Page 65 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential race

Type
    INTP
    Democrats spent the last four years wrestling with a pig, instead of focusing on solving the problems that got the pig elected.

Most Americans aren't seeing any benefit from this "amazing economy" (which is just as much fake news now as when trump was calling it that). It would be easy to beat him if the DNC wasn't so corrupt and unwilling to acknowledge its past failures.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    At least I'm getting mine, I guess.
    Yeah. I'm not rich, but I am definitely not poor. I'll be 100 percent debt free as of the end of 2020 if nothing terrible happens.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    ^I agree completely. I'm bracing for four more years of Trump. But who knows. I think a lot of people voted for him last time because he was able to say contradictory things and they just heard the one they wanted to believe. Plus there were a bunch of people who didn't believe he would do the things he was saying he'd do; they thought he was just lying about his extreme views to get votes and they'd get a different guy when he got to the White House.
    Ha! That's exactly how Boris Johnson got elected over here too! Even went as far as writing two opposing pieces on Brexit and publishing them in different papers!

There's a fatal flaw in democracy, and that's how dumb the masses are.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INxP
    Imma put my neck out and disagree with y'all. I think this presidential election is the DNC's to lose.

I roughly base this off the fact that Hillary, one of the least popular candidates in modern history, still won the popular vote fairly comfortably against Trump in 2016, that many independents voting for Trump were really voting against Hillary, that many voting for Trump were doing so for the fuck-the-establishment/this-will-make-things-interesting factor (the novelty should now have worn off), and in general that I don't believe that Trump will bring in new supporters versus 2016.

If the Democratic candidate is someone like Sanders or Warren, I think they would coast to both a popular and electoral college victory against Trump.

I think that even a Buttigieg or Klobuchar would probably win, though it would be considerably tighter.

On the other hand, if it were Bloomberg or Biden, it might be more of a toss-up.

Maybe I'm wrong (I thought Hillary would win in 2016). Time will, however, tell.

Type
    INTx
    Bernie has intense support on the internet. Here's a negative CNN editorial on his climate change plan. I like to read the comments. They're vastly pro-Bernie, anti-"Corporate News Network."

Looking forward to the Nevada debate with a perfect Bernie foil, billionaire Bloomberg, on the stage.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    intp
    Nicole Najafi went on a date with every presidential candidate so you don't have to.

Type
    INTx
    Preferable to try the UBI experiment at the state level before implementing it nationwide.

"California Assemblyman Evan Low (D) introduced a bill this week to create a universal basic income in the state, giving residents over 18 years old $1,000 per month. Low introduced AB 2712 on Thursday, and invoked former 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang in his announcement of the measure. . . . Low's bill would establish a California Universal Basic Income Program funded by a new 10 percent value-added tax on goods and services in the state. According to the bill, those exempt from receiving monthly payments are those already using Medi-Cal, County Medical Services Program, CalFresh, CalWorks or Unemployment Insurance. . . . The bill still has a long way to go before becoming law, and must be approved in committee then approved by both houses of the state Legislature."
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    Preferable to try the UBI experiment at the state level before implementing it nationwide.

"California Assemblyman Evan Low (D) introduced a bill this week to create a universal basic income in the state, giving residents over 18 years old $1,000 per month. Low introduced AB 2712 on Thursday, and invoked former 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang in his announcement of the measure. . . . Low's bill would establish a California Universal Basic Income Program funded by a new 10 percent value-added tax on goods and services in the state. According to the bill, those exempt from receiving monthly payments are those already using Medi-Cal, County Medical Services Program, CalFresh, CalWorks or Unemployment Insurance. . . . The bill still has a long way to go before becoming law, and must be approved in committee then approved by both houses of the state Legislature."
    I've seen this and have reservations. First of all, you're not gonna get the countrywide incentive to move to places where the cost of living is lower and in turn bring more money and development to those areas. Second, not stacking with medicaid means a ton of this money is going directly to insurance companies. Another one is that they're paying "residents"... does that include illegal immigrants? What about prison inmates?

It just seems like it's leaving out a lot of the key components that would have made the Freedom Dividend work.

Type
    INTJ
    Joe Biden

He takes you to dinner at Chuck E Cheese. He notices a young girl with long hair and approaches her. In-front of her parents he sniffs her hair and tells her she's so beautiful and ignores you for the rest of the date.

Type
    INTP
    I caught some snippets of these debates again recently.. I saw "Warren destroys Bloomberg" and credit where credit is due, she fucking tore him to shreds

Bernie seems like a great orator - he might actually go the distance!!! Oh my!

If that's the sort of mud slingin I've been missing out on, count me in from now on!
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.