Thread: Inedible Abominations

Type
    INFP

Inedible Abominations

from the websites that come up first in google whenever you try to search for recipes. Post the best ones here.

Airline Chicken Breast

Mac and Cheese Soup

Mushroom Spinach Mac and Cheese

""Tofu adds a creamy texture to this healthy spin on Macaroni and Cheese! Great for a side dish or as a meal by itself. Top with bread crumbs, crushed crackers, or cereal before baking if desired.""

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    This is as ballsy as it is sad. The translated backstory is, some family fell a notch below macaroni and cheese poor, but managed to stay above ketchup soup poor by diluting their macaroni and cheese.

It reminds me of a dish my dad and I used to make, partly as a Star Trek joke regarding half-dead racht--a Klingon food consisting of live worms.

I started it by developing what one might politely call an inside out perogie. When I was 10 or 11, I'd make top ramen, and add mashed potatoes flakes and an egg. Sometimes cheese, sometimes sauteed onions. The resultant mass I then tried to put a crisp crust on in a frying pan, but wasn't often successful.

My dad took the concept and added a can of diced tomatoes and a can of beans. It made it more nutritious than just being bowl of carbs, and it made it slightly more appetizing by making it easier for queasier stomachs to not see the ramen noodles as worms. To counteract this, we called it Dead Racht. Later this got shortened to Glop.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    This is as ballsy as it is sad. The translated backstory is, some family fell a notch below macaroni and cheese poor, but managed to stay above ketchup soup poor by diluting their macaroni and cheese.

It reminds me of a dish my dad and I used to make, partly as a Star Trek joke regarding half-dead racht--a Klingon food consisting of live worms.

I started it by developing what one might politely call an inside out perogie. When I was 10 or 11, I'd make top ramen, and add mashed potatoes flakes and an egg. Sometimes cheese, sometimes sauteed onions. The resultant mass I then tried to put a crisp crust on in a frying pan, but wasn't often successful.

My dad took the concept and added a can of diced tomatoes and a can of beans. It made it more nutritious than just being bowl of carbs, and it made it slightly more appetizing by making it easier for queasier stomachs to not see the ramen noodles as worms. To counteract this, we called it Dead Racht. Later this got shortened to Glop.

Fast forward to today's irony, I roll my eyes at spaghetti pie. Mostly because I first saw one in the frozen foods section of a Wal-Mart.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I am concerned that this thread will turn into me bashing poor people's food choices, and american cuisine in general...

First of all, i want to collectively laugh at the prospect of anyone trying to actively advertise their meal as 'Airline' inspired.

"Have always wanted all the pros of small space, artificially limited, for profit, industrialised impersonal cooking in your own home...well now you can!"

I am just going to leave this from the melbourne reddit thread:

"American visiting Melbourne here. I bought donuts for the office this morning, typical American breakfast not so much Aussie brekkie. I bought 2 dozen for $60 (wow!) was only able to give away 10. I have some learning to do."

Mmmm, breakfast...

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Fast forward to today's irony, I roll my eyes at spaghetti pie. Mostly because I first saw one in the frozen foods section of a Wal-Mart.
    It's everywhere. This horror even popped up in one of my favorite food blogs: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipe...hetti-pie.html
    I don't understand.

My own inedible abomination that I used to eat at least every other day a few years ago was rice with mustard. I should submit that to allrecipes to complete their dystopian project.

Also, to internationalize this thread further, there's a trendy soup where I am known as "blood soup." It is what you think it is.

Type
    INTP
    Spaghetti pie actually looks kind of good. Really just a variation on lasagna as far as I can see, but with a more even distribution of the pasta.

Years ago, a restaurant I visited regularly had "baked spaghetti" on the menu, which is basically the same thing without the oddball association to the word pie. I ordered it fairly often.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I find rice porridge (congee) to be pretty horrible, it’s literally just super watery rice https://www.thespruceeats.com/basic-...ecipes-4065244

It tastes exactly as you’d expect. Somehow falls below even grits on the taste/texture scale because at least grits can be improved with butter and aren’t watery if done right.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    I find rice porridge (congee) to be pretty horrible, it’s literally just super watery rice https://www.thespruceeats.com/basic-...ecipes-4065244

It tastes exactly as you’d expect. Somehow falls below even grits on the taste/texture scale because at least grits can be improved with butter and aren’t watery if done right.
    Have you ever had indian/thai rice pudding that's been fucked sideways with spices?