Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108
Results 1,071 to 1,073 of 1073

Thread: 2020 Presidential race

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    For gun control to be feasible at all, you would need two things: widespread public buy-in and long-term solutions to significantly limit the trade of illegal weapons.

I think those are worthwhile goals, but there are other steps that are much more doable in the short term.
    Would help if in the first place people could agree on what gun control is for. I thought the conversation was usually a reaction to mass shootings, but even when the occurrences are still fresh in people's minds you'll get red herrings about street crime and illegal arms.

I'm pessimistic about limiting illegal trade. Firearm homicides are on the rise here with guns smuggled from south of the border. It's too difficult to police and the supply is endless. Though mass shootings are a rarity, and guns are still around. The most recent perpetrator was ex-military and managed to procure illegal arms, last one before that was in '89 with legal arms, which paved the way for laws we have today. Since then the U.S. has had several instances of shooters that fit the makeup of the Polytechnique shooter: young, disturbed incel sort, easy access to legal arms. It's not like mental health care is much better here.

Absurd as it seems, I think young would-be killers who'd fantasize about that kind of thing are literally too lazy to jump through the hoops in more restrictive places, won't even try to get one off the street. They have power fantasies, if they were responsible and equipped enough to get licensed, they'd also have the rest of their shit together.
    Last edited by Faust; 06-29-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    For gun control to be feasible at all, you would need two things: widespread public buy-in and long-term solutions to significantly limit the trade of illegal weapons.

I think those are worthwhile goals, but there are other steps that are much more doable in the short and medium term.

For example: evidence based policing and early childhood interventions such as the Nurse Family Partnership.

Type
    XXXX
    You guys really bring up gun control after the riots moved into the suburbs?
    Lunacy, trump autowins now.