Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential race

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post

Part of the impeachment inquiry is because the pattern of stonewalling and obstructionism from the White House. Mueller pretty much said that his office can't prosecute for obstruction of justice, it's not his job. Barr, McGahn, Hicks, Donaldson, have all defied Congressional subpeonas. Let's not forget Trump is also suing private firms in order to get them not to comply with Congressional subpeonas. Of course he doesn't want his crimes to get out, he's fucking scummy. It's been less than a year since Trump shut down his Foundation because it was funneling money to him and his businesses. The Attorney General used the phrase "shocking pattern of illegality."

So yeah, the Dems know this isn't going anywhere. But they do know he is a crook who is hiding a boatload of shit, especially countless violations of the Emoluments Clause, for example. Going through the legal step of impeachment inquiry gives the House additional legal muster to demand certain documents from the executive branch. The WH will still whine and cry executive privilege probably.
    The obstructionism has reached historic levels. The system of checks and balances is being questioned.

The White House barred an ambassador who had knowledge of the Ukraine situation from giving testimony. White House Lawyer also wrote "Never before in our history has the House of Representatives -- under the control of either political party -- taken the American people down the dangerous path you seem determined to pursue," and the admin has flat-out said they are not going to cooperate with the investigation.

Firstly, you don't know your history if you've not heard of the impeachment process ever happening.

Two, you think you can ignore subpeonas, or that you can render void a Constitutional process just because you don't like it?

Type
    INtP
    Federal prosecutors on Thursday charged two associates of President Donald Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani with a sprawling scheme to oust the former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine by funneling foreign money into the campaign coffers of Trump and an unnamed congressman believed to be former Republican Rep. Pete Sessions.

"These allegations are not about some technicality, a civil violation, or some error on a form. This investigation is about corrupt behavior, deliberate lawbreaking," William Sweeney, assistant director in charge at the FBI's New York field office, said Thursday during a press conference detailing campaign finance charges against Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman.

The two men were arrested Wednesday evening at Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C. as they were waiting to board a one-way overseas flight.

Parnas and Fruman, both witnesses in House Democrats' impeachment inquiry into Trump, had lunch with Giuliani at the Trump International Hotel in Washington hours before they were arrested Wednesday, according to the Wall Street Journal.

CNN reported that "prosecutors were not intending to unseal the indictment against the Giuliani associates" on Thursday, but "their hand was forced by an attempt by Fruman and Parnas to leave the country."

WELP.

(Also I miss Fitz, these are literally historic unprecedented shit going down and I'm the only one talking about it like it's my personal blog or something. He'd post about this shit occasionally too, where the hell are you. Goddammit)

Type
    INTP
    (Also I miss Fitz, these are literally historic unprecedented shit going down and I'm the only one talking about it like it's my personal blog or something. He'd post about this shit occasionally too, where the hell are you. Goddammit)
    Paging @Neville
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    I completely given up following American politics, you'll went peak crazy in 2016.

I'm patiently waiting for Russia & China to kick you off the world map.
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.

Type
    INtP
    Rudy Giuliani is now the subject of a criminal investigation, resulting from the illegal funneling of money to GOP dark money campaigns. This will be the second personal lawyer of Trump's to be investigated for criminal matters in the last four years (with McGahn almost included in that since he said he'd rather quit than follow directions to break the law). Is this real life

@Sir Caveat you still support this administration? 9 out of 10 die-hard Republicans still do. Why?
    ---

If Neville is still here, I'll eat my hat. Good thing we paged him, there's no other Americans in the forum who could possibly be following politics

Though Neville for sure would know about the Justice Kennedy/Kennedy's son who works at Deutsche on Trump's accounts/Trump/Russia connection. His unexpected resignation makes more sense in that context.

Type
    INTP
    If Neville is still here, I'll eat my hat. Good thing we paged him, there's no other Americans in the forum who could possibly be following politics
    I had mostly tuned out but this 'event' has gotten my attention.

Trump's timing on abandoning the Kurds in Syria is astounding, and sends a hell of a strong signal to everyone on how he stands by his allies /s.

Type
    INTx

@Sir Caveat you still support this administration? 9 out of 10 die-hard Republicans still do. Why?
    ---
    I can see you're exercised about removing the president from office. The thing is that many on the left have been hyperventilating about him not being fit for office and digging for dirt to remove him since before he was even inaugurated. It's getting tiresome to follow the arguments back and forth.

I haven't been following deeply the latest drama and I'm not much interested in doing so at the moment. I do know that the administration was initially forthcoming in releasing the record of the Ukraine telephone call and the whistleblower complaint. Prior formal impeachment inquiries of presidents were preceded by a vote of the full house. In the face of the departure from that prior practice, the administration is not cooperating with the proceeding. I'm not saying that's Constitutionally appropriate, but it's not the first time that an administration has not been fully forthcoming with providing information to Congress when it questioned the good faith of Congress' inquiry. Eric Holder was held in contempt for not providing all the Fast and Furious records requested by Congress.

I do think Democrats can make a strong case that Trump isn't fit for office. He is impulsive, erratic, and says some off the wall shit. At this point nearing an election, I think the best forum to do so would be with the electorate.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

If people say the president is a Nazi, why are his supporters being treated like Jews. The Nazis were the liberal masses we see today.
    abstractionist

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Johnson View Post
    If people say the president is a Nazi, why are his supporters being treated like Jews. The Nazis were the liberal masses we see today.
    1) In your words, what did the Nazi's do to the Jews and how did the power structure that existed allow for that to happen?

2) In what ways are the things stated in your earlier answer happening today?

You stated a very..."intriguing" premise that needs some supporting evidence.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Johnson View Post
    you have a type of humor that's like you throw a rock in the air and then it lands on your head but you still pretend there's plausible deniability