Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Totally normal things you were raised to think were decadent/prohibitive/wasteful

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    Frozen microwavable meals - We had to make our own lunches on days we were home from school and my parents always bought canned stuff for us to heat up. They would buy us microwavable dinners for us to make for lunch on our birthday or for dinner if they were going out and we had a babysitter. I thought they were some special treat or something...
    this is funny... i also thought canned food (soups and pasta like chef boyardee) was a treat.

to me it still kind of is, though, cuz it's tasty processed food and you get to be super lazy. it was the same attitude with fast food (and i'm glad for that).

edit: thread idea: straight up WTF things you were raised to think was normal. so many things come to mind...
    it's weird but fascinating.

Type
    INTP
    I just thought of something else.

Sometimes as a evening snack my parent would let me eat some cheese and pickles. It was kraft singles that were cut up into smaller squares and pre-sliced hamburger dill pickles. My parents would eat nicer cheese and pickles for their snack, but I still thought my version was fancy...

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Honestly, we didn't have a lot of money, but we didn't have little either. Most of my things were forbidden because they were viewed as too low brow rather than decedent. So for insurance, even though things like McDonalds and pizza hut and KFC were treats, they were treats specifically because they were bad.

Other things that were bad or trash included commercial news broadcasts, cartoons, various tv shows, and chips and fizzy drinks. I live a rather different life to how I grew up, but on those items I tend to agree and think, whether by design or luck or bias, my parents for me off to a good start in that regard.

Oh yeah, cheese slices, trash.

But I seem to remember some cheese sticks or wax covered wheel things for kids being acceptable.

Last edited by ACow; 03-08-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Like most of you here, didn't grow up well off. But I don't think there were things simply not done if the budget allowed, so we would go out for meals once in a while or buy high end foodstuffs, go to movies, whatever, if money was available.

I always ate packed lunches, so I was jealous of kids who could buy meals at school (there were no free school lunches if that is something you are referring too). Always the same lunch too - one can of cheap store brand soda, one sandwich, one piece of fruit, and one treat (like cookies, rice crispy square, can of pudding). Every school day, grades 1 through 12.

I also brown bagged it in uni. I swore once I got a job I would never pack my lunch again, and I never have.

For some other things, like Kraft singles or cheeze whiz. Those were my preference as a kid. I didn't like real cheddar. Just like hot dogs and baloney tasted just fine, can't stand them now, but never felt put out by them as a kid.

Type
    INTP
    Anybody else just not eat lunch for most of their schooling?

I was tempted, once, to buy a roll of the tickets they used at my school for lunch vouchers--you could buy them at the office supply store.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTJ
    Eating out.
    I remember when McDonald's first started coming to the UK. The smell of coffee and fries wafting through the air. We really had to nag to be able to have some of it, we probably got it once a year and there was only one in the whole city on "the ramp" into the central shopping centre.
    Other than that, I can't remember eating out at all before I was sixteen unless we were at a wedding or with a relative. I think eating out to us was maybe fetching Chinese takeaway at best.

Heating the whole house.
    I used to daydream about having heat in more than one room in the winter. Especially when that one room was filled with the smoke from both parents' cigarettes and my bedroom was so cold you could see your own breath when you breathed out. There was ice on the _inside_ of the windows on especially cold winters and the louvered windows did nothing to help keep heat in, or water/moisture out.

Having a family car.
    My school was on the other side of the city, about eight miles away, or two public bus rides. The buses passed through some of the worst neighborhoods in town, including a rival school district where people from our schools had stabbed each other. By high school, wearing your school tie/colours through enemy territory was an obvious death wish. I got mugged about four times on the bus, including once by a grown ass adult who took my bus pass after exchanging burglary house keys with his cohort.

Going on vacation.
    Many years we just went nowhere. It was tough when returning to school and being told to do descriptive writing about where we'd gone on vacation during the summer holiday. I think I made something up a few times.
    I thought of being driven or getting on a train to the beach was a holiday and that getting on a plane and flying to a foreign country for a vacation was just outrageously decadent. I remember hearing of some kid's whole family flying to Spain and thinking they must be rich. The same family who bought a car, (A Ford Sierra) the year the model came out. (That kid manages a supermarket now)

Coca Cola branded coke (!)
    mmm Rola Cola, Panda pops, Masons and the dreaded "our cola" If it was anything other than water, we were getting orange squash/cordial concentrate that you added water to. We did start buying things like that by my teens, but as a kid it would generally be turned down, along with "fancy" wasteful breakfast cereal requests, such as coco pops.

Going to [the] Hospital emergency room.
    This one is swayed by my mother becoming a nurse when I was born, but basically if you were actually going to ER, you were likely dying. Between my brother and I, despite some pretty nasty injuries and sicknesses, only my brother managed to be taken when they thought he'd consumed a bottle of aspirin (he'd fed them to our fish) I once split my eyebrow upon, falling onto the corner of the living room table, but got sat on the washing machine and stitched up with a sewing needle. I've had 102F fevers with vomiting and hallucinations and still not seen a doctor!

Type
    intp

Type
    INFP
    I was forbidden from wearing all black when I was a little kid because the local guys who wore all black were being murdered like hotcakes by guys in red. It wasn't an explicit rule in my teens but there seemed to be an understanding that I wasn't to wear all black even though we had moved to a different state. I still can't bring myself to leave the house in all black. I left without a jacket just today for this very reason. Now when I enter a room full of cool adults they're all black clad and I'm dressed like Punky Brewster. I've remained internally goth throughout.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 03-08-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: My childhood

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    As per @Limes, I've got one that actually fits the thread title: heating and air con.

Every time I get worried about taking the baby out in the heat, I remind myself I grew up in Queensland with no fans or aircon. So my upbringing tells me aircon is decadent.

When we moved to Canberra the ccold almost killed me, metaphorically, and I remember spending the winter sleeping under at least two sleeping bags. The second house we lived in had ducted heating, but turning it on was an exercise in calculations and closing rooms up. And there were no ducts in my room.

The exception to heating is natural fire: that is to say, going out into the bush and collecting the wood yourself, bringing it back, putting it in a fireplace or pit and setting it alight with matches and tinder.

Our Brisbane house has a fireplace and is on a couple of acres, so I have good memories of sitting by the open fire of a night, roasting marshmallows, and helping pick up sticks and fuel from the gum trees.