Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Examples of Doublethink

Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    We don't need to do anything about global warming as it is almost entirely natural. We are still coming out of the last ice age so continuing to warm.
    You're not saying anything Tony.

How does the current rate of warming compare to a natural post-ice-age warming?

Type
    INTj
    It is probably not needed for the communication and entertainment needs of individuals. It might be more about the internet of things. For example, for autonomous vehicles to become truly viable, traffic needs to manage as a network and this requires rapid communication between vehicles and a central traffic management computer.
    You know what, that is a pretty good argument for faster and more efficient rf protocols, although 5g as a brand is not quite that. For a brief stint I worked on wireless sensor data analytics, the protocols we have in place now are sufficient to manage autonomous vehicles on a city wide scale, if I had to take a SWAG ("scientific wild ass guess"). I would like to clarify that I'm very much in favour of the develop of better RF communication technologies, however SHF/EHF driven comm links are kind of a shit-show on the consumer level. I've seen rain and smoke knock out networks that use 30GHz+ frequencies. There are elegant solutions, I don't believe those solutions lie in the higher end of the RF band though.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    You're not saying anything Tony.

How does the current rate of warming compare to a natural post-ice-age warming?
    That is an excellent question and something I've been thinking about. The reason why scientists are investigating the effects of CO2 is the suggestion that the Earth is warming at extremely rapid rates. Having historically high rates of warming is a challenge to the claim that the warming is entirely natural and something I need to address.

I'd question how meaningful the average air temperature is as a measure of the rate of warming, how accurate the number is and how unusual the rate of warming is historically. The fact that the warming of the Earth's atmosphere has slowed and stopped in the last few decades despite a continued rise in CO2 levels also deserves mentioning.

@Faust's graph shows the rate of warming of the atmosphere from 2000 BC until now. The rate of recent atmospheric warming seems historically high compared to any previous warming in this time period. However, it could be natural for warming of the atmosphere to accelerate towards the end of an ice age because the rate of ice melting increases and humidity rises.

The atmosphere might have been warming rapidly until recently but the rate of sea level rise of 3.3mm per year is historically very low. I think sea level rise is a better metric for judging the rate of warming than atmospheric temperature.

The atmosphere has stopped warming and the sea level is rising very slowly. Why are people so alarmed? There is a real crisis of fear in the modern world, but that is a separate discussion.
    Love displaces fear

Type
    intp
    I think sea level rise is a better metric for judging the rate of warming than atmospheric temperature.
    Sure. Okay.

You forgot to zoom in on the end of the graph there, gdub:

Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    That looks like a scale distortion. The slope of the graph I posted for the section 11,000 to 9,000 years ago is 20mm per year. Your graph shows a rate of 2.1mm per year in the 20th Century.

Your graph shows a rise of around 0.2m between 1000 AD and 1500 AD then another rise of around 0.2m between 1500 AD and 2000 AD. It looks alarming in relation to the flat section between 1 AD and 1000 AD. Maybe the flat section is highly unusual and what we are seeing now is nothing unusual over the long-term.
    Love displaces fear

Type
    intp
    I'd question how meaningful the average air temperature is as a measure of the rate of warming [...] but the rate of sea level rise
    Yeah anyway. I think you could talk in circles forever.

"I don't really believe that [citation needed]. How about something else entirely..."