Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What nice little things do you do for your SO?

Type
    INXj
    Our relationship is far from perfect. I tell him how wonderful he is in every possible way I can. Like how cute he is when he picks his nose or how the sound of his fart makes me laugh out loud. I’m big on affirmation like that.

I also change and wash our beddings every week whether he appreciates it or not. Even when overwhelmed with frustrations, I don’t nag. I guess it’s a nice thing?

Type
    INTJ
    When meatloaf sang about doing anything for love but [I] won't do that. I think he was singing about not wiping a cat's dirty arse with a warm paper towel. I could be projecting, but I think that's what it was.

Type
    INTP
    Rub her feet.

Type
    INFJ
    Can this be answered in the past tense?? used to get ready made food( about 10 miles) as i came from work whenever she said she too tired to make dinner, like always..massage her every single night after her work out, as exhausted as i was....my little things did not count in the end though..life!!

Type
    INTP
    Little things : give him massages, bake cookies he likes (he has a sweet tooth), do his laundry

Big things : pay attention to him, make him a priority in my long term plans

Type
    xxxx
    There is a concerning amount of flatulence in this thread. The better posts seem to revolve around the sheer practicality of marriage. I'd be curious to hear what compels people to settle into such an arrangement; or at least what they believe their motivation to be.

Type
    INTj
    Mostly grocery shopping, meal prep, fixing stuff around the house. Finding depression treatments in the clinical trial phase and finnegling them into our mailbox. Coffee runs since I'm much more of a morning person.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    There is a concerning amount of flatulence in this thread. The better posts seem to revolve around the sheer practicality of marriage. I'd be curious to hear what compels people to settle into such an arrangement; or at least what they believe their motivation to be.
    I mean, don't you appreciate your husbando's flatulance?

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    As in, what attracts them to their partner, why exclusive monogamy, or what forces draw people together to share the practicalities of everyday lives?

I think most of mine would, again, be quite boring statements. At base levels there's sexuality and the human desired for entertainment/stimulation and emotional connection, on practical levels there's gains in almost everything from living with other people, assuming you can find other compatible people.

Of course, that last one is rare enough that for me that discussions of polyamory remain theoretical, and I think my own personality leads to isolation/one pairing at most in practice...

But so far we've built quite a stable and comfortable little home and relationship here that I don't think I would have been able to pull off myself, and i can honestly say that both of us are probably richer for it.

On the main thread topic: yesterday I did coffee runs, made dinner, cleaned some grit off one of her breast pump things she was trying to clean while she wasn't looking, turned on white noise at night, got up and settled the baby at 2 am because I was already awake, put kid to sleep, fed cat and did litter, ran some nappies out to the garbage shoot, folded laundry and got it out of the dryer, in charge of climate control, watched baby during Pilates. Again, very boring, practical things that sharing life are about.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    As in, what attracts them to their partner, why exclusive monogamy, or what forces draw people together to share the practicalities of everyday lives?

I think most of mine would, again, be quite boring statements. At base levels there's sexuality and the human desired for entertainment/stimulation and emotional connection, on practical levels there's gains in almost everything from living with other people, assuming you can find other compatible people.

Of course, that last one is rare enough that for me that discussions of polyamory remain theoretical, and I think my own personality leads to isolation/one pairing at most in practice...

But so far we've built quite a stable and comfortable little home and relationship here that I don't think I would have been able to pull off myself, and i can honestly say that both of us are probably richer for it.
    That is a very compelling reason indeed. Thank you for your elaboration.

Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    On the main thread topic: yesterday I did coffee runs, made dinner, cleaned some grit off one of her breast pump things she was trying to clean while she wasn't looking, turned on white noise at night, got up and settled the baby at 2 am because I was already awake, put kid to sleep, fed cat and did litter, ran some nappies out to the garbage shoot, folded laundry and got it out of the dryer, in charge of climate control, watched baby during Pilates. Again, very boring, practical things that sharing life are about.
    Congratulations on adding a junior to your family, by the way.

I wonder, when you attend to such an exhaustive list of tasks, what is your primary motivation? Is it necessity? Is it sympathy for your wife? Is it the joy of accomplishment, or the virtuousness of fulfilling what you consider a duty?

Type
    INTP
    Isn't it just the work of maintaining a comfortable household? Does it require extraordinary virtue for a man to do some of that work?