few weeks, however.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You can train your cat to use a human toilet. It takes a few weeks, however.
    Do you have to have any special sort of lid?