Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're in a Small Apartment Building

Type
    INTP
    I'm gonna hang tight until I hear someone revving up the chainsaw.

Type
    INtP
    I don't live in a traditional apartment building, it's more of a renovated big house split into apartments. Anyway there are two units on the upper floor and one couple moved in there recently. We called the cops on the guy since he had a long angry screaming match with someone in the alley. I found out later that he and his girlfriend had been fighting in their unit earlier and she had yelled for someone to call the cops (we were either gone or in the part of our unit where we can't hear anything else that goes on). Apparently this neighbor didn't call the cops because....? Not sure why, she said that the woman is "a piece of work" so apparently parts of the woman's character made it hard to have compassion about the situation.

Once in awhile I hear them fighting but I can only make out his words when he's yelling and some indiscriminate banging. If it was in the middle of the night, I'd call the police to get them to STFU. During daytime hours I have just let them be, as I haven't heard anything that is conclusive evidence of physical violence. Part of me wants to call if it's at an unreasonable hour, but they will know who did it and I'm afraid of some angry fucker messing with the vehicle that we street park or something crazy.

Type
    INtP
    Also, total aside but the weirdass way this residence is set up--I realized that if they were yelling in the middle of the night (or smoking inside and making my place smell like a goddamn ashtray), their utilities control are in *MY* unit.

I literally could cut power to them and they have no access to the panel. The POWER.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Yes, I'd call the cops if something indicated force was being used.

I only ever called the cops as a witness when two people were fighting on my street. I didn't care about the fight per se (maybe they had good reason, I'm not judging that), just that it was on my street. So if they want a place to fight they should go somewhere else.
    I would have watched them whilst drinking a cuppa tea in the window.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Probably if I thought that the cops could intervene in some positive way.

Arguing by itself isn't illegal, so they'd have to be making too much noise at unreasonable hours, or I felt like some kind of significant violence has/is/will taking place. (Not to be un-pc, but I probably wouldn't interfere if two bogans are just slapping each other/scraggimg in public for instance).

For better or worse, I was taught during security days not to interfere with relationship arguments if you can avoid it. People from outside usually form an incorrect impression of what's going on, make incorrect assumptions about who's doing what to whom, and never assume the weaker party isn't a threat or will thank you for intervening.

So yeah, except in the midst extreme situations, I generally have a philosophy of non intervention and trying not to appear on YouTube.

Bob dole don't need this.
    Last edited by ACow; 02-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Also, total aside but the weirdass way this residence is set up--I realized that if they were yelling in the middle of the night (or smoking inside and making my place smell like a goddamn ashtray), their utilities control are in *MY* unit.

I literally could cut power to them and they have no access to the panel. The POWER.
    If you are afraid to knock on their door and ask them to keep it down for some reason, this would be a great way to get them to come knock on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post

I like it! Your explanation, "I smelled smoke so I cut the power."
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Noise in the am.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INTJ
    Is the woman 'mouthy', does she look like she's asking for a slap when she talks to people?

Do they look like a shitty couple? - e.g. does she have a lower back tramp stamp, or even a badly drawn weed tattoo, or an ankle dolphin? -they might own a bull terrier dog and the male walks it on a chain type leash as it pulls at the collar in an untrained and wild way, or bolt after smaller dogs and other animals (much to its master's delight)

Are they otherwise good neighbors, or do they bring shitty people to the homestead? - like people in shit cars, with shitty sounding exhausts playing shitty loud music.

Would the world be a better place if they just...canceled each other out?

I don't think this matter is as binary as you might expect. I think it's morality fluid in its potential for caveats.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    if i heard screams, crashes or thuds.

fights that end abruptly followed by light thuds = somebody got KO’d
    i sneeze like a grandpa.