Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ridiculous Products

Type
    INTP
    I may be an automotive dinosaur, but an SUV made by Porsche or Maserati strikes me as ridiculous. Either buy a proper performance car or a proper (and cheaper) SUV.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I may be an automotive dinosaur, but an SUV made by Porsche or Maserati strikes me as ridiculous. Either buy a proper performance car or a proper (and cheaper) SUV.
    I saw a Maserati Sports Turbo-Diesel SUV the other day near here. I think that as a vehicle is pretty ridiculous.
    On the other hand, I've been throroughly impressed seeing the Tesla Model X SUV, beat sports cars, while towing the sports car they're racing. Here is an example where the X beats the 0-60 time of an Audi TT, while towing an Audi TT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gr0DHA2sUo

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    About the can, I'd say that everything people might think of about the can is in line with the image that Tiffany would want to project...frivolous, ostentatious, decadent, etc. That's actually the kind of language they'd want attached to their items because they're looking for people who want to show off. Same thing goes for when people were complaining about anthropologie selling a bundle of sticks for $40 - the more complaints about frivolity, the better. More publicity, and precisely targeted language in that publicity.

Ridiculous, but coldly calculated, no doubt.
    The name Anthropologie reminded me of a former female colleague who would wear the most garish, lopsided, randomly patched-up clothes. I can't remember the name but it was some Spanish brand, I believe.

Usually people's sartorial choices are of no concern to me, but those clothes were a screaming eyesore. I declare this my entry for this thread.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The name Anthropologie reminded me of a former female colleague who would wear the most garish, lopsided, randomly patched-up clothes. I can't remember the name but it was some Spanish brand, I believe.

Usually people's sartorial choices are of no concern to me, but those clothes were a screaming eyesore. I declare this my entry for this thread.
    I'm guessing it was either Custo or Desigual, both of which I love and used to wear a lot. I was also a huge fan of Anthropolgie back in the day. I still go there sometimes but my current aesthetic is close cut long sleeve shirt plus jeans so I've moved on to Splendid as my go-to clothing store.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I'm guessing it was either Custo or Desigual, both of which I love and used to wear a lot. I was also a huge fan of Anthropolgie back in the day. I still go there sometimes but my current aesthetic is close cut long sleeve shirt plus jeans so I've moved on to Splendid as my go-to clothing store.
    Yes! It was Desigual, thank you. I couldn't shake the image of a particular coat that looked like somebody had repurposed an old, torn, shabby quilt, but now I have closure, thanks.

Out of curiosity -- I'm not judging --, what exactly constituted the appeal of those brands for you personally?

Type
    INTP
    I tend to like gaudy things. And it was significantly different from other things on the market. American clothes tend to be rather drab and boring. I still have a few of their shirts, but none of them cover my port so I'm not wearing them for the time being.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    American clothes tend to be rather drab and boring.
    Compared to European clothes, South American, or Mexican clothes? I guess we're pretty boring clothing-wise regardless of where you stage a comparison